General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-01 3:19 PM

Subject: NYC Tri
Doing NYC tri on July 14....

Any last minute advice from anyone who's done this race. Never been in a race with 3500 of my closest friends before!

One thing some one said is don't stand up at the end of the swim on the bottom b/c its muddy. wait til you get to the exit ramp.

(Please no "make sure your tetanus/hepatitis are up to date or aviod the hyperdemic needle in the Hudson" jokes or "make sure you ride a tank with all the potholes on the west side Hwy" jokes....have gotten plenty of those already.

2013-07-01 4:28 PM
in reply to: gzh6464

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: NYC Tri

Originally posted by gzh6464 Doing NYC tri on July 14.... Any last minute advice from anyone who's done this race. Never been in a race with 3500 of my closest friends before! One thing some one said is don't stand up at the end of the swim on the bottom b/c its muddy. wait til you get to the exit ramp. (Please no "make sure your tetanus/hepatitis are up to date or aviod the hyperdemic needle in the Hudson" jokes or "make sure you ride a tank with all the potholes on the west side Hwy" jokes....have gotten plenty of those already.

Way to go Captain Kill Joy.....   LOL.  A guy I know did it and said to make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get there.  Probably not much help, but that's what I got.

2013-07-01 5:41 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

In for some tips too. First Tri ever, nothing like a little event to get my feet wet!
2013-07-01 5:44 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by VGT

In for some tips too. First Tri ever, nothing like a little event to get my feet wet!

Check out the "My first tri" section in the articles here on BT.com, there are plenty of anecdotal tips in the stories told by fellow beginner triathletes.

2013-07-01 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4793081

New user
Bay Area
What I remmember from last year....

Arrive early -you really have no other choice.
Carry your wetsuit the mile to the start don't wear it - it was hot last year and you sat around a long time befor you started.
The swim bag drop off was well organized and worked well ( given this years security issues I don't know if it will run the same) . Take flip flops , a tee shirt and drop them at the swim start if that what you think you need.
The swim is fast and warm. Be prepared to go when your gun sounds. There is no lolly gagging.
There are dead fish- you have a wetsuit on so get over it.
Swim up the steps at the end. As others noted, you do not want to step in the mud.
There is a shower at swim out.
The run to your transition area is medium in length. Be prepared for it.
Bike
The transition area is grass. Last year had thunder storms during the night so stuff got wet. Your bike was designed to get wet but if it bothers you bring some plastic bags to cover your seat and controls.
Check your tires in the morning. The bikes are racked overnight and your tire "may" loose some air.
The climb out of transition is steep. Make sure your bike is in the correct gear when you rack it.
I don't remember any support on the bike. Make sure you have water (and drink it).
The bike has some fast parts so watch for other and for pot holes.
The last part of the bike is a slow up hill, after the final turn around, be prepared.
Run
The run is hilly and hotter than you expect. Take water when you can if its hot.
Great finish line with lots of support.
It's crowed in the finish area. 3500 people take a lot of room.
The walk back to transition really isn't bad and is faster than the other options.

Hope that helps. The pre race briefing is well done and required. They touch on most of this. Have fun and see you there.

2013-07-01 9:51 PM
in reply to: tii

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
tii gave a lot of great advice.  I would add that if you are meeting people at the finish, try to set a designated spot that is well away from the finish line itself.  It is really hard to find people at the end.

2013-07-06 4:09 PM
in reply to: tii

very helpful thx
2013-07-07 7:52 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Artemis

tii gave a lot of great advice.  I would add that if you are meeting people at the finish, try to set a designated spot that is well away from the finish line itself.  It is really hard to find people at the end.

They have a "designated meeting area" in the bandshell area just outside the athletes-only finish area. They have signs with every letter of the alphabet and you go and stand by the first letter of your last name and your family can come and find you there.
2013-07-07 7:58 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

They have a "designated meeting area" in the bandshell area just outside the athletes-only finish area. They have signs with every letter of the alphabet and you go and stand by the first letter of your last name and your family can come and find you there.

Some more advice:
There is a water station right as you leave T2. Lots of people are too rushed or too discombobulated from the bike and they run right past it, but the next aid station isn't until mile 1.5 or so, which is after the long, hot unshaded run across 72nd street, so it's a good idea to make sure you grab a cup as you go by.
2013-07-07 9:26 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
Chicago

Some more advice:
There is a water station right as you leave T2. Lots of people are too rushed or too discombobulated from the bike and they run right past it, but the next aid station isn't until mile 1.5 or so, which is after the long, hot unshaded run across 72nd street, so it's a good idea to make sure you grab a cup as you go by.

Im thinking of just putting all my bike and run gear into the provided plastic bag and hanging from my bike overnight so i can sleep in. Is that allowed?
2013-07-07 9:56 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by mr2tony

Some more advice:

Im thinking of just putting all my bike and run gear into the provided plastic bag and hanging from my bike overnight so i can sleep in. Is that allowed?

Do you mean you plan to drop off your stuff and then go straight to swim start on race morning?
If I remember, it's "allowed, but not encouraged". They don't want people setting up their transition until Sunday morning and having to worry about people's stuff getting moved or going missing.
Keep in mind that the plastic bag is a new thing, and it seems like there are a lot of new rules around security this year, so things may have changed.
Personally, I'd be nervous about dropping my stuff off on Saturday afternoon and not seeing it again until I showed up dripping wet and breathless in T1, but I know how you like to live on the edge...

2013-07-08 7:27 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

The last two years I was in one of the earliest waves so I set up my transition the night before and had no problems with anyone messing with my stuff. I checked my bike into transition just before transition close on Saturday, pumped up my tires and layed everything out with an extra towel over it to cover. I left extra stuff and my Garmin in my bag and it was fine. I admit that I do worry about it but I would worry about someone messing with it even if I set it up that morning. The morning of the race with the walk to transition can be stressful and crowded. If you have a later wave you will have extra time.

I agree with everything that Til says above although I never saw dead fish. The only thing I will add is that they have tire pumps set up for your use in transition so you don't need to bring a pump. Some of the bike can be very crowded depending on your wave and to compound that there are lots of first timers in this race who don't always stay far right.

Also, my first time I was super nervous about the Hudson River swim but I really like it and have done many open water swims in the rivers since. I was in the East River yesterday and I thought the water was very clean and warm (no wetsuit).

Keba
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike shipping for NYC Tri

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 550 Posts: 4

2006-06-18 5:59 PM AdventureBear

BT Get together at NYC Tri?

Started by NYtrigal
Views: 726 Posts: 6

2005-07-09 10:57 AM onthego2

uh oh - NYC Tri Store @ lunch

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1051 Posts: 8

2005-06-03 6:05 PM budstevens

Story: NYC Tri on a BMX

Started by charlie
Views: 620 Posts: 2

2004-10-27 9:23 AM TypeA Girl Pilot

NYC Tri Stuff Sale

Started by rollinbones
Views: 708 Posts: 2

2004-10-07 3:26 PM rollinbones
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : October 10, 2004
author : Team BT
The ONLY way to compete in my first triathlon was to do it on my BMX. I’m no professional—nor do I aspire to be one, I just want to be fit and healthy.

date : October 3, 2004
author : adumey
One of my fears, besides the radioactive material content of the Hudson River, was the water temperature. I found the water was much warmer as I inched closer to the holding dock.