General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broad Shoulders and Aero Bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-03 8:48 AM

User image

New user

JoCo Kansas
Subject: Broad Shoulders and Aero Bars
I have a question..... I am a fairly broad shouldered guy, and last weekend my riding group started giving me a hard time about the value of my Aero bars on my ride. After they got past the humor of the 'circus gorilla' comments, they did start debating whether a guy with extra shoulder width actually gained anything from the aero position.

My riding group is all fairly thin, and while they are in great shape they wouldn't be someone you would want on your side in a bar fight. No matter.... They split just about evenly on the question, and a couple of the engineers in the group are still debating it. Before this derails into a physics discussion that gets tedious to follow, I wanted other opinions.

So I am putting the question out here: Do Aero bars provide meaningful value for a rider who is particularly broad when he is in the saddle?

2013-07-03 8:56 AM
in reply to: Magnum Athletos

User image

Newmarket, NH
Subject: RE: Broad Shoulders and Aero Bars
2013-07-03 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Think in extremes to visualize:
lets assume a 2x4 board (small shoulder guy) and a 2x8 board (big shoulder guy).
Both boards are 4 feet long.

now will have the boards more wind resistance parallell to the ground or perpendicular?

In other words the extra width applies to the total length, hence I would argue that the big shoulder guy has MORE of an advantage in aero than the small shoulder guy.
2013-07-03 11:17 AM

User image

Newmarket, NH
I tried to keep physics out of it (hence my simple "yes"), but it's too much fun. Drag force is directly proportional to cross-sectional area, and for the sake of discussion, we can assume all other variables in the equation remain constant (air density, speed, and the drag coefficient). Therefore, the more you reduce the cross-sectional area, the more you reduce your drag force. So, a wide-shouldered guy who reduces his CS area by half (or more) by getting aero also reduces his drag by the same amount. This applies equally to the wide and narrow-shouldered. The overall or absolute drag force of the wide-shouldered guy will still be higher than the narrow-shouldered, but the proportional benefit is the same.
2013-07-03 11:41 AM
in reply to: mpento17

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
So while the proportional benefit is the same, the absolute benefit is bigger.
Hence the gain in speed (at same power) is greater.
2013-07-03 11:47 AM
in reply to: mpento17

User image

New user

JoCo Kansas
OK.... I followed that. Let me adjust my pocket protector and take this a step further.....

Assume further that the wide shouldered rider is riding down in the hooks versus sitting upright, and that the rider's body is pretty close to the same level of parallel if he is in the drops as compared to aero. Does that generate the same answer?

2013-07-03 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Generally the difference between riding in the drops and in aero is not much.
Neither for a broad shoulder or a skinny guy.

But in aero you have your arms mostly in front of your body, versus in the drops next to your body.
So you still save some aero.

Nevertheless this is about to go into a very different discussion:
a)Road bike vs. b)Road bike with areo bars vs. c)Tri bike vs. d)Tri bike with hoods

Before we go there, keep in mind that there are different geometries in place and b and d are compromises for those that can/don't want to affoard a AND c
2013-07-03 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

First off, I read somewhere (and could be completely wrong about this), that you do not gain any noticeable benefit in the aero position unless you are going over 20 mph.  From what I read, below that speed, you aren't generating enough wind resistance to really change the equation of wind resistance.  (granted, I'm sure it isn't a 20 mph "AAHH moment" but more of a general guideline - e.g. being aero at 17.5 mph versus upright at 22.5 mph)

Secondly, as to your follow-up question, I would look at it from "surface area" facing the wind.  The more surface area you expose to the wind, the greater the benefit for wind resistance.  (e.g. akin to a sailboat having a larger sail).  If in the drops, you are making an oval shape with your body allowing the wind to funnel into your chest, you are thus adding drag.  But if in the aero bars you are more streamlined, your arms blocking the wind into your midsection, then you would have less drag.

But I suspect this is a more academic inquiry, but you also have to account for if you are faster cyclist in the drop bars versus aero bars - wind resistance can be offset by your own ability to go faster further...

2013-07-03 12:18 PM
in reply to: condorman

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Also, it depends if your bike is red or blue - bc I hear red bikes go faster.
2013-07-03 1:14 PM

User image

Newmarket, NH
Well, yes, of course. I took that as a given.
2013-07-03 2:13 PM

User image

New user

JoCo Kansas
I agree with the wind resistance decrease being offset by the ability to go faster and further. The aero's feel good, and for long flats they work great. Give me lots of up and down and/or vicious crosswinds and I think they have a diminishing return on the value they provide. (To your point....)

They are an add on to a pretty good road bike, and on some spots in my ride they serve their purpose. But before I get serious and start playing with upgrades or with shifter locations and other tinkering in the off season I am going to try and make up my mind on the value they really provide.

I have four more races this season to mess with this. If it wasn't this aero issue, it would be something else to fixate on no doubt....

