General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Macabre biking thought... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-01 10:01 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: Macabre biking thought...

Almost all of the riding I do is on 55mph single lane roads with no shoulder.  Tis the nature of the beast here in Iowa. 

There have been two car/cyclist fatalities in our state in the last two weeks, and it has me a little spooked--I'm always concerned, but the recent events have put an extra edge in my ride.

As I was riding home tonight I thought, I wonder if I should write a note to my kids and my husband in case anything happens when I'm biking. 

I've never thought of doing that for any other reason.

I then spent the next 10 miles going back and forth between beating myself up for continuing to do something that would make me think I needed to write a "just-in-case-goodbye" note, and thinking, well my husband is a great dad, my kids would be OK, and you can't live life not pursuing your passions.

Have any of you actually written a note like that because you're concerned about the risk you take while riding?

2013-07-01 10:13 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Macabre biking thought...
Never penned that kind of note, thanks for giving me this thought to ruminate obsessively about! Totally kidding Switch.

Well you could likely Never say enough in a note.
Also thinking these thoughts while riding could certainly tense you up which you don't need,
If riding brings you joy then you are coming home to them as perhaps a more content and grounded Mother/Wife.

Take the precautions available to you and keep on riding!!!!
2013-07-01 10:46 PM

Haven't thought of that myself, but there are few things you can to to hopefully significantly minimize the risk:

1) Ride in cycle-friendly hours. If that means super-early, on wknds, do it.
2) Ride in groups if you're on fast-traffic roads.
3) Learn to love the trainer if the only times to ride are too risky. Rush hour traffic counts for that for me.
4) Bright rear lights. Even in daylight if you're that concerned. If you give the impression that you're dead serious about not getting flattened and are going out of your way to take extra precautions, cars give you a lot more respect - it's very noticeable, especially when it starts getting dark enough so the blinkies shine well. (Get a BRIGHT one).
2013-07-01 10:50 PM

User image

Pro

Dear Kids,

I got hit by a car, forking hell!!

Love,

Dad

2013-07-01 10:53 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left Brain

Dear Kids,

I got hit by a car, forking hell!!

Love,

Dad

Dear Dad, Eff you. Love, The Kids.
2013-07-01 10:56 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by yazmasterHaven't thought of that myself, but there are few things you can to to hopefully significantly minimize the risk:1) Ride in cycle-friendly hours. If that means super-early, on wknds, do it.2) Ride in groups if you're on fast-traffic roads. 3) Learn to love the trainer if the only times to ride are too risky. Rush hour traffic counts for that for me.4) Bright rear lights. Even in daylight if you're that concerned. If you give the impression that you're dead serious about not getting flattened and are going out of your way to take extra precautions, cars give you a lot more respect - it's very noticeable, especially when it starts getting dark enough so the blinkies shine well. (Get a BRIGHT one).
I definitely need to work on my trainer love. I have none. Bright blinky light--will do. Good tips. Thanks :)

2013-07-01 11:31 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
I ride a narrow road with pretty heavy traffic as well.  Have a red blinkie on my helmet and a second on my seat post.  I don't have a front flashing white light, but see them fairly often, from far away, in broad daylight.  Was wondering, has anyone every used one of those rear facing as they really are brighter and (I think) have a wider angle of view? 
2013-07-02 5:47 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
This is one of the reasons that 80-90% of my bike training is on the trainer nowadays.
2013-07-02 6:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by switch

Almost all of the riding I do is on 55mph single lane roads with no shoulder.  Tis the nature of the beast here in Iowa. 

There have been two car/cyclist fatalities in our state in the last two weeks, and it has me a little spooked--I'm always concerned, but the recent events have put an extra edge in my ride.

As I was riding home tonight I thought, I wonder if I should write a note to my kids and my husband in case anything happens when I'm biking. 

I then spent the next 10 miles going back and forth between beating myself up for continuing to do something that would make me think I needed to write a "just-in-case-goodbye" note, and thinking, well my husband is a great dad, my kids would be OK, and you can't live life not pursuing your passions.

Have any of you actually written a note like that because you're concerned about the risk you take while riding?

