General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the Ladies: Suggestions for sports bra for nursing Mom Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-02 1:43 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: For the Ladies: Suggestions for sports bra for nursing Mom
Ladies of BT,
On 19 June I gave birth to a super handsome little guy. I had a great delivery and am recovering fairly quickly. I'm not running (and definitely not cycling yet), but it's probably not far off, and I'm getting some solid walks in both outside and on the treadmill. I'm looking forward to getting back "at it" but I am finding my wardrobe, specifically my sports bras, lacking what I need. I was quite happy with my previous "small" sports bras and the basic lycra ones from UnderArmour and others worked just fine. However, given that I'm now a mobile food truck, I need to buy something more "supportive." I do not want anything with any kind of underwire, though. I was a non-bouncy A before, and a weighted down (hello milk) C now. Any good suggestions for sports bras that give the support necessary for a nursing Mom?
Thanks in advance!

2013-07-02 1:50 PM
in reply to: TexasMPGal

User image

Subject: RE: For the Ladies: Suggestions for sports bra for nursing Mom
while I haven't had any kids yet - i have a really good sports bras that I use with no underwires and my girls are a 32FF I don't have the info with me right now since i'm at work, but i'll find it and post tonight
2013-07-02 2:18 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Congrats on your little boy! I could have written the same post Before baby, all I needed was size small sports bras for my size A, non bouncy boobs.

When my milk came in my boobs inflated to a D and I found that I needed A LOT more support. I splurged on a Moving Comfort sports bra (model is "Fiona"). It doesn't have underwire and was very comfortable AND supportive. They have a lot of great (supportive) sports bras.

If you can manage it, try to nurse/ pump before working out ... makes a big difference. (baby doesn't always cooperate, of course )

2013-07-02 3:05 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Congratulation on your little boy!It is great that your are nursing!!

I would echo a supportive bra and pump or nurse before workout. 

Its been too many years for me to give any specific recommendations Smile

2013-07-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Congrats on the little man! Mine will be 8 months this week, and it's taken me this long to get back at it. I'm starting to run and my current 'sports bra style' nursing bras just don't cut it (though I was a very bouncy D/DD before, so nursing has made things...interesting). I just ordered 3 different styles of Moving Comfort bras, and will be testing them out as soon as they get here.

Of course, it's been so long since I've had a decent sports bra, I'm not sure I'll know what to do with less bounce!
2013-07-02 4:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Congratulations! I second Tricia's recommendation on the Moving Comfort Fiona. Bonus is that it has velcro adjustable straps that can be quickly undone for nursing should the need arise. I have always been in the position of needing a supportive running bra, and had to size up when nursing, so I fancy myself of a bit of an expert here.

Edited by ras26 2013-07-02 4:24 PM

2013-07-02 5:03 PM
in reply to: ras26

User image

X 3 on the Moving Comfort Fiona. There was also one recommended by Oprah Winfrey that I was happy with, but it wasn't easy to get in and out of. It was an Enell Sport Bra.
2013-07-02 5:26 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

ok - here's the info for mine - its called an Anita Active - with the marking extreme control on it

http://www.fullbeauty.com/Product.aspx?PfId=252339&ProductTypeId=1&...

Its a bit expensive (although, not so much for me, since i've been known to spend upwards of 120 on bras if they fit well) - but totally worth it - i've worn mine for multiple triathlons now - in the water, and it dries really quick, no chaffing
2013-07-02 6:18 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Expert
not nursing yet, but I have been using the moving comfort Fiona and juno bras for a while - bouncy D before pregnancy and up to DDD right now (before giving birth - due at the end of July). I hate to think how big they are going to get when my milk comes in. I am just kind of in denial right now. neither bra has underwires, but I've notice a bit of chafing with both - shouldn't be an issue right off the bat since I'm guessing you won't be starting back to running with 10 mile runs . Hopefully you will figure out where the chafing is on short runs so you can lube up on longer runs.
2013-07-02 8:29 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

If you can feed baby before heading out. My little one was always in the mood for a sip but some are picky. i dont remember the specific brand I had but just a good nursing bra helps. I ran my first sprint tri 9 months after baby. Goodluck. and let us know how the little men and you are doing.
2013-07-02 8:46 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Moving Comfort has awesome non underwire sports bra.