2013-07-03 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
My advice from a big guy that had a road bike, then road bike with aero bars and now a road bike and tri bike:
If you got aero bars on your road bike, consider them as a further position to ride in, but don;t move shifters or worry too much about the aero bar positions.
If you can afford get a tri bike, but be aware that your bike split might not be a lot faster. Your run though would benefit more.
2013-07-03 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by condorman

First off, I read somewhere (and could be completely wrong about this), that you do not gain any noticeable benefit in the aero position unless you are going over 20 mph.  From what I read, below that speed, you aren't generating enough wind resistance to really change the equation of wind resistance.  (granted, I'm sure it isn't a 20 mph "AAHH moment" but more of a general guideline - e.g. being aero at 17.5 mph versus upright at 22.5 mph)

Secondly, as to your follow-up question, I would look at it from "surface area" facing the wind.  The more surface area you expose to the wind, the greater the benefit for wind resistance.  (e.g. akin to a sailboat having a larger sail).  If in the drops, you are making an oval shape with your body allowing the wind to funnel into your chest, you are thus adding drag.  But if in the aero bars you are more streamlined, your arms blocking the wind into your midsection, then you would have less drag.

But I suspect this is a more academic inquiry, but you also have to account for if you are faster cyclist in the drop bars versus aero bars - wind resistance can be offset by your own ability to go faster further...

I'm pretty sure that this has been proven wrong. Anyone that has ridden in the wind upright versus in aero would be able to attest to this. I believe the % of savings is greater at over 20 mph, but there is savings no matter how fast you are going. even though the % gain is lower for the slower rider, they have potentially more time to gain as they will be on the bike longer. There was a thread on the main forum about this last week.
2013-07-03 5:44 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
drag grows with the square of speed.
Hence the more forntal wind you have the more important is the aerodynamics.
Aero benefits will be there as soon as your headwind exceed 0mph, but it might not be significant until later.

Though note that significant is an individual measure!
2013-07-03 8:54 PM
in reply to: timf79

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I would add that whether or not there is any benefit in terms of resistance, it's just so comfortable on long rides. You don't get the numb hands, and I find it relaxing even.

Just my 2 cents.
2013-07-04 9:20 AM
in reply to: Fatboy32

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Fatboy32

I would add that whether or not there is any benefit in terms of resistance, it's just so comfortable on long rides. You don't get the numb hands, and I find it relaxing even.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. I'm a big cat myself (6'4 250ish) very wide shouldered former college linebacker. So I did my first try a few years back and didn't have aero bars. The wind killed me. I was like a big sail and my hands were numb and my triceps were sore. Now I have added aero bars and I'm much faster (for me) then I was catching wind. And I don't get the numb hands and sore arms so it has been a plus for me.

2013-07-04 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
This is a great discussion. I've read similar one's here, on SlowTwitch and RoadBikeReview. Unless I missed it, one thing I don't see in the discussion is also how far the rider is leaning over, i.e. getting their torso closer to horizontal, which is only another point about the cross-section note. The closer to horizontal, all other things being equal, the less surface area is presented to create wind resistance.

I just added aero bars a week ago and as the same cadence and gear, I'm faster. Depending on the gear, wind, etc, it may only be a 1/2 mph, but on others its 1 to 1.5 mph more.
2013-07-14 10:31 PM
in reply to: Maniton

Ive been wondering about this is well. I would think it depends the geometry of your bike and position. I would go to a bike store and ask their bike fitter their opinion. I am a bigger guy, 6ft, 225 and wear a 50 suit coat, I feel like im too wide to be comfortable. However, the possibility of wider handle bars would seem the route to go. or even change the stem.
I would like to try aero bars. I have a road bike.
2013-07-18 7:13 PM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
I added aero bars to my road bike and had the local bike shop change some of the geometry to apporach more of a TRI Bike geometry (as much as it could). At the time I couldn't afford a TRI bike so had to make it with what I had. My aero bars were spaced a bit wider than for someone with narrower shoulders and I have found I'm not that much faster but can keep my pace with a bit less effort and for a longer period of time. I haven't done any side by side comparisons but I'm confident I have achieved some benefit. I was much heavier than I am now when I started so I went back to the bike shop and have had some additiona (slight) adjustments made. I'm a bit more limber, leaner and in better shape than when I started. You may want to get a formal fit with the aerobars on your bike now.

Good luck.
2013-07-22 10:31 AM
in reply to: SWFLFATGUY

User image

Regular
Clinton, TN

I added bars and I don't know if I was faster, but I sure was more comfortable. My bike is red so I had to be faster. And I did see a big difference in the run. Did not seem as tired heading into the run. Could have been psychological but it worked!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broad Shoulders and Aero Bars Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

aero bars and tri-bikes

Started by slowfatbeginner
Views: 3274 Posts: 11

2012-01-31 4:55 PM marcospolos

Aerobar discomfort(arms/shoulders)

Started by bigr82
Views: 8953 Posts: 15

2011-06-04 9:50 PM jmot

Aero Bars - how to....

Started by fatmantri
Views: 1593 Posts: 7

2010-04-26 8:52 AM b2673ad

Kind of Embarrassing Question - Aero Position Pages: 1 2

Started by amykmo
Views: 6725 Posts: 31

2010-04-18 3:37 PM Rudedog55

Aero Bars

Started by WI_tri_guy
Views: 1781 Posts: 9

2009-09-10 7:44 AM olliedawg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : August 7, 2009
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : May 25, 2009
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : April 20, 2009
I went in for a fitting because I had been having chronic stabbing pain in my shoulder/neck whenever I ride for more than 30 minutes. I'm planning a half Ironman this summer, any help for this?

date : June 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.