General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Luray Sprint or Culpepper Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-05 7:32 PM

User image

Subject: Luray Sprint or Culpepper Sprint
Anyone here familiar with both? I am trying to decide which one I want to do for my sprint in August - I had planned on doing Goochland, however, my navy reserves drill is that weekend, and its a PITA to try and resked...so I am reevaluating

Luray is the first weekend of the month; Culpepper is the middle weekend

Schedule wise - I am doing the Colonial Beach Oly next weekend (14th) - so i'll have about 3 weeks before the Luray - and not looking at another Sprint/Oly until end of September (the weekend of the 28th)...

would love thoughts?

2013-07-06 8:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Subject: RE: Luray Sprint or Culpepper Sprint
The Culpepper Sprint is on the 4th of August (Sunday), not the middle weekend, with the international distance the day before (Saturday).

I'll see you in Colonial Beach! I'm also planning on the Culpepper International on the 3rd.

I'm a rookie and haven't done either, so I can't offer any advice on that.

http://www.trifind.com/va.html?page=1&year=2013&month=8

Edited by CRS 2013-07-06 8:37 AM
2013-07-06 4:34 PM
in reply to: CRS

User image

Originally posted by CRS

The Culpepper Sprint is on the 4th of August (Sunday), not the middle weekend, with the international distance the day before (Saturday).

I'll see you in Colonial Beach! I'm also planning on the Culpepper International on the 3rd.

whoops, I flipped the weekends - Culpepper is the 4th, Luray is the middle weekend...duh!
2013-07-06 4:35 PM
in reply to: CRS

User image

Originally posted by CRS

i'm not sure if I want to do 2 internationals so close together...or maybe plan for one of them in September - was looking at the Giant Acorn weekend and doing the international then - its about a month out from my HIM
2013-07-07 10:30 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
I've heard really good things about Luray, but have never been able to go myself. I've done both Culpeper distances and like that race alot. Nice bike and challenging run out of transition. My biggest challenge with Culpeper has been the heat a couple of years. You can read my race reports for more details. I'll be bummed to miss it this year.

btw, Giant Acorn is a lot of fun and it has that late start. Usually has been perfect weather as well. I preferred the old course to the new one, but still an excellent race and a great way to end the season!

Stu
2013-07-07 11:17 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Originally posted by juneapple

I've heard really good things about Luray, but have never been able to go myself. I've done both Culpeper distances and like that race alot. Nice bike and challenging run out of transition. My biggest challenge with Culpeper has been the heat a couple of years. You can read my race reports for more details. I'll be bummed to miss it this year.

btw, Giant Acorn is a lot of fun and it has that late start. Usually has been perfect weather as well. I preferred the old course to the new one, but still an excellent race and a great way to end the season!

Stu

thanks for the info - i'm debating between Oly/Sprint for Giant Acorn right now - my big race is the B2B HIM end of October - so i'm not sure if a month out is too late for an Oly or not - but i'm looking forward to it - whichever one I go with

2013-07-21 7:50 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Based on the race profiles Culpeper is somewhat flat while Luray has some hills. I plan on doing both. See you there.
2013-07-23 8:56 AM
in reply to: swiss tri

User image

Originally posted by swiss tri

Based on the race profiles Culpeper is somewhat flat while Luray has some hills. I plan on doing both. See you there.

somewhat flat...lol! I'm lookign forward to it - i'm doing it with my friend who is doing B2B...this is her first tri ever (no comment...) - lol!
2013-07-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4796796

How far are these races from Virginia Beach? I will be on vacation from the fourth to the tenth then heading to the outer Banks
2013-07-31 6:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
UPDATE - Someone mapped the Culpeper OD Bike course on Strava. According to Strava the OD Bike course has 1,288' of gain. The profile also looks hillier (sp?) than anticipated. Should be a load of fun.

Edited by swiss tri 2013-07-31 6:27 AM
2013-07-31 6:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
UPDATE 2 : Another fine person mapped the Luray Course on Strava According to Strava, Luray has 1,281' of elevation gain. Comparing Culpepper and Luray. Luray has fewer, but larger hills. Culpeper - lots of a up and down. I think my deraileur will get one killer work out!

2013-08-02 12:49 PM

User image

I did Culpeper last year and it was pretty hilly...but doing it again tomorrow

Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Luray Sprint or Culpepper Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Culpepper or Luray Olympic/International

Started by kidtri33
Views: 1801 Posts: 15

2012-06-01 2:41 PM kidtri33

Culpepper Sprint Tri

Started by dalessit
Views: 2136 Posts: 7

2008-07-29 5:43 PM dalessit

Culpepper Sprint triathlon

Started by lynda
Views: 1349 Posts: 3

2006-07-28 11:41 AM 3558

Luray Sprint Triathlon

Started by pjluray
Views: 1969 Posts: 4

2006-04-24 8:29 PM pjluray

Culpepper Sprint - 8/7

Started by 3558
Views: 1062 Posts: 11

2005-08-08 9:12 AM ride_like_u_stole_it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.