General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear bottle cages Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-06 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: Rear bottle cages

Sorry if this has been posted, I'm sure it has, tried doing a search but came up empty.

I am trying to look at putting two additional water cages behind my seat, in addition to the two on my frame.  I like something like this, but it says not to use it on a carbon post.  FWIW I have a 2013 Trek Madone 5.2.  Having a space for my spare bag is also essential.

I decided that I needed these extra two bottles after my 75 mile ride today (I did stop for water once).  I live in a fairly rural area and finding gas stations can be difficult.  I also have a medical condition that prevents me from retaining water effectively (diabetes insipidus).  It is treated with medication, but I find that I need to consume quite a bit more water then the average person.  I almost bonked on the ride today because of having to ration my water.

What are you guys using that have rear bottle cages?

I have also read that some of the cages have problems with the bottles flying out.

Thanks

2013-07-06 6:40 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Subject: RE: Rear bottle cages
I use the Minoura rear water bottle bracket w/ 2 profile design holsters. I have lost a bottle. Gotta remember to give 'em a shove every now and again. Not the lightest rig but the price is right.
2013-07-06 10:07 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
XLab makes some great hydration accessories. I have the Super Wing, but they make a bunch of different products.

www.xlab-usa.com
2013-07-06 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
My Giant Trinity came stock with a rear holder that actually works very well. I use aluminum Zefel cages and have never lost a bottle. Cages are decent on the weight and are cheap. For training rides, third bottle on the seat tube holds flat repair.
2013-07-06 10:17 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

XLab makes some great hydration accessories. I have the Super Wing, but they make a bunch of different products.

www.xlab-usa.com

+1

You can even wear a hydration carrier around your waist while riding. I do when I go long or over 3 hours. Then there is camelback that has "back" and lumbar models for carrying water/fluid.
2013-07-06 11:19 PM
in reply to: Billyk

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Another happy Minoura 2 bottle cage user here.

2013-07-07 12:00 AM
in reply to: Batcheldor

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
The Minoura two bottle is what I use also, but I just use two alum bottle holders with my sponsors name on them and use an elastic shoe lace to tie my bottles in the holder. This method has worked for me for years
2013-07-07 12:14 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by Justin86

Sorry if this has been posted, I'm sure it has, tried doing a search but came up empty.

I am trying to look at putting two additional water cages behind my seat, in addition to the two on my frame.  I like something like this, but it says not to use it on a carbon post.  FWIW I have a 2013 Trek Madone 5.2.  Having a space for my spare bag is also essential.

I decided that I needed these extra two bottles after my 75 mile ride today (I did stop for water once).  I live in a fairly rural area and finding gas stations can be difficult.  I also have a medical condition that prevents me from retaining water effectively (diabetes insipidus).  It is treated with medication, but I find that I need to consume quite a bit more water then the average person.  I almost bonked on the ride today because of having to ration my water.

I have also read that some of the cages have problems with the bottles flying out.

Thanks

I have to ask? Is water the only nutrition you use? If so, I'd recommend looking into adding in some calories to your ride per hour. You can use liquid nutrition like infinit or Hammer Products. I have XLab rear cages that attaches to my seat rails; it also comes with a bag. Bottles hold well.
2013-07-07 1:41 AM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriGuyBri
Originally posted by Justin86

Thanks

I have to ask? Is water the only nutrition you use? If so, I'd recommend looking into adding in some calories to your ride per hour. You can use liquid nutrition like infinit or Hammer Products. I have XLab rear cages that attaches to my seat rails; it also comes with a bag. Bottles hold well.

No, I do not just use water.  I am experimenting with a combo of liquid and gel nutrition.  I am narrowing down on a plan that works well for me.  I am going to look into the infinit products.  I use diluted Gatorade right now, but am curious to see how it would work with me.

I'm liking the xlab-usa site.  Will have to look at it more in the morning.  Thanks for your input all. 

2013-07-07 2:12 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Another option for you...camel back.  I cannot use rear bottle cages because they force me too far forward on my seat.  So when I train in my extremely rural area I carry a camel back and refill bottles from that (or just drink out of the camel back directly).  I can get some LONG rides in with that thing!

It's just another option other than rear bottle cages.  In fact, I bet you can carry more water with a camel back.  No messing with "can't use this on carbon", no ejecting bottles, can still have your saddle bag...the benefits are endless.

And then when you take it off for a race you feel light as a feather! :D

2013-07-07 5:24 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
X Lab attached to the seat is my choice, too. Unless it's a long ride, I never use the one attached to the bike frame.

2013-07-07 6:44 AM
in reply to: prof40

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I like my Profile Design rear 2-bottle holder - quite secure and much cheaper than x-lab.
2013-07-07 7:03 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

Originally posted by jldicarlo

Another option for you...camel back.  I cannot use rear bottle cages because they force me too far forward on my seat.  So when I train in my extremely rural area I carry a camel back and refill bottles from that (or just drink out of the camel back directly).  I can get some LONG rides in with that thing!

It's just another option other than rear bottle cages.  In fact, I bet you can carry more water with a camel back.  No messing with "can't use this on carbon", no ejecting bottles, can still have your saddle bag...the benefits are endless.

And then when you take it off for a race you feel light as a feather! :D

I was going to suggest the same thing, especially if you don't want the bike loaded up with crap.
2013-07-07 7:31 AM

User image

The website says can't be used with CARBON SADDLE RAILS not carbon seat post.
2013-07-07 10:39 AM
in reply to: djmtrier

User image

I have the Xlab Super Wing.  Was more expensive than what people posted here.  I looked and it was the only thing I could find at the time.  It looks out well for me except I lost a few bottles before.  Make sure you press them down when you go over bumpy surfaces (e.g. walking bridges).  It attaches to the seat rail and not the seat post.  
2013-07-07 7:14 PM
in reply to: natethomas2000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Findlay
Originally posted by natethomas2000

I like my Profile Design rear 2-bottle holder - quite secure and much cheaper than x-lab.

Same here and the have two options one which attaches to seatpost and another that attaches to the seat rails...plus you can get an adapter that holds your CO2 canisters.

2013-07-07 7:24 PM
in reply to: mdougc

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Originally posted by mdougc

Originally posted by natethomas2000

Same here and the have two options one which attaches to seatpost and another that attaches to the seat rails...plus you can get an adapter that holds your CO2 canisters.

+2. I also have this. Never launched a bottle even when I launched one out of my frame cage. They work great. For IM , I strapped an extra tube/tire, Co2 cartridges and filler to it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear bottle cages Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

aero bottle versus cage bottle

Started by tuwood
Views: 5133 Posts: 22

2011-09-03 5:18 AM Leegoocrap

bottles ejecting out of rear seat cages

Started by metafizx
Views: 5007 Posts: 22

2009-10-04 1:54 PM JustinK

Bottle Cages for XS tri bike

Started by Tri Mommy
Views: 3079 Posts: 16

2007-09-25 12:05 PM jeanneroth

Water bottle cage

Started by Mareth
Views: 867 Posts: 4

2006-07-19 10:45 AM danielle860

Help: Bottle Cage Throwing Bottles

Started by Git-tRi-Done
Views: 1043 Posts: 6

2006-04-17 3:13 PM ChuckyFinster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 15, 2013
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 0
XLAB Launches the Latest Rear Single Bottle System, the DELTA 300

date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : January 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
Rocket Science Sports has applied its hyper-technical approach to designing a water bottle. The result is a water bottle with dimples similar to those on a golf ball.