Read this post last night and wanted to comment but refrained so I could sleep on it... I have written two such letters and still have both; thankfully they are still sealed. One day (I) will open them and read my words of wisdom, but not in too much of a hurry for that.

While not due to the likelihood of a car/ bike collision, I think they serve the same purpose and are very effective at justifying your decision to pursue your passion.

I think we need to be like superman or woman in our daily lives otherwise we would do nothing because everything is dangerous to some extent. I think once you make the determination that what you do is dangerous you should take all the steps you can to mitigate the risk, lights, day glow, group rides, change routes or develop your trainer love.

This letter you speak of can/will make your life better. Knowing that at least you will be able to express your love, ideals, passions, hopes and dreams for your family, friends or anyone you would like to “speak to” just in case, makes your decision to go after your dreams (IRONMAN) or choice in profession (Military or Firefighter) more personal.

Why do we do what we do? I don’t know; but our “fabric” is made up of so many threads. I’m sure there are other areas you could address in the letter as well... Cycling on a busy road is a small part of who you (we) are…

Having written two of these letters I can say the first is the hardest.

You must think about the implications of what you write and understand the pressure you may place on someone (kids) by expressing “your” dreams and high hopes for their future.

My first “letter” had several drafts before I finalized it. I kept each draft (for a while) and reread them to see the change in my perspective… It was amazing to read the words change from what I thought was important to what is truly important.

I hope this helps and I do understand the “Fork” comment… Whatcha gonna do? Pretty SAD I had to look up "eff"...

I think your letter is a great idea but not something most people ever think about writing.

I would say once you wrote this post you have made a decision to do something.  Please look at t your situation and make changes to make your cycling “safer” but don’t let the recent events change you.  

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2013-07-02 6:07 AM
2013-07-02 6:23 AM
in reply to: 1_Mad_Madone

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I rode a lot of 2-lane country roads in Illinois and never worried about an accident.

Leave a note where you're riding and when you expect to be back.

All of the things you'd write in a note for them to read after an accident are the same things you might want to tell them now...face-to-face...constantly.
2013-07-02 6:36 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Hurt myself last year when I hit some road trash. After giving my training plan some thought I can tell you that exactly this thinking has now got me riding a trainer for the bulk of my time in saddle. Been taking my bike to a great paved trail in my town for my road time. Don't think my training has suffered any.

2013-07-02 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran

...makes your decision to go after your dreams (IRONMAN) or choice in profession (Military or Firefighter)... EDIT; add Law Enforcement... or insert your profession. 

2013-07-02 7:35 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by McFuzz I rode a lot of 2-lane country roads in Illinois and never worried about an accident. Leave a note where you're riding and when you expect to be back. All of the things you'd write in a note for them to read after an accident are the same things you might want to tell them now...face-to-face...constantly.

Agree to an extent but I also agree there are things we do not talk about everyday so...

It's easy to tell your family you love them but I think it is much harder to explain what "you are all about"...

2013-07-02 7:42 AM

A second blinky on the helmet is crucial. The one on the bike is good, but since it's fixed on the frame, some drivers don't see it. Even if you hold a steady position, your head's movements, however small, make the blinky move around and get the driver's attention way more than the one on the frame. I use both, personally.
2013-07-02 7:47 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by 1_Mad_Madone

Read this post last night and wanted to comment but refrained so I could sleep on it... I have written two such letters and still have both; thankfully they are still sealed. One day (I) will open them and read my words of wisdom, but not in too much of a hurry for that.

While not due to the likelihood of a car/ bike collision, I think they serve the same purpose and are very effective at justifying your decision to pursue your passion.

I think we need to be like superman or woman in our daily lives otherwise we would do nothing because everything is dangerous to some extent. I think once you make the determination that what you do is dangerous you should take all the steps you can to mitigate the risk, lights, day glow, group rides, change routes or develop your trainer love.

This letter you speak of can/will make your life better. Knowing that at least you will be able to express your love, ideals, passions, hopes and dreams for your family, friends or anyone you would like to “speak to” just in case, makes your decision to go after your dreams (IRONMAN) or choice in profession (Military or Firefighter) more personal.

