Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Breaking up and seeing your ex at races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-07-08 1:37 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Subject: RE: Breaking up and seeing your ex at races
Part of racing / training for a race is the ability to train your mind on focusing on the race and not letting outside situations influence the way you race or the outcome of the race for you. If you feel negative vibes directed at you out power them with your positive vibes. I often tell my students that you are in control of your emotions you can react in a health or unhealthy manner to others behavior.

2013-07-08 1:50 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly So, basically, you can't handle getting chicked?

I think HonoluluAngel is a chick. 

The subject doesn't seem to match the OP's post.  The post seems like a work/training relationship gone bad, but the subject implies something more.

Either way, quit worrying about the other person.

That'll teach me to make snarky comment. OK, probably not

I still think I hold the prize for having my GF break up with me DURING a marathon. Cops laughing at us as we run past, her screaming at me.
2013-07-08 1:57 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhillyThat'll teach me to make snarky comment. OK, probably not I still think I hold the prize for having my GF break up with me DURING a marathon. Cops laughing at us as we run past, her screaming at me.

Ouch....how'd you fare in that race??  Talk about trying not to let stuff get to you mentally when racing!

2013-07-08 1:58 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Queen BTich
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhillyThat'll teach me to make snarky comment. OK, probably not I still think I hold the prize for having my GF break up with me DURING a marathon. Cops laughing at us as we run past, her screaming at me.

Ouch....how'd you fare in that race??  Talk about trying not to let stuff get to you mentally when racing!

Yeah...and why didn't one of you just run away?! LOL. You must elaborate here.

2013-07-08 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly So, basically, you can't handle getting chicked?

The subject doesn't seem to match the OP's post.  The post seems like a work/training relationship gone bad, but the subject implies something more.

That'll teach me to make snarky comment. OK, probably not I still think I hold the prize for having my GF break up with me DURING a marathon. Cops laughing at us as we run past, her screaming at me.

Oh that is AWESOME!  Sorry, Brian, but that is faching hilarious.  Full story please.

2013-07-08 2:10 PM

Veteran
Honolulu
Now that's the kind of response I was looking for, could be way worse situation. Thanks

2013-07-08 2:31 PM
in reply to: HonoluluAngel

User image

Expert

Originally posted by HonoluluAngel You had to be there at work to know why I asked to move desks, she would antagonize me so I ended up wearing earphones to get work done. We worked a few feet apart on the same project. It was normal protocol in my firm to move, she just took it too personal when I asked management to move, and then walked off the job. I wanted to remove myself from a very negative situation so I could work without her antics. Same for the race. My post was to ask how a negative vibe affects your race. I'm not worried of her beating me, I'm also 12 yrs older. When she left the company, she was crying hysterically and making a scene. That's high school . I really think people on here have lost the supportive vibe.

I understand how it feels to have a close friend/working relationship go bad. It sux. I totally know how you feel. That being said, I agree with the others in the sense that I suggest that you move on. You only really have to concern yourself with your side of the street. I'd go to the event, be polite, smile at her and wish her luck and do your best to focus on the race. It takes a lot of courage to face down difficult people and I don't do well with them so I get it.

From what you've said she sounds like she's got a lot of issues. Let them be her's alone. I'd make the effort to let any bad feelings toward her head down the river.  

2013-07-08 2:34 PM

User image

Expert

That'll teach me to make snarky comment. OK, probably not I still think I hold the prize for having my GF break up with me DURING a marathon. Cops laughing at us as we run past, her screaming at me.

omg!!! you can't leave us hanging.. either create a new thread with all the dirty details or fess here... Pleazzzzzzeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

2013-07-08 3:48 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

getting beat by a girl is still getting chicked, whether you are male or female, right?

2013-07-08 4:05 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by noelle1230

Yeah! Did you at least beat her to the finish line!?
2013-07-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'll play armchair physcologist...

Even if I agree with everyone to let the "drama" go and mature adults "shouldn't" feel uncomfortable and such - easier said than done.  It's easy for everyone to say "that's stupid, just don't feel that way"...  But if that's really how you FEEL, then you need to think about that.

Why do you feel intimidated or uncomfortable?  Something they are doing?  Something you impose on yourself?  Still have feelings?  Feelings of resentment or betrayal?  All valid (just may not be "healthy" after a given amount of time).

You need to figure out what's making you feel this way and address that and determine if it's worth it.  Are you holding on to something?  Not enough time for closure?  It's not as easy as "just don't feel that way" - they are your feelings and you can't just turn them off or dismiss them.  You need to determine exactly why you are feeling the way you do, determine if it's worth it, and change THAT.

