General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Total newbie here! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-05 7:58 AM

Subject: Total newbie here!
Hi everyone!

I'm completely new to this website and to this sport, or should I say.. any sport !
I live in Austria and last week did a fun run for women for cancer awareness... only 5k but I loved it! I hadn't trained really apart from my usual bike riding to work and occasional swim. Anyhow I picked up a flyer for an "aquathon" in 2 weeks time - It's part of a larger triathlon weekend... but it's perfect for a beginner to get a taste - only 200m swim and 2.5k run, women only
I'm a bit nervous but I think I'm going to give it a go...
Training is a bit hard as I'm a single mum with a 5 year old... she can't swim yet so if we go swimming somewhere I always have to stay near her...

I've never done anything remotely like this before so feel a bit like a fish out of water
Also I'm 41 so no spring chicken anymore ;-)

Any tips would be welcome... one question I have is what to wear? I don't want to fork out lots of money on wetsuits and tri suits for such a short event...
Was planning on just wearing a swimming costume for the 200m (water temp is about 20-21 deg) and then should I change into something to run or for 2.5 km could I run in my swimsuit ??
I haven't got a clue about these things

Nice to meet you all!

Regards
Isabel

2013-07-05 8:11 AM
in reply to: trevy32

User image

Subject: RE: Total newbie here!
Originally posted by trevy32

Hi everyone!

I'm completely new to this website and to this sport, or should I say.. any sport !
I live in Austria and last week did a fun run for women for cancer awareness... only 5k but I loved it! I hadn't trained really apart from my usual bike riding to work and occasional swim. Anyhow I picked up a flyer for an "aquathon" in 2 weeks time - It's part of a larger triathlon weekend... but it's perfect for a beginner to get a taste - only 200m swim and 2.5k run, women only
I'm a bit nervous but I think I'm going to give it a go...
Training is a bit hard as I'm a single mum with a 5 year old... she can't swim yet so if we go swimming somewhere I always have to stay near her...

I've never done anything remotely like this before so feel a bit like a fish out of water
Also I'm 41 so no spring chicken anymore ;-)

Any tips would be welcome... one question I have is what to wear? I don't want to fork out lots of money on wetsuits and tri suits for such a short event...
Was planning on just wearing a swimming costume for the 200m (water temp is about 20-21 deg) and then should I change into something to run or for 2.5 km could I run in my swimsuit ??
I haven't got a clue about these things

Nice to meet you all!

Regards
Isabel

hi Isabel - and welcome! ohhh Austria - i'm jealous! My friend and I were looking at the pictures IM Austria the other day and making comments about how we would love to go sometime!

My recommendation for your first one would be swim in a swimsuit and then just throw some shorts on with your shoes at the transition - they may get a bit damp, but its a short run, so shouldn't be too bad. You may want to wear a bra under your swimsuit depending on size/comfort etc (I do) and it isn't too bad

Good luck!
2013-07-05 8:20 AM
in reply to: austhokie

Austria is a fab place for holidays, let me know if you need any info!

Thanks a lot for the tips! Great
I never thought of wearing a bra under the swimsuit but it's a good idea...

I'm a bit nervous about swimming in the lake - I'm not a bad swimmer but usually go swimming in the local pool
Anyway, there are lots of lakes around here to practise in - I guess I just have to take the plunge (excuse the pun!) and go for it!

Cheers!

2013-07-05 9:13 AM
in reply to: trevy32

User image

Originally posted by trevy32

Austria is a fab place for holidays, let me know if you need any info!

Thanks a lot for the tips! Great
I never thought of wearing a bra under the swimsuit but it's a good idea...

I'm a bit nervous about swimming in the lake - I'm not a bad swimmer but usually go swimming in the local pool
Anyway, there are lots of lakes around here to practise in - I guess I just have to take the plunge (excuse the pun!) and go for it!

Cheers!

maybe there is a group that does OWS (open water swims) that you could join in - might be worth asking - I did my first tri a few years back in the ocean with no OWS experience (aside from fooling around at the beach as a kid)...yeah, lesson learned there...
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Total newbie here! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

total newbie

Started by yosly
Views: 557 Posts: 2

2009-07-27 12:03 AM 17281posse

total newbie here

Started by jdotten
Views: 949 Posts: 6

2008-09-18 1:33 PM WhenAllElseFails

Total newbie from Orlando, FL

Started by ebdavis
Views: 986 Posts: 5

2015-06-18 1:33 PM triritter

total newbie from littlerock

Started by robbyht21
Views: 803 Posts: 3

2005-04-12 10:45 AM COgirl

Total Newbie - Just Saying Hi!

Started by Stacers
Views: 1229 Posts: 16

2004-02-12 8:47 AM mikenhe
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!
date : September 19, 2004
author : Total Immersion
comments : 1
Increasing your energy efficiency even modestly -- from, say, 3% to 4% -- can translate into a 33% improvement in your swimming.

date : September 13, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 29
22 week program taking you from the couch to the finishline.