Sierra Trading Post has them usually at significant discount even more with their different coupons. They also have a generous return policy if it doesn't work for you.

Your son is so cute....congrats!!!!

2013-07-02 8:49 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Champion
MA
The other big plus about Moving Comfort is they are highly adjustable with velcro straps and lots of hooks....perfect for adjusting to your changing shape.
2013-07-03 6:45 AM

User image

just something that everyone should note - recent statistics show that 80% of women in the US wear the wrong size bra (normally several cup sizes smaller than you truely need - at least in my experience). So I would highly recommend finding a good story - not victoria secret - something like Nordstroms, Macy's or a Lingerie Boutique (I have a really good one in VA that I use) and get yourself fitted. You may be surprised what size you wear...

I went from a 34DD (per Victoria's Secret...with the oh, but you can wear a 36C because its the same...total BS there) - to a 32FF/G (depending on the bra size) when I went and got fitted. Quite a few of my back problems disappeared and I'm going to the chiropractor less now than I was - which is nice...I took a friend of mine who swore up and down that she was a 34B...she walked out in a 32D

I make it a personal policy to go in at least once a year and get re-fitted and buy a couple of new bras - I finally sock away about $300 for them - including a good sports bra (the one I recommended above, I got from there).

just some food for thoughts
2013-07-03 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by TexasMPGal Ladies of BT, On 19 June I gave birth to a super handsome little guy. I had a great delivery and am recovering fairly quickly. I'm not running (and definitely not cycling yet), but it's probably not far off, and I'm getting some solid walks in both outside and on the treadmill. I'm looking forward to getting back "at it" but I am finding my wardrobe, specifically my sports bras, lacking what I need. I was quite happy with my previous "small" sports bras and the basic lycra ones from UnderArmour and others worked just fine. However, given that I'm now a mobile food truck, I need to buy something more "supportive." I do not want anything with any kind of underwire, though. I was a non-bouncy A before, and a weighted down (hello milk) C now. Any good suggestions for sports bras that give the support necessary for a nursing Mom? Thanks in advance!

Under Armour!!!

THIS ONE is my new favorite running bra.  LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this style.  And I'm picky.  I use the D and/or DD version even on my "reduced" girls.  But this link is to the C version.  It's expensive, but it's WORTH it.  It actually has removable pads in it that I guess are supposed to keep the turkey timers from showing through...but I take them out.  I don't need no stinkin' extra padding to make them look bigger!  They are designed to be removable.  Though I imagine with the possibility of milk leakage they could be quite useful for you.  Get this bra...you will NOT regret it.

The D version apparently has a different "back" than the C version...but the front looks exactly the same.  I wouldn't be able to wear the C version because I cannot hook a bra behind my back.  I need to took it in front and spin it around...hence why I LOVE the D version's straps.  But hey, if you have flexy shoulders (or a hubby works too) the C version will probably be fine for you.

I just love the fabric these are made of and the adjustable straps.  I've had several of the "moving comfort" ones but they all have velcro adjustable straps which NEVER stay velcroed when I'm putting them on...and I need those straps TIGHT to cinch down the girls!  The UA bras have regular adjustable straps like you would find a normal bra so they stay put better.

I brought like FOUR of these bras to the desert with me....

2013-07-03 1:17 PM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I like CW-X bras.  they rock.  As suggested aboutmoving comfort has a good line as well and may have an actual nursing sports bra.
2013-07-03 1:30 PM

User image

I'm a 34B and for the most part the standard lycra bra like you mentioned worked fine. When I started training more and running longer I realized I needed a better supportive sports bra. I don't know if one brand is better then another but I have found that the size is the most important. You know how some jean brands just never fit your body as much as you wished they would? Well, its essentially like that.