Maybe it's not woth the heartache to go to the racem OR it could be a step in moving forward and not allowing someone to have that kind on influence on your emmotions.

Edited by Kido 2013-07-08 4:17 PM

2013-07-08 9:02 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite

I think Gearboy would be proud.

... where has he been lately?

2013-07-08 9:57 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago IL
I ran a popular 5 mile race here in Chicago with some friends last year. I finished ahead of my friends and was waiting in the finisher area for everyone else. I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in years. I went to say hello and got ignored, I realized that this former friend had apparently taken sides on a bad break up I had about a year earlier. Obviously it wasn't my side he took. So I took the high road and said it was nice seeing him and moved on to congratulate the people who actually do mean something to me. Life is too short to give a s*** about people who don't care about you. To the OP people can be difficult to deal with at times, but you can let that affect the way you live your life. Enjoy it.

Oo I almost forgot, I am running a 5k in October that is organized by an old high school track teammate of mine and my former friend. I am looking forward to racing him now.
2013-07-08 11:46 PM
in reply to: superjorge1

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
This thread makes me sad
2013-07-09 3:59 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

Originally posted by HonoluluAngel Lol we weren't lesbian lovers or anything. Actually, the person I started training with is gay and the ex friend is very anti gay so this added to the tension. She would constantly make negative anti gay comments. So I stopped talking about my training because she would retort with bs, the resentment was festering between both of us. So that's the whole story and again thanks for the positive comments, and you mean people can go on being mean

This is an interesting thread on so many levels. I think there's a potential tv series here somewhere. Carry on. Please.

2013-07-09 7:59 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Pro
Originally posted by KateTri1

omg!!! you can't leave us hanging.. either create a new thread with all the dirty details or fess here... Pleazzzzzzeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Why not? I'll start a thread called 'bizarre breakup stories' so I'm not the only loser posting

2013-07-09 8:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by HonoluluAngel

Lol we weren't lesbian lovers or anything. Actually, the person I started training with is gay and the ex friend is very anti gay so this added to the tension. She would constantly make negative anti gay comments. So I stopped talking about my training because she would retort with bs, the resentment was festering between both of us.

So that's the whole story and again thanks for the positive comments, and you mean people can go on being mean

Now I'm really confused.

So you two weren't lesbian lovers... you weren't seriously dating... and she was THIS PSYCHO towards you? Over.. triathlons? Then she was so upset by the situation that she walked OFF THE JOB? That is SO WEIRD. Really weird in fact.

*EDIT* Wait a second... the title of this post is "Breaking up and seeing your ex at races"... yet you are telling us you two WERE NOT dating???!!!! Come on now. Which is it? Dating or not dating?

Edited by KSH 2013-07-09 8:19 AM
2013-07-09 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

That'll teach me to make snarky comment. OK, probably not

I still think I hold the prize for having my GF break up with me DURING a marathon. Cops laughing at us as we run past, her screaming at me.

WOW! Now that's some drama! I bet she was back with you by the end of the marathon... huh?

2013-07-09 8:18 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Regular
Madrid

Originally posted by KSH
Originally posted by HonoluluAngel Lol we weren't lesbian lovers or anything. Actually, the person I started training with is gay and the ex friend is very anti gay so this added to the tension. She would constantly make negative anti gay comments. So I stopped talking about my training because she would retort with bs, the resentment was festering between both of us. So that's the whole story and again thanks for the positive comments, and you mean people can go on being mean
Now I'm really confused. So you two weren't lesbian lovers... you weren't seriously dating... and she was THIS PSYCHO towards you? Over.. triathlons? Then she was so upset by the situation that she walked OFF THE JOB? That is SO WEIRD. Really weird in fact.

Lot of denial going on here. No ?

2013-07-09 8:20 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Pro
Originally posted by gr33n

Originally posted by KSH
Now I'm really confused. So you two weren't lesbian lovers... you weren't seriously dating... and she was THIS PSYCHO towards you? Over.. triathlons? Then she was so upset by the situation that she walked OFF THE JOB? That is SO WEIRD. Really weird in fact.

If you are going to talk about De Nile this has to be in the politics thread
2013-07-09 8:21 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by KSH

AND.. the title of this thread is "Breaking up and seeing your EX at races". But they weren't lesbian lovers? Something isn't adding up.

2013-07-09 8:26 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Originally posted by KSH

Originally posted by KSH

AND.. the title of this thread is "Breaking up and seeing your EX at races". But they weren't lesbian lovers? Something isn't