General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Myrtle Beach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-04 10:33 PM

User image

New user

Woodstock, GA
Subject: North Myrtle Beach
Is anyone competing in the North Myrtle Beach Sprint Tri in Sept? This is my 1st tri ever.

2013-07-05 8:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: North Myrtle Beach
I've done it in the past. Not sure if I will this year or not. I registered for the Barefoot Olympic the weekend after. The next price increase isn't until September, so I have time to decide. This was the first Tri that I attempted. I didn't complete the swim. Wind was 20+ and I had only been swimming 3 months. An angry ocean was no place for me to be that day. They were gracious enough to let me do the bike and the run.

Edited by thowell63 2013-07-05 8:43 AM
2013-07-05 9:47 AM
in reply to: Kirbanator

User image

New user

Woodstock, GA
I haven't been swimming that long either, any suggestions? How about jellyfish, did you have any problems with them?
2013-07-05 12:15 PM

User image

Regular
I haven't seen jellies during the race. Our club swims weekly and don't have any issues. I would suggest lots of open water swimming between now and then. The race will go with the current. Hardest part is getting out to the first buoy.

I did go back for redemption 2 years ago and completed the race.
2013-07-11 1:12 PM

User image

Elite
I've done it every year and am registered for this year as well.

Swim is really a crap shoot depending on weather. Sometimes the waves are fairly calm but one year they were rocking! The swim is atypical of most triathlons in that you swim 25 yards out, then 650 yards parallel to the beach, then back into shore. They change the swim direction (north/south) as needed so that the swim is with the current. Never seen or been stung by a jelly, though have heard others say different.

Run and bike are both absolutely flat and fast...which suits me just fine!

See you there!
2013-09-01 8:14 PM
in reply to: steveseer

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
I've been reading that the roads were pretty bad at last years race on the bike, any truth to that?

2013-09-01 11:00 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
I'll be there, first ocean swim for me
2013-09-02 4:08 PM
in reply to: navybeaver

User image

Regular
Originally posted by navybeaver

I've been reading that the roads were pretty bad at last years race on the bike, any truth to that?

I live in the area. Ocean Blvd is rough. You will have to ride about 2 feet out to miss the manhole covers. They are everywhere. The back section that parallels the blvd has good roads. Good luck. I'm doing the MB Surf and Turf the following weekend in downtown Myrtle.
2013-09-05 5:27 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Originally posted by navybeaver I've been reading that the roads were pretty bad at last years race on the bike, any truth to that?
There is a section coming back parallel to the beach that was very rough last year.  I think I lost a couple of fillings from my teeth.  I was hoping they might repave that, but I doubt it.  Still trying to make up my mind.  I'm not in race shape but I should be OK to complete it.
2013-09-05 5:30 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Originally posted by Clempson I'll be there, first ocean swim for me
This was my first ocean swim last year and I think it's a good one for your first.  There were a few people who got stung by jellyfish last year (Including me) and some abandoned the race because of it.  There was less jellyfish activity earlier this year but I don't know what the situation is now.
2013-09-05 8:48 PM
in reply to: blynott

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by blynott
This was my first ocean swim last year and I think it's a good one for your first.  There were a few people who got stung by jellyfish last year (Including me) and some abandoned the race because of it.  There was less jellyfish activity earlier this year but I don't know what the situation is now.

awesome. glad this is a good first ocean swim venue.  i specifically chose the sprint over the oly next weekend simply because i wanted to get some ocean experience and find out how i react in the water before tackling anything longer.  the jelly fish might catch me off guard, but im sure my adrenaline will keep me going Cool shark on the other hand....

also is this race ever wetsuit legal?  im not worried about needing it, just worried about being at a disadvantage if i leave it at home.  water temps are being reported in the 80's but i want to make sure...

2013-09-05 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by Clempson

awesome. glad this is a good first ocean swim venue.  i specifically chose the sprint over the oly next weekend simply because i wanted to get some ocean experience and find out how i react in the water before tackling anything longer.  the jelly fish might catch me off guard, but im sure my adrenaline will keep me going Cool shark on the other hand....

also is this race ever wetsuit legal?  im not worried about needing it, just worried about being at a disadvantage if i leave it at home.  water temps are being reported in the 80's but i want to make sure...

