General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan for my first 5K? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-18 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Minnesota
Subject: Training plan for my first 5K?
I am not sure how to proceed in my training for a 5K on sept 9.  I haven't taken part in any races yet and I was planning on doing a sprint or a couple next spring/summer.  My wife is tired of hearing me TALK about it so she did what any good woman would do.  She signed me up for a 5K in our town.   I am totally excited and I want to do well(be prepared like any race).  I looked through the training plans and am not sure which if any would prepare me for this event.  Do I just start a half marathon plan and then take a break the week before the race or what?  I currently run three 5K's a week(about 30-33 minutes per) but I am training on the bike as well.   I know I could do it without any "special" effort but I really want to treat this as an event, not just another workout day, y'know?  The other thing is that I normally run on gravel and have tried to stay away from pavement because of my weight(215) but realize that I probably will have to work that into the plan also.  Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated!

2006-07-18 8:09 PM
in reply to: #486509

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Training plan for my first 5K?
Why do you mention a half marathon if you want to do 5ks and sprint triathlons? If you are few months away from a 5k and wish to do a sprint next year, what you are currently doing sounds ok to me. Three 5k runs per week with some cycling mixed in as well. You might want to mix it up a bit and have a different purpose for each run:

Run 1 5k - normal pace (10-11 min/mile)

Run 2 5k - run/walk - faster pace (9:30 per mile) interupted by short walks

Run 3 Run for 35-40 minutes without worrying about distance (probably slower pace)

Gravel is ok especially if you have knee/joint problems...maybe do one of your runs each week on pavement to prepare for the event. Also, start thinking about a bike and swim plan, even if it is once per week.

Good luck and stick with it!
2006-07-18 8:20 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Kudos to your understanding wife...

Doing 3 runs a week should get you ready for the 5K. The biggest challenge will be to restrain yourself from sprinting out with the fast runners in the first 1/4 mile and blowing your entire race.

If the race will be on pavement, then spend some time running on it during training. Start with a 1/4 mile near the beginning and another 1/4 near the end. Increase this to a 1/2-3/4 mile (one end at a time every week). By the first of September, you might do 1 of your runs entirely on pavement, but spare your joints and do the others on gravel.
2006-07-18 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmond, OK
I applaud your motivation.

I've had good success using the training programs available on www.coolrunning.com. I used the half marathon program earlier this year and my wife is working on the 5k.

Chap
2006-07-19 7:42 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
www.halhigdon.com

He has plans for everything, including 5k's. And they are pretty reasonable shedules. I used his Int. 1 plan for my marathon last year, and know a few people that have used his novice plans effectively.
2006-07-19 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
You might want to make sure you are wearing the proper shoes. I'm about your weight and I had problems running on the road until I got running shoes with the proper support.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan for my first 5K? Rss Feed