My preference is a Champion bra that I got from Dicks Sporting Goods. I also have a Moving Comfort bra that I purchased per great reviews from other BT members. I'm short and stocky and found that the proportions on the Champion bra fit me better then the Moving Comfort one as the MC bra has bigger cups but a smaller band. My ribs always start to hurt after an hour when I wear the MC, but it is otherwise very comfortable.

Don't forget about nursing pads! You'll end up leaking through the bra.
I used Avent disposible pads by Philips. People complain that they are too thick but that is the exact reason I liked them. Your skin is better able to breath and therefore your nipples will feel better. Of course you need to try out a variety of brands for yourself and figure out which works best. :-)

Congrats! and if you have questions I'm more then happy to share/help. I nursed my 3 kids for a year each.

Edited by LPJmom 2013-07-03 1:37 PM

2013-07-04 7:15 AM

New user

austhokie is right most people are wearing the wrong size bra's.

Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/and this diagram here http://imgur.com/5BUNXZEto make sure you are the a correct size

Before I used to be a 34b (very common incorrectly sized bra), now I am a 32dd, 30e.

As for a bra I have heard amazing things about lynx sports bras http://www.lynxsportswear.com/but I have not tried them out get as they are a bit pricey.

Hope that helps

Edited by Daisyflower 2013-07-04 7:15 AM
2013-07-04 8:37 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Congratulations! And Yay for nursing Mamas!!!

I would look to Moving Comfort because of the adjustable velcro strap which is similar to a nursing bra. I think the Fiona may work for you.

Something you need to keep in mind though is to take the bra off when exercise is done. When I got back into it and didn't remove the sports bra soon enough I ended up with some clogged ducts. The bra pressing against your breasts for a period of time can cause clogged ducts which can lead to mastitis, you do NOT want that, BTDT a few times, no fun.

Take care of yourself, stay hydrated, have some oatmeal, nurse before any training and take it easy
2013-07-04 7:25 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Thanks for all the suggestions and tips, ladies! You are most helpful. Given the number of reviews for the Moving Comfort Fiona, I've gone that route. Running Warehouse had a great price for them and I had a coupon code to make them better. They have a great return policy as well.

I really appreciate everyone's comments and tips! Y'all are great!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the Ladies: Suggestions for sports bra for nursing Mom Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

For the ladies, $5 off a new sports bra

Started by zionvier
Views: 667 Posts: 1

2010-07-21 1:19 PM zionvier

Ladies-Sports Bra Question

Started by seitz1124
Views: 1975 Posts: 17

2010-07-01 2:36 PM bumbbles21

Ladies: Sports bra help please

Started by abby4106
Views: 1571 Posts: 23

2009-08-21 9:19 PM LowcountryTRI

Ladies - tri sports bra?

Started by irondreams
Views: 1303 Posts: 16

2009-07-13 4:22 PM Kelly728

for the ladies regarding swim to sports bra?

Started by aidana
Views: 2812 Posts: 17

2008-02-15 2:15 PM TriAya
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : May 6, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
While there is a time and a place for engineered sports foods, many athletes needlessly waste a lot of money misusing them. The purpose of this article is to help you become an informed consumer.
date : January 19, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Which sport do you believe is easier to continually improve at: swimming, bicycling, or running? What makes you think this specific sport is easier to improve at?

date : November 4, 2008
author : She-Ra
comments : 2
What are you waiting for? Get out there and sign up for your first triathlon. Do it now because spring seems like a long way off!
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : December 11, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
If you have ever felt confused by the plethora of commercial sports fuels, you are not alone. Runners, cyclists, and other athletes inevitably ask me, "What’s the best energy bar? gel? sports drink?"
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!