Annapolis Tri Club
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 44s
Overall Rank = 70/192
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 11/42
Pre-race routine:

up at 3:30 after little to no sleep. Ate half a bagel with peanut butter. Drank glass of water, some gatorade, and half a bottle of ucan in water. It was my first time so I asked a lot of questions from folks in my transition area. Had to bike over from parking quite a ways. Looked over swim course.
Event warmup:

ran up hill and back again. Easy run. Probably 200m total. Had to swim 100m out to swim start and tread water for 5 minutes so that was a warm up too. Stretched some.
Swim
  • 19m 59s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

very disorienting to be in a pack. Got bumped and ran into quite a few poor souls. Couldn't find a rhythm, breathing out of whack. Stopped frequently to do breast stroke and re-orient myself to the competitors around me. Nice warm water was very calm (until 50 women were thrashing around in it all at once), but very murky.
What would you do differently?:

Gotta practice more OWS. I should be able to do this in 16:00. No reason to be getting out of breath. Need to relax into it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

took a minute to run with bike and to get clipped in and go.. No wetsuit so that part was fine. Hair wasn't as much a problem as I anticipated.

Need to get more comfortable running and jumping onto bike to get started. Took too long.
Bike
  • 33m 10s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.88 mile/hr
Comments:

felt rough for first 2 miles then started rocking it. passed tons of folks. Felt fantastic. Wheeeee!

Need to do more bricks to get a better feel for an appropriate level of exertion during the bike. I am lucky it was a short course or I woulda been in trouble for the run. Need to drink more and have some sort of gel/gu before the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Not bad, but dropped bike while trying to run and mess with watch. Hair got caught in helmet, which took a moment to fix.

Should have taken a gel or something for some energy. next time put on race belt while running to start. Need to figure out a better solution for the hair. Practice running with the bike!!
Run
  • 27m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

soooooo humid!! I felt like I was moving at a snails pace. Results could have told me I averaged 10:30 pace and I would have totally believed it. My goal was to average 8:00 pace, but considering the condition of the trail and the humidity, I am happy with an 8:47.

need to hydrate and get more calories somehow. Ran out of steam in the run. Need to do more bricks to get more accustomed to that feeling of lead in my legs.
Post race
Warm down:

none.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

humidity! Not enough drinking and intake of calories

Event comments:

Wonderful location, absolutely gorgeous venue!! Bike was not as desireable due to rough road, speed bumps, and gravel patches- but it was very scenic!! LOVED the volunteer in the banana suit on the run course! Tons of volunteers and really great organizer- very responsive! Well Done! I will be back next year if I can! My only regret is that there weren't medals for finishing- since this was my first one I was looking forward to having something to put up on my awards wall.

Last updated: 2013-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:59 | 800 meters | 02m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 92/192
Performance: Bad
Suit: none
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:33:10 | 10 miles | 17.88 mile/hr
Overall: 71/192
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: lots of hairpin turns, really rough road, 3 speedbumps, and a patch of gravel around a turn. Not a fast course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:27:13 | 03.1 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Overall: 59/192
Performance: Below average
Course: trail run, some very muddy patches and lots of roots/rocks. Some short uphills.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-01 1:32 PM

Subject: Tri for the Environment
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for the Environment Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri)

Started by tribrz
Views: 1468 Posts: 1

2007-10-11 6:11 PM tribrz

Started by bootygirl
Views: 2147 Posts: 5

2007-10-13 12:49 PM Lara

Started by Kinesio
Views: 1171 Posts: 1

2007-10-08 9:40 AM Kinesio

Started by madkat
Views: 1759 Posts: 1

2007-10-06 5:59 PM madkat

Started by kirby
Views: 1833 Posts: 5

2006-10-04 7:42 PM ejc999
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.