General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Saddle for Female IM distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-02 9:09 AM

New user

Arlington, Virginia
Subject: Best Saddle for Female IM distance
I'm training for my first IM distance race and just upgraded to a tri bike. I have a Quintana Roo Dulce with a stock seat. It isn't going to work. I had been riding a Trek road bike with aero bars and the Bontrager seat (WSD) that came with it. I had no issues with it and trained on it extensively for my first HIM last fall. Obviously I could swap that saddle for the QR saddle but I also know that I'm in a different body position now on a genuine tri bike. Any thoughts or suggestions for a saddle from some of the more experienced female IM athletes? Thanks in advance

2013-07-02 9:41 AM
in reply to: Susan Kay

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Best Saddle for Female IM distance

Love me my Adamo Road.  Will never use another type of saddle EVER again...ever.

Takes a little getting used to but once you do it's magic.

2013-07-02 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4793865

User image

I'm using the Adamo Prologue - it took a few rides to get used to it but I do now feel extremely comfortable in aero on the saddle. What I like about the Prologue as opposed to the other Adamo saddle is that it is slightly narrower and it totally pushes you forward into Aero position.

You will probably need to try a number of saddles on your Tri bike before you find the saddle for you. I went to my LBS and tried every saddle they had on my bike before I went for this one, it also had a great return policy , allowing a months trial and then a complete refund if you returned it for any reason.

Good luck, you will get tons of different recommendations on saddles - everyone's tush is different!
2013-07-02 10:35 AM
in reply to: slowbuthappy

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I tried the Adamo saddles and hated them. My local tri store recently put a Cobb v-flow max on my bike after I had an epic 'saddle melt down.' Love, love, love it. Plus Cobb saddles come with a 180 day love it or return it policy.

FWIW I have about a 5 inch drop and I have zero issues with the Cobb.
2013-07-02 11:13 AM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by LittleCat I tried the Adamo saddles and hated them. My local tri store recently put a Cobb v-flow max on my bike after I had an epic 'saddle melt down.' Love, love, love it. Plus Cobb saddles come with a 180 day love it or return it policy. FWIW I have about a 5 inch drop and I have zero issues with the Cobb.

Granted my parts are a bit different, but I would also highly recommend starting with a Cobb for no other reason than their return policy.  It truly is no questions asked, full money back.  Plus, they're great saddles.

2013-07-02 11:27 AM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Expert
the best saddle for you is a highly personal choice, find a store that will let you try a bunch of different saddles before you commit to buying one. I ended up with the adamo century, which is like the other adamo saddles, but a little cushier. When I need a new saddle, I will keep with the adamo, but I might upgrade to a less cushy saddle (it is a gel saddle). My only complaint is that the outer material isn't as durable, so it is starting to peel off (the road saddle is fully leather so you wouldn't have that problem).

2013-07-02 11:56 AM

User image

New user
I have also had the Adamo for two seasons (can't remember which one--Race I think?). I am 8 weeks out from my first IM and for the most part I am happy with it, but it's just a little too wide at the nose and my thighs rub it a bit, so I get chafing in the legs crease (TMI?). So I am thinking about testing a Cobb--as others have said, they have a great test program. But I also just read a review about the new Adamo which indicated that they made the nose a little narrower to reduce the rubbing problem. Other than that issue, my Adamo is great and is comfortable enough for sitting up when needed, but really is in a great position for aero riding. Good luck!
2013-07-02 2:49 PM
in reply to: rquinn23

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by rquinn23 I have also had the Adamo for two seasons (can't remember which one--Race I think?). I am 8 weeks out from my first IM and for the most part I am happy with it, but it's just a little too wide at the nose and my thighs rub it a bit, so I get chafing in the legs crease (TMI?). So I am thinking about testing a Cobb--as others have said, they have a great test program. But I also just read a review about the new Adamo which indicated that they made the nose a little narrower to reduce the rubbing problem. Other than that issue, my Adamo is great and is comfortable enough for sitting up when needed, but really is in a great position for aero riding. Good luck!

After trying a LOT of different saddles I fell in love with my Adamo Road.  Yes, it took a few rides to get used to it, and if the to nose is too wide, I've been told that some people will use zip-ties to get the two nose pieces to come in a bit to reduce the chafing.

When it's time for me to get a new one, I'll be sticking with Adamo, but definitely intrigued by the Prologue that others have mentioned! 

2013-07-03 11:00 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro
Houston
I've tried several saddles including Adamo and Cobb, both of which have GREAT return policies.
I have a Selle Italia SLR Lady Flow on my tri bike. It is a road saddle, my lady bits can't read so it's OK.
Keep trying saddles, don't be afraid to use the road saddle and find the one that works best for you.
2013-07-03 12:49 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
Hilo RXL Speed Dial triathlon saddle. I have found my happiness !
2013-07-03 2:04 PM
in reply to: slowbuthappy

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by slowbuthappy

I'm using the Adamo Prologue - it took a few rides to get used to it but I do now feel extremely comfortable in aero on the saddle. What I like about the Prologue as opposed to the other Adamo saddle is that it is slightly narrower and it totally pushes you forward into Aero position.

same ...using Prologue as well. Had the Road before, worked ok but was too wide.

still had to zip-tie the Prologue rails, has been good so far!

ps. I've noticed a lot of women riding Adamo here, and they seem to all like them

2013-07-03 2:26 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by LittleCat I tried the Adamo saddles and hated them. My local tri store recently put a Cobb v-flow max on my bike after I had an epic 'saddle melt down.' Love, love, love it. Plus Cobb saddles come with a 180 day love it or return it policy. FWIW I have about a 5 inch drop and I have zero issues with the Cobb.

+1 love my Cobb

2013-07-05 8:31 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Cobb  Cobb   Cobb!!!!
2013-07-07 9:27 AM
in reply to: velcromom

New user

Arlington, Virginia
Looks like I'll be trying both a Cobb and Adamo
My LBS was great for getting the tri bike. I hit a sale and did the fit just as they were closing but I'll go back and see if I can get more time with saddle selection---I'm sure I can.
It looks like neither is an instant win--a couple of test rides to get used to it is what I'm reading
2013-07-07 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Yes..try a few..I tried 3 addtl to the fizik that came with it..on my tri bike..ended up w cobb but not the first cobb i tried...
2013-08-03 6:01 PM
in reply to: isis

New user

Arlington, Virginia
Just wanted to say thanks again. My LBS has a free demo program. I ended up with an Adamo Time Trial which was the first one I tried. I had a feeling that a 3 hour training ride with no issues was a pretty good sign! While I love my Quintana Roo--they shouldn't even bother putting on a saddle. I don't know how that thing could work for anyone, especially for a long course
Thanks Ladies!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Saddle for Female IM distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pick your winner IM World Championships Female

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 2449 Posts: 12

2010-10-04 1:52 PM shoverbj

Best tri shorts for IM distance

Started by ARides
Views: 5324 Posts: 15

2010-06-12 7:55 PM rottieguy

Adamo Saddle and IM distances

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 1591 Posts: 16

2008-07-01 10:37 PM MForger18

Best training/race book for IM distances

Started by Betsy
Views: 1953 Posts: 19

2006-12-08 11:20 AM DB8

Saddle choice for Half IM to IM distances?

Started by charles81
Views: 2138 Posts: 7

2004-11-21 8:30 PM piggpen35
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : June 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.
date : January 30, 2006
author : amandacmuller
In all of my tri-clothing research, I could never find a trisuit that would offer support where I needed it. I found that my choices were limited.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?