General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Between Triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-07 7:29 AM

Subject: Training Between Triathlons
Hey All:

I am currently doing the 20 week 2x Beginner Training Plan from this site to get ready for my first ever Olympic Distance Triathlon on September 1. I also registered to do another Olympic Distance Triathlon on October 13, which brings me to my question:

What sort of training should I do in between?

Thanks,
Darryl

2013-07-07 8:01 AM
in reply to: darrylsjharding

User image

Subject: RE: Training Between Triathlons
I'm following the same plan for my Oly on Aug 31. I would take a few days off for recovery and then repeat the August portion of the plan to prepare for October.
2013-07-07 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4797478

Was thinking the same thing, but was as wondering if there was something more efficient...like speed work that could improve time while maintaining fitness levels.
2013-07-07 4:17 PM

User image

Spokane
Being that you are pretty close to the 2nd race, keep your workouts more geared towards your race. So if you are planning to race at high intensity then train at high intensity. If you feel like you didnt have enough endurance on your first olympic, maybe throw in a week or 2 of endurance based workouts at low intensity then kick it back up to race pace type workouts.
2013-07-07 6:32 PM

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
You're looking at about 6 weeks in between. If you figure 1 week as a recovery week after the first race and 2 weeks of taper before the second, you're looking at 3 weeks. Personally, I would use it as a "speed" phase of a race. Usually the last few weeks (before taper) of a training plan. More speedwork, more intense, less base less distance.

Thats what I would do, and have done.
2013-07-08 8:02 AM
in reply to: __sugar__

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Are you going to taper for the first race? If so then a taper of more than 5-7 days is all that will be affective for the second race.

I would rest for 2-4 days after the first race then get right back at it until the week before the second race.

If you don't taper for the first race, as in just a couple easy days right before ; then a taper for the second race.

2013-07-09 9:12 AM
in reply to: peteweb55403

Originally posted by peteweb55403

Are you going to taper for the first race? If so then a taper of more than 5-7 days is all that will be affective for the second race.

I would rest for 2-4 days after the first race then get right back at it until the week before the second race.

If you don't taper for the first race, as in just a couple easy days right before ; then a taper for the second race.

Yes, I am planning a taper for the first race and planned on taking Monday, Tuesday & possibly Wednesday off before getting back at it. I also planned a taper for the 2nd race.
2013-07-09 9:13 AM
in reply to: __sugar__

Originally posted by __sugar__

You're looking at about 6 weeks in between. If you figure 1 week as a recovery week after the first race and 2 weeks of taper before the second, you're looking at 3 weeks. Personally, I would use it as a "speed" phase of a race. Usually the last few weeks (before taper) of a training plan. More speedwork, more intense, less base less distance.

Thats what I would do, and have done.

Are there any speed specific workouts you'd suggest?
2013-07-09 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
It's not one workout. It's the phase of the workout plan. If you're doing 3 runs, 3 bikes a week, I'd do shorter "long" workouts on the weekends (1.5-2 hours Z2), one "fast" short distance (30'-45' Z4?) , and one interval style workout (Z5 with rest in between). I never know what to do with swims, so I just get in a pool and swim for a while....

There are actual coaches on BT and I am certainly not one of them. I'm just telling you what I have done in the past, and it's gotten me where I wanted to be.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Between Triathlons Rss Feed