General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Events
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 48s
Overall Rank = 102/166
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3 AM and drank an Ensure; took a shower; ate a banana and drank another Ensure -- relaxed until I left to drive from Sedona to Flagstaff -- drank another Ensure on the way to Flagstaff.

Got to the race site about 5:30 and set up my transition area, got my number on my bike, etc., and relaxed and hydrated with Gatorade and water.
Event warmup:

Didn't warm up much, which kind of bit me in the butt (more later). I did get down to the swim start and warm up in the water a little before my wave start
Swim
  • 17m 18s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt good in the water, but I was not good on navigation. I probably swam closer to 800m or more which is why my 100m split time on the swim is so much slower than my training times
What would you do differently?:

Navigate Better. I will have to work on it before the 1/2 IM in September
Transition 1
  • 04m 22s
Comments:

I was pretty good in T1. I need more practice getting out of the wetsuit, but I did run a little too fast from the water to my bike, which is a recurring problem.

Run slower from the water to my bike. I end up taking time during T1 to catch my breath, and if I slow down from the water to my bike I will be much quicker in T1
Bike
  • 36m 8s
  • 11.18 miles
  • 18.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a hard time getting warmed up. I never really felt warmed up on the bike and it hindered by performance -- I couldn't go as hard as I wanted and it was a little frustrating.

Warm up before the race; especially on a cool/colder morning race
Transition 2
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

Better T2 than in the past (I think). I felt like I was better in T2 then in past races. I need to work on getting a little faster on getting out of the riding shoes and into the running shoes.

Stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle just after the timing mat -- didn't really effect me, but it was a little distracting.

Work on getting out of my shoes before T2 so I can just leave them attached to the bike, which will hopefully make me faster in T2

Not step in a hole
Run
  • 35m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good on the run. The course was pretty much flat but did have minor grades through most of the course, but just barely up or down, not enough to effect performance. What effected my performance more was the altitude, I could really feel it on the run.

I also had a little problem with my race belt -- it fell off. I didn't check it before the race to make sure all the buckles were secure.

Check my race belt before the race. Not step in a hole right after the timing map leaving T2. And, work more on relaxing to maintain my breathing -- especially if I race at altitude again.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off and took advantage of the post race food -- oranges, bananas, water, Naked Juice's stand, etc. Stretched a little and then drove back to Sedona.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Altitude and not getting a proper warm up before the race to get all my muscles warmed up and moving properly.

Event comments:

This was an enjoyable race. It was really challenging due to the altitude because I am a desert dweller from the Phoenix area. I think it will likely be a race I do each year, with the decision on Sprint, Oly or 1/2 IM to be a year to year decision depending on other races.

Last updated: 2006-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:18 | 700 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 0/166
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman Instinct Longjohn
Course: Three sided course -- straight out from the start for about 200m; right turn at the bouy; about 300m to the second bouy; right turn to head home to the swim finish for about 200m
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:22
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:08 | 11.18 miles | 18.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/15
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on a winding road with rolling hills (nothing too severe just light rolling hills)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:53 | 03.11 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/15
Course: Out and back on the same road as the bike, but in the opposite direction
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-18 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2006-07-20 7:28 PM
in reply to: #486362

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Nice job on your race!  Lots of good practice before your HIM.  I've been to Flagstaff once and it is beautiful there, but the altitude is noticable for those of us from lower down.  Enjoyed reading your race report.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed