World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 17m 7s
Overall Rank = 389/654
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 37/57
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my buddy's house, so woke up at 4 and in the car at 4:15 heading to the venue. Ate a protein bar on the way. In light of the fact that I was knocked off my bike by a car going 25 mph on June 5, just 3 1/2 weeks ago, just getting to the car to get to the starting line was a major task. I'm stubborn.
Event warmup:

None. Just finished my protein bar, sipped on Powerade, went pee, put my wetsuit on and found a nice helper person to zip it up as it zips up from top to bottom. My wife and 16 yr old daughter were there, but my daughter had a touch of food poisoning, so my wife had to bring her back to the house that we were staying at. I was kinda bummed at that.
Swim
  • 35m 31s
  • 1930 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best sighting ever. Start was a tad delayed due to overnight storms messing with the buoys. No biggie there. I felt sore and tired in my shoulders and kinda just figured I would do my best to focus on form while I was out there and do the things I had practiced in the pool (hands down for the catch and pulling with my lats) and getting through it. I was VERY happy with a 35:31 time as that's my best ever. My Garmin 910 said it was 1.16 miles, so if it was short, that's because of my extreme skill (again, a BEST ever) of rounding the buoys. I swear I was on the inside and touched up against every single one.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a huge confidence boost for me as the swim is not my strong suit and I was happy to have this result. Well...I guess I should have not had a GU 15 minutes before my swim start and then spit in my goggles for anti-fog...it kinda GU'ed up the inside of the goggles and I was constantly washing them out. I un-gu'ed enough to see through.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

The shoot out of T1 was WAAAAY TOO narrow and was extremely congested. I also ran with my shoes on (mistake) because I thought the hill was closer than it was and didn't want my first experience in a race of using rubber bands to end up looking like a moron walking up that hill. I could have done it with enough room and time. Running in my SIDI T3 shoes is NOT a good idea. Way too unstable. My old road shoes were better to run in...I will jump and rubber band next time.

See shoe story above. Maybe not yell at a person who cut directly in front of me before the U-turn to start the bike...he was a complete moron who had nothing ready and was just clogging up the entire race. I was impatient. Ooops.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I overcooked the bike a little. I was pumped to be on my brand new P5-Three and was putting it through it's paces. I dropped a chain at the top of the first long hill out on the course. How did I do that? I have no idea, but it took a little over 3 minutes to get it back on the small gear and around the chain catcher (that's right, a chain catcher...really?). I was full of chain grease on my hands, arms, and legs, and laughing about it. I mean, I was hit by a car 25 days ago, so this wouldn't bother me.

No dropping of chains and start a wee bit slower and build into the course. The more I get familiar with my new bike, the better I will get at what it (holy crap it's fast) and I can do together.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

The pavement was really rough, so running in socks was painful. Again, the entrance chute (same chute as the out chute) was painfully narrow. My first time having my feet on top of my shoes...that works like a friggin dream.

Nothing. Maybe pee in transition instead of on mile 3.
Run
  • 2h 39m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

HIlls. I peed on mile 3. The volunteers were AMAZING. I walked/ran with no apparent plan on that, just when I felt like it as my back was seizing up, making it incredible difficult to breath. I kind of bonked as well, as I quit fueling after mile 6, but I wasn't "into" fueling at that point, which was a mistake. Being difficult to breath, based on the accident back muscle issues, really made it hard. I walked pretty much the last 2.5 miles. I am disappointed in that.

Train more and not get smashed off my bike by a car in training. :)
Post race
Warm down:

The event was really unorganized at the finish. Some girl in a bikini top had trouble getting the medal over my visor so I think my face was 1" away from her boobs for about 30 seconds. I felt bad for her and really didn't want to look like a pervie old man, but she kept wrestling with it and giggling. She was a good sport and I joked about the motivation she provided and it was a good laugh. The med tent was full and I just grabbed my shirt, got my stuff, and then was forced to walk UP a 8 degree hill to the parking area. That was brutal. I was glad I was done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My accident 25 days before the race just killed my training. I think I was satisfied with making it to the event and participating in it and that kind of gave me an "out" if I performed poorly.

Event comments:

The volunteers were the bomb. Plenty of stuff on the course. Wetsuit strippers rocked it, and all the drink givers were amazing. The course is a bit cramped and not too good for spectators. This is only my 2nd IRONMAN (logo) race and comparing it to Oceanside is just not right as O'side just kills it in the fun factor. The finish chute had participants dragging their families down the chute (one dude did it right in front of me, which is cool, but geez, I thought that was against the rules), the finisher shirts were just layed on a table and the volunteers there were just talking and ignoring athletes as they walked by. I did not see any food or drink after. Maybe they hid it or it was all gone as I was too slow. I understand the area to have the Transition and end of event area is cramped, but it was so small, I missed it I guess. There needs to be people herding athletes around to where they need to go (like O'side) as we aren't really paying attention to what we should be doing. Oh well, it was fun and overall, I was lucky to even show up at this race.

Last updated: 2013-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:31 | 1930 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 37/57
Overall: 345/654
Performance: Good
Suit: Profile Design
Course: One right turn, followed by a counterclockwise left turn course on a spring fed lake. Very nice course layout. Went around a peninsula and I was able to sight this course the BEST I have ever sighted a course. It was in a canyon so I was able to grab houses on the shoreline as big references and then crosscheck with buoys (and the herd).
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:56:49 | 56 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 35/57
Overall: 290/654
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Bizarre one with 2 U-turns, very WINDY but we had it all, crosswinds, headwinds, tailwinds, and lots of hills. I had rode in a car one of the hills the day before so knew kinda what to expect. There was one spot that had a 6 foot across section of 3 inches of standing water that was a blast to zip through.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:39:43 | 13.1 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/57
Overall: 402/654
Performance: Bad
Course: HILLS. Satan's spawn designed this course. In all reality, I had 19 miles of running in June, in light of the accident, and started out feeling strong (well, ok) and then the course won.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-03 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake

Started by Lar Dog
Views: 1111 Posts: 1

2012-06-25 7:38 AM Lar Dog

Started by firefighternelson
Views: 1394 Posts: 1

2011-07-12 10:10 PM firefighternelson

Started by Newtons1st
Views: 2170 Posts: 3

2011-07-06 1:55 PM tnguyen1

Started by killie42
Views: 1774 Posts: 1

2011-07-02 10:53 AM killie42

Started by syphongalaxy
Views: 1968 Posts: 3

2011-06-28 6:21 AM AndrewMT
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.