Why do we do what we do? I don’t know; but our “fabric” is made up of so many threads. I’m sure there are other areas you could address in the letter as well... Cycling on a busy road is a small part of who you (we) are…

You must think about the implications of what you write and understand the pressure you may place on someone (kids) by expressing “your” dreams and high hopes for their future.

My first “letter” had several drafts before I finalized it. I kept each draft (for a while) and reread them to see the change in my perspective… It was amazing to read the words change from what I thought was important to what is truly important.

I hope this helps and I do understand the “Fork” comment… Whatcha gonna do? Pretty SAD I had to look up "eff"...

I think your letter is a great idea but not something most people ever think about writing.

I would say once you wrote this post you have made a decision to do something.  Please look at t your situation and make changes to make your cycling “safer” but don’t let the recent events change you.  

This is such a thoughtful response.  I really appreciate your insight.  I'm sure my letters would go through many revisions too, and I believe that the act of writing them would be a huge learning experience. 

----------------

Just addressing some of the other posters--

I do try to show and tell my family that I love them everyday, but when your kids are little (8, 6 and 2 in my case) there are things I would want them to know that I can't really share or address with them yet.

Riding on a road and NEVER thinking about it?  Really?  I don't know if that is an incredible gift or incredible disconnect--both?  I used to ride motorcycles, and one of the rules I took to heart was to always have a little fear of the bike.  I think some fear is good. Some might call it a healthy respect for the damage that can be done.

Chunga--I hope you're not obsessing!  Wasn't my intention. I promise :)

2013-07-02 7:47 AM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Champion
Alabama

Dear Kids,

I died pursuing my dream.  Don't live your lives in fear - everyone dies but not everyone truly lives.  Swing for the fence!

Dad 

2013-07-02 8:30 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Cycling has some inherent dangers - I remember riding in Wisconsin, on a new downhill with a blind left, hitting 40mph riding the brakes, and thinking "if there's oncoming traffic, and they're just a bit out of their lane, I am so dead . . ." After the descent, I could chuckle at it, and I thought "Today my wife is not $500k richer . . . " If you haven't already, make sure you have a life insurance policy. That goes for everyone, and especially everyone with children. Our odds of dying probably aren't any worse than the normal population (and probably better than a lot, given our generally healthy state), but when our number's up, it's up.

Ride safe, ride smart - but there are a lot of unsafe, dumb drivers out there, plus all the normal hazards.
2013-07-02 8:49 AM

User image

Pro

I certainly understand wanting to make sure that your kids know your hopes and dreams for them, but I'm curious why you felt the need to write it in a letter.  I'm confident that if I died today my children will absolutely know what was important to me, how I felt about them, and what I dreamed for their future. 

And yeah, my "forking hell" note to them would be just what they'd expect.....because I'm not nearly ready for this to be over and they know it.

So really, why the need for the letter?

2013-07-02 9:46 AM

User image

Well, if you left them a video of you doing an Irish Jig then it might be thought of to be a Danse Macabre.

Would only be fitting if you put it to the music of Funeral March of a Marionette
2013-07-02 11:35 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I certainly understand wanting to make sure that your kids know your hopes and dreams for them, but I'm curious why you felt the need to write it in a letter.  I'm confident that if I died today my children will absolutely know what was important to me, how I felt about them, and what I dreamed for their future. 

And yeah, my "forking hell" note to them would be just what they'd expect.....because I'm not nearly ready for this to be over and they know it.

LB, your kids are much older than mine--they know you and they would absolutely know what you would say.  I think that makes the situations a bit different.  Our family also really likes letters, so maybe that's part of it for me.  I know my husband would appreciate something like that, and I think my kids would too.  We always do hand written thank you notes, they get a long letter from Santa and the Tooth Fairy and as part of their homeschooling they need to write a letter each day (and address it), though they can always choose who they write to.

