General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tupper Lake, New York
United States
Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 59m 16s
Overall Rank = 2/95
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45, had coffee and my pre-race sweet potato with almond butter on it. Left the house at around 5:15 so I could be up with plenty of time to check in the day of.
Event warmup:

Just put on wetsuit, tested out the water a bit and was good to go.
Swim
  • 36m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was a little rough for me. They ended up starting the half ironman participants in 2 waves so there weren't a ton of people in each wave. Despite this, I feel like I got beat up quite a bit in the first couple hundred meters of the swim. Going out on the loop seemed to take forever! I half expected my time to be a lot slower than it was.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Went pretty smoothly, despite my bike being in the very farthest back.
Bike
  • 2h 42m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I came into the race hearing that it wasn't too hilly. Then to my surprise, the first 10 and last 10 (it was an out and back course) were all hills; when you weren't going up you were going down. After I got into the 10 mile mark, the rain really started coming down. The rain creating puddles, plus the terrible conditions of the road made for a rough bike leg. Despite this, I was pleasantly surprised with my bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

This is where the organization of the race started bothering me. In the transition area were tons of spectators/not athletes. After racking my bike and about to head out on the run I decide to hit the porta potty before I get going. There were 3 porta pottys in the transition area, 2 were occupied and at least one by a not athlete. After this incident I start running towards what I thought was the run start and the volunteers just stared at me. After finally reaching the volunteer they ask "Are you running?" (and I just thought "Isn't it obvious?") and then points me in the opposite direction. Although I realize I should have checked out the transition area more thoroughly, I think some better guidance was warranted instead of waiting until I'm way off course.
Run
  • 1h 34m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

The run overall went pretty well. The start was rough, with the first two miles all uphill and the first mile through completely drenched fields. After this there were two out and back loops which were rolling hills. I started off the first few miles at 7:45 pace and thought I was on course for breaking 5:20 (a 14 minute PR). I didn't have my watch going continuously for the entire race so when I saw the 4:58 coming down the final stretch I couldn't believe my eyes. The last straight away was on a completely puddle filled field and all I could picture is me face planting right in front of everyone at the end.
Post race
Event comments:

This race was a bit up and down. On a positive note I really surprised myself with a huge PR on a tough course. However, considering the price paid, the awards and post race food was lacking. Finisher medals were given, but you got a piece of paper for all awards (except 1st place overall). Despite being a not even customized piece of paper, I still had to wait over 2 hours for the awards to start. The food consisted of only oranges/bananas/beer where in past years they've had a BBQ. The volunteers seemed very disorganized and knew very little about the race. My family has done this race the past few years, and it seems like the organization is on a downhill slide.

Last updated: 2013-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/95
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Course was a simple loop going counterclockwise through Tupper Lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:42:12 | 56 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:34:54 | 13.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-07-02 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
, New York
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by kenj
Views: 2125 Posts: 6

2013-07-04 3:20 PM bdenehy

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by cornick
Views: 1084 Posts: 1

2012-09-07 11:34 AM cornick

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

Started by Rmaldon240
Views: 2643 Posts: 3

2007-07-07 2:35 PM mtnchick13

Started by mtnchick13
Views: 2707 Posts: 16

2007-07-06 9:54 AM Rmaldon240

Started by dexter
Views: 3535 Posts: 16

2007-07-14 9:16 PM Sharona1973
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.