General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Baltimore/Annapolis (where to train) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-02 2:48 PM

New user

Miami, FL
Subject: Moving to Baltimore/Annapolis (where to train)
Looks like I will be relocating due to job in Baltimore but will live in Annapolis temporary. What areas in each city are great to train in? How is the triathlon community between the two cities? I currently am in Miami where its huge so I am hoping to continue with a similar training routine.

Any help would be appreciated!

2013-07-03 6:47 AM
in reply to: tri_miami

User image

Subject: RE: Moving to Baltimore/Annapolis (where to train)
Originally posted by tri_miami

Looks like I will be relocating due to job in Baltimore but will live in Annapolis temporary. What areas in each city are great to train in? How is the triathlon community between the two cities? I currently am in Miami where its huge so I am hoping to continue with a similar training routine.

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm pretty sure that Annapolis has a triathlon club - I've seen them at races, and I would be surprised if Baltimore didn't
2013-07-03 7:52 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
There are lots of great training in both areas. I grew up and lived in the Baltimore area my entire life so I know it pretty well. Both Annapolis and Baltimore have triathlon clubs (Annapolis Tri Club & Baltimore Area Triathlon Club) if you want to search them and look up what they offer. Annapolis hosts numerous running races throughout the year and so does baltimore. If you look up www.charmcityrun.com you will see a ton of races they put on in both cities and they have specific running stores in both cities as well. I am not sure about cycling in Annapolis but I am sure there are great areas like in baltimore. Baltimore County, AA County (county that Annapolis is in) has good routes for cycling too. As for OWS, I believe both tri clubs put on OWS practices in the area. I have some friends that do OWS in Pasedena every saturday AM with a local swimming group but I can not remember what it is called but its not too far from Annapolis.Also, there are a ton of great triathlons in the area worth racing so I would also suggest checking out www.tricolumbia.org for a list of races they do as well as training clinics, pro guest speakers (I have met Chrissie Wellington and Crowie through them) and group rides in the area. Like I said before, I am from the area so if you have any other specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM.
2013-07-03 8:26 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 There are lots of great training in both areas. I grew up and lived in the Baltimore area my entire life so I know it pretty well. Both Annapolis and Baltimore have triathlon clubs (Annapolis Tri Club & Baltimore Area Triathlon Club) if you want to search them and look up what they offer. Annapolis hosts numerous running races throughout the year and so does baltimore. If you look up www.charmcityrun.com you will see a ton of races they put on in both cities and they have specific running stores in both cities as well. I am not sure about cycling in Annapolis but I am sure there are great areas like in baltimore. Baltimore County, AA County (county that Annapolis is in) has good routes for cycling too. As for OWS, I believe both tri clubs put on OWS practices in the area. I have some friends that do OWS in Pasedena every saturday AM with a local swimming group but I can not remember what it is called but its not too far from Annapolis.Also, there are a ton of great triathlons in the area worth racing so I would also suggest checking out www.tricolumbia.org for a list of races they do as well as training clinics, pro guest speakers (I have met Chrissie Wellington and Crowie through them) and group rides in the area. Like I said before, I am from the area so if you have any other specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

I'll confirm, there is some great cycling in/around Annapolis.  I spend most summer weekends in southern Anne Arundel county and do most of my long rides out there.  I've got a few loops from 20 to 65 miles that are mostly on country roads and take in some great water views.  Pravilla cycle in Annapolis also hosts weeknight and weekend rides out of their shop. 

2013-07-03 10:02 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

New user

Miami, FL
Thanks for the help. I will def. be looking at those groups you suggested. Look forward to the move and learning the area!
2013-07-04 5:44 AM
in reply to: tri_miami

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Longer term, if you want to live closer to Baltimore (Annapolis will be a LONG commute) you should look into the Howard County / Columbia area. Mid-Maryland Tri Club is very large and active, and there a ton of races in the area. Just off the top of my head, I can think of 2 sprints, an Olympic, a hIM, and an Olympic Du that all start within 10-15 miles of my house.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Baltimore/Annapolis (where to train) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training in Baltimore

Started by bbtransfer7
Views: 1307 Posts: 5

2010-07-21 7:14 PM trishie

Moving to Baltimore

Started by CrmsonTri10
Views: 1140 Posts: 3

2010-07-14 10:17 AM JoshKaptur

Annapolis Triathlon Pages: 1 2 3

Started by tahrens
Views: 7239 Posts: 64

2008-08-24 7:54 PM trishie

Annapolis Triathlon

Started by klassman
Views: 3373 Posts: 15

2008-03-20 9:44 AM tahrens

OWS training for Annapolis

Started by onelson3
Views: 1244 Posts: 12

2007-08-29 6:50 PM onelson3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone

date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.
date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.