I totally understand it isn't for everybody, but I've decided to do it.   Hopefully nobody will ever read them :)

2013-07-02 12:24 PM

User image

Pro

LB, your kids are much older than mine--they know you and they would absolutely know what you would say.  I think that makes the situations a bit different.  Our family also really likes letters, so maybe that's part of it for me.  I know my husband would appreciate something like that, and I think my kids would too.  We always do hand written thank you notes, they get a long letter from Santa and the Tooth Fairy and as part of their homeschooling they need to write a letter each day (and address it), though they can always choose who they write to.

I totally understand it isn't for everybody, but I've decided to do it.   Hopefully nobody will ever read them

I tell my klids to write a letter and they text me, from the sofa next to me, asking why. LMAO

2013-07-02 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I'm not a parent yet but I still worry about things like bike safety and leaving loved ones behind.

I've had a very healthy fear of what can happen to me if I'm in a bike accident, especially when riding with or near vehicular traffic from day one of riding a bike as a kid.  And that hasn't changed as an adult.

We had a very experienced rider and several time Kona qualifier get into a terrible accident involving a truck last year that she very thankfully survived but it has also left her severely brain injured.  I didn't even need to hear that story, I was already scared of things like this happening, and often at no fault of the biker.

But I still ride outside because I won't let this fear prevent me from training and racing.  I just take every precaution I can.

I personally do not ever ride on roads with a speed limit above 30 mph.  I generally ride in an enclosed park where we do share the road with vehicles, but bikers, runners and walkers are commonplace.  Traffic there is very pedestrian conscientious for the most part.

Even so, I ride very defensively.  And sometimes I just ride that same old 30 mile loop all summer long.  Maybe it holds me back from being just a tad speedier but oh well.  I'd rather have my life, limbs, mental capacity, etc. than to go from an average speed rider to a more confident but still average speed rider going just a tiny bit faster.

Confidence on the bike is great, but I'd rather keep my healthy dose of fear.

2013-07-02 12:31 PM
in reply to: TTom

Originally posted by TTom

I ride a narrow road with pretty heavy traffic as well.  Have a red blinkie on my helmet and a second on my seat post.  I don't have a front flashing white light, but see them fairly often, from far away, in broad daylight.  Was wondering, has anyone every used one of those rear facing as they really are brighter and (I think) have a wider angle of view? 

It's actually NOT a good idea to use a bright white light facing rearward, for biking or running.

The directionality of the light is suggested by the color. White = front approaching, red = rear leaving. Convention is same on cars, and in most states, required by law for bikes using lights even if they don't outright ticket you for violating this rule.

Same deal with runners using lights. Do NOT clip a red blinkie to your front. I did this a few times years back not knowing that it was a bad idea (and likely not legal) and was surprised at how many cars kept turning right into me, even though my blinkie was a very bright red one. Changed it to a white front one and it was a lot better.

The PB Superflash or Mars3.0 blinkies are really good at night. If you still want a daytime rear light, you'll have to cough up $100+ for a Dinotte, but I don't think that's necessary for day riding (colored clothing works fine.)
2013-07-02 3:55 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
I can relate. About 2 years ago we had 3 cyclists die (1 child, 1 recreational rider, 1 pro) within 5 miles of my house within a month. For awhile I was pretty spooked to ride on the roads, and still don't ride on some. Luckily, I live in a more cycling friend area now where I don't have to ride on a road where I have to avoid potholes and cars passing at 60+ mph.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Macabre biking thought... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heavy bike focus on two bikes - thoughts?

Started by LostSheep
Views: 879 Posts: 12

2012-02-16 4:33 PM lmwel

Thoughts on clipless pedals...what do u think? Pages: 1 2

Started by cafenervosa
Views: 2579 Posts: 27

2011-05-25 9:31 AM Sous

Thinking about doing my first TRI - thoughts/help?

Started by muzzo
Views: 1208 Posts: 12

2008-03-19 9:47 PM browntown

New bike thoughts....bike Weight vs body weight Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 2593 Posts: 34

2006-04-27 5:02 PM ChuckyFinster

Newbie bike question: Would like your thoughts

Started by deloniem
Views: 1542 Posts: 16

2003-12-23 11:44 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.