General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I setting myself up for disaster? HIM training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-01 12:57 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Subject: Am I setting myself up for disaster? HIM training
Am I setting myself up for disaster? My goal is a 1.2 Mile Swim, 54 Mile Bike and 13 Mile Run in early Sept. I am able to physically keep up and add time/distance, as it sits right now, I get 5-6 days to get in workouts. Tu, Th are Run in the AM swim in the PM. Sat/Sun is one long run the other long Bike. Of the remaining three, two are used for cycling, weather and other things dictate those dates.

I am set swimming and am just hitting the pool 2x’s for maintenance 1:20-1:30/100 my main set is usually 1500’s with a WU and CD I have no issues or concerns with the swim.

Currently I am running 2 @ 4.5-5 mi and one long, 8 mi. I am on target to be at HM distance soon, and am holding ~8:30 pace, at the top of Z2. My runs when I get my base will be 2 @ 5-5.5 mi and 1 @13 mi, and I might add one 5k tempo.

My cycling is in need of focus. I have slowly gotten to 15.5 MPH and I ride a fairly hilly area; my goal is to reach 18 in the same terrain. My longest ride is just shy of 20mi. I have 10 weeks to add 34 miles to my ride, is adding 5 mi a week to the long ride too much? Can I reasonably expect to see a 2.5 mph improvement in this time as well? I am trying to get to 2 45Min rides and a 30 mi long ride this week, I am a little behind the 8 ball on the cycling. I know is the key, but how can Imake the most out of the limited time I get?

2013-07-01 1:39 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

Subject: RE: Am I setting myself up for disaster? HIM training
You're fine. I would ramp up the bike even faster than that - you can easily handle 7-15 mile per week distance upgrades so you'll be at a 3hr length long weekend ride sooner rather than later.

You can just keep doing what you're doing for swim and just add to your long run very gradually so you're at near race distance in the week or two before race day, and you'll have a great race.
2013-07-01 2:42 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Ok, thanks, I was concerend about adding too much distance too quick. I know running you can adapt but there are consiquences to it.
2013-07-01 3:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by GotBackup Ok, thanks, I was concerend about adding too much distance too quick. I know running you can adapt but there are consiquences to it.

Generally speaking, ramping up on the cycling isn't that much of an issue because it's not weight bearing or high impact...so the risks of injury are much lower compared to running.

I would focus on riding as much as you possibly can from now till September.  Ride to commute if possible, extend those two weekday rides to 60-90 minutes, and ramp up on the long ride as well.  Don't worry so much about your average speed as much as trying to put the time and effort into each ride. 

2013-07-01 4:06 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
I would caution on addint to quickly on the bike.

I had long rides of ~40miles, then I did a 60miler and rode to work the folllowing week 3 times (15miles each way).

That was enough to trigger an overuse pain in my ankle/under my shin.
After about a month of recovery I still have slight pain/discomfort..

Hence I would advice to be cautios about adding on the bike.
Better to get into the race undertrained than injured!
2013-07-01 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Keep doing what you're doing and ramp up bike some.

2013-07-01 6:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Don't forget to start thinking about and practicing your hydration and nutrition.  These will be as important as fitness and pacing for your HIM.  As you start pushing your long runs and rides out use the opportunity to get comfortable with what works for you.

I've made some big strides with my cycling during focus periods so as others have said figure out a way to get as many miles in as possible.  Don't worry about pushing the pace.  That will come in time.

Edited by popsracer 2013-07-01 6:50 PM
2013-07-01 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Just continue to get time in the saddle. Don't worry about pace you'll drive yourself nuts. I'm similar to you in that I run well and swim well (by my standards) and lack in cycling. Similar to running I'd mix in some tempo work 1 day a week cycling but just riding in general you're going to get faster than where you are now. Also when it comes time for that HIM don't stop riding a 54 miles, assuming it's a true half you'd be a little short
2013-07-01 8:36 PM

You'll be fine, trust me. Good luck!
2013-07-01 9:01 PM
in reply to: 0

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Its a unofficial half, but I have other questions, and in no particular order here we go I will try to group my scattered thoughts.

Nutrition:

I have been working on hydration, and nutrition, I discovered that its ~ 40 per gel for me, but I would soon rather carbo load and keep to water, maybe a diluted electrolyte solution. I did have some week of race nutrition questions, I am planning on omitting solid food 36-48 hrs prior, and taking in either blended foods or the ensure/boosts. Simple easily digested carbs, I don’t want a gut full of fiber come race day. My nerves will be jittery anyways.

Bike:

I am a beginner cyclist, I ride road with clip one aerobars, should I get a rear wheel wobble when I pop up out of the saddle? Should I get a front wheel wobble if I pull one hand off the aero bar and grab water or look over my shoulder? I get a little rattle from the front derailleur in the big ring, is it a simple turn the screw solution? (I know these are rather subjective). Any tips for the chain and derailleur degreasing? I got the bike and it was dripping with grease, I used a combination of degreaser and solvents and got most of it cleaned up, dried it and gave it a nice coat of lube. It seems like there is an oil field of nasty old grease somewhere in this bike, and I always seem to get the chainring or chain to kiss my leg.

Clothing:

Sockless? I mean I don’t train sockless, but I plan on biking sockless, why now just slip the tootsies into the well broken running shoes and have at it.
Do I swim in tri top? I don’t own a wet suit, and am not interested buying or renting unless required.

I forgot, but is it frowned upon to take a hand full of chamois cream, A&D ointment or whatever and go south of the boarder in T1?

Edited by GotBackup 2013-07-01 9:02 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I setting myself up for disaster? HIM training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

For you HIM in training folks who are doing AM training

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1821 Posts: 17

2012-06-21 12:08 PM Rudedog55

Am I setting myself up for failure or injury.

Started by socalezrider
Views: 881 Posts: 6

2010-08-09 5:59 PM socalezrider

I am getting a wild set up for my aero bars Pages: 1 2 3

Started by pga_mike
Views: 6617 Posts: 63

2010-02-12 7:10 AM Leegoocrap

Am I just kidding myself here?

Started by bmbeggan
Views: 1029 Posts: 3

2008-08-31 9:21 PM thelunchbox

Am I just kidding myself?

Started by johnboy69
Views: 2119 Posts: 22

2008-02-04 9:59 PM ranger5oh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : December 17, 2007
author : GloriaTouchet
comments : 2
As women, many times our identity is lost by all that we do and everyone that we take care of. In the end, I accomplished that and so much more. Along the way, I rejuvenated and redefined myself.

date : April 9, 2007
author : Total Immersion
How familiar are you with the details of your stroke? Do you have ways, in the middle of a training set, perhaps while trying to keep up in a lane-circle, to keep your awareness acute?
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 1
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
Now we will add in the focus on how you will enter your hands in the water upon recovery, and how to rotate to the next side.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Team BT
Working only on technique will not make a swimmer much faster; some work must be done at speeds and efforts that could cause technique to deteriorate.