If you leave your wetsuit at home it will definitely be wetsuit legal.
2013-09-05 9:43 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by pschriver
Originally posted by Clempson

If you leave your wetsuit at home it will definitely be wetsuit legal.

just packed it. if i go fast enough on the bike/run i won't have time to fully dehydrate after the swim.

2013-09-06 6:25 PM
in reply to: #4796173

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Well there are definitely jellyfish. Looks like it's going to be a fast race though.
2013-09-06 9:20 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
I also have my wetsuit in the car but there is very little chance (None) that I'll be able to use it.  Basically I wanted it to protect me from the jellyfish.  Maybe since I got stung last year the odds are in my favor this year?  BTW I'm number 149, if you see me (Old bald guy) be sure and say "Hi"!
2013-09-07 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4849159

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Should have checked the thread before the race, would have looked for you. I was 31

Jellyfish got me 5 times.

2013-09-07 5:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Originally posted by Clempson Should have checked the thread before the race, would have looked for you. I was 31 Jellyfish got me 5 times.
Congratulations Kyle, nice job on the third place finish!  Ouch!  I only got hit once, glad they had the vinegar spray.  However I'm sure that I swam about 2 miles.  The fact that the buoys floated away from their original positions confused me and I swam about 100 yards out to go around the green buoy and that wasn't necessary.  I had a decent bike split (Around 18mph) and a slow run but the splits shown on line don't reflect that.  They are messed up but the total time seems right.  I really wish I could wear my wetsuit for that swim, just to protect me from the jellyfish!  Oh well, maybe next year.

Edited by blynott 2013-09-07 5:06 PM
2013-09-07 10:03 PM
in reply to: blynott

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Thanks! Yeah the swim was way longer than 700. It was supposed to be 700 between orange buoys and it was at least 150 out and back from them and then like you said they shifted. Jellyfish were rough. That was my first ocean swim and wow I hope they aren't all that way. Water was fine, but the rip tide and jellyfish were not fun.Pretty bummed they lumped transition and swim/bike times together. My HRM came unstrapped on the swim and I wasted a ton of time in t1 reaching in my one piece to fix it. Threw it on the ground and left on the bike. Great race. Only got 30 minutes sleep last night at the event hotel.... so not sure if I'll come back. I'll stay elsewhere if I do. There was a huge dance club going til 3AM that I could hear clearly the whole night.
2013-09-08 3:34 AM

User image

New user

Irmo, SC
The bouys messed me up too! I navigated and swam well to the first green bouy only to realize the majority of my wave ignored it and went straight for the orange. I was under the impression we had to stay outside all bouys. Missed that part in the pre-race meeting. Live and learn but it likely cost me 2 minutes which wouldnt have changed my place in Master Clydesdales (Manos had me by ten minutes!) but I simultaneously swam for a relay team and we missed 1st place by 12 seconds so it did cost us there. Swam into a stingray but didnt get stung. Answered prayer. Swim out in the surf was a challenge but thats what makes each tri unique. We stayed at host hotel as well but we were far enough away that our room was quiet. I found it convenient to be a short walk from transition. Enjoyed the race overall.
2013-09-08 3:52 PM
in reply to: thowell63

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
2013-09-08 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Unfortunately that link doesn't work for me but I just went to your race log and read it there.  Good report, sounds just like I remember the race (Except I remember it slower!).  As for the shirt, I love it but they gave me a large instead of an extra large.  I even said "I need an XL" and she said that it was.  I can only blame myself for not checking right then and there.  Thanks for your report.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Myrtle Beach Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

North Myrtle Beach Triathlon

Started by blynott
Views: 782 Posts: 3

2012-09-09 3:57 PM blynott

BI-LO Myrtle Beach Marathon

Started by rrizzo
Views: 3239 Posts: 16

2007-09-16 7:40 PM TROGDOR

2007 Myrtle Beach Half Marathon & Marathon

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 1590 Posts: 12

2007-01-25 9:20 AM runnergirl

Open water swim Myrtle Beach/Murrells Inlet area

Started by bucwilson
Views: 2216 Posts: 3

2006-04-16 7:56 AM bucwilson

Myrtle Beach 1/2 Marathon and Century Bike Ride

Started by bucwilson
Views: 2416 Posts: 2

2006-02-24 11:10 AM bucwilson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.