General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The taste of asphalt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-06 9:17 AM

New user
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: The taste of asphalt
Went on my first ride today. Adapted to aero immediately. Started thinking, this is not so bad. What have I been afraid of? 8 miles out, pain in the nether region. Need more seat time. Caught up with my group twice, only to not clip out and fall while stopped at some railroad tracks. Damn, that would have been better done solo. Got it out of my system, though.

So, aching and starting to tire, I decide to do a there and back, rather than their loop. I take a break at mile 17, crotch hurting badly. Definitely, not the same as on the spin bike. Heart rate alll over the place, and way out of zone 2 at times. Figure this time I will take a foot out early to lean on. Fell the other way. Lovely.

20 miles pedaled outside. Worth every fall, ache, and money spent. Now to get faster and sit in the saddle longer.

Edited by FlyinTiger 2013-07-06 9:19 AM

2013-07-06 11:47 AM
in reply to: FlyinTiger

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: RE: The taste of asphalt
Ouch! Yeah, falling off the bike sucks. I have done it 3 times now. Twice due to not unclipping on the proper side. The first time I was still on flat pedals and felt like a big dork. Well, I felt like a dork all 3 times but that first one was really sucky. It's nice to have done it a few times though. Here's to hoping we are done falling over!
2013-07-06 11:59 AM

As long as you learn from your mistakes, it sounds like you learned a lot today.
I'm still using pedal cages on my roadie, but I feel like I'm stuck on 17mph. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage to do what you did today.
2013-07-06 6:19 PM

User image

"Worth every fall, ache, and money spent."

You've got your attitude right, and speed will come. Wish I'd only fallen 3 times. Must be nice. It's all worth it when you find that hole in the wind and fly on through, faster than you ever thought possible.
2013-07-06 7:05 PM
in reply to: Batcheldor

User image

Regular
I've had two 0 mph "crashes". You feel so silly just falling over in slo-mo like one of those "fainting goats"!

What helped me is to turn to the right (I unclip my right foot) just a little bit as i come to a final stop. The bike leans the way it should. Problem solved.
2013-07-06 7:11 PM

User image

Regular
Morton IL
I think we have all gone over at one time or another. Did you get fit? My tri bike caused some stuff to go numb along with some pain after the first fit. I went and got some adjustments, feels great now.

2013-07-06 8:25 PM

A professional fit, an Adamo or Cobb V-Flow saddle, and time should fix any numbness.

2013-07-06 9:28 PM
in reply to: Paulford8

New user
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by Paulford8

I think we have all gone over at one time or another. Did you get fit? My tri bike caused some stuff to go numb along with some pain after the first fit. I went and got some adjustments, feels great now.

I have yet to get fit. I know that I need to, as the tri budget allows. I rode today having never sat on a bike that I have owned for 6 months, never rode with clip pedals, and have never rode in aero. Everything today was untested, and I learned a lot. I did make the mistake of lowering the seat, as my legs were fully extended in an upright position. Realized that I was sitting too lo when I was in aero. That's were a fit will really come in handy.

I get the numbness more on the spin bike. Obviously, I don't have that fit right either. I have wondered how long I can stay numb without doing damage.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The taste of asphalt Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Asphalt vs Concrete: Does it really matter? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by famelec
Views: 14878 Posts: 63

2021-04-21 10:30 AM BlueBoy26

Asphalt (road) vs Concrete (sidewalk)

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1568 Posts: 16

2009-06-28 3:20 PM ACL

Running : Asphalt –vs- Grass

Started by Virtus
Views: 1266 Posts: 9

2007-10-01 7:35 PM thecheshirekat

is running on asphalt bad for you?

Started by carguell
Views: 2279 Posts: 7

2007-01-29 6:43 PM crusevegas

Bike kicked my asphalt

Started by Drewwhite
Views: 622 Posts: 7

2006-06-14 2:36 PM ryanlc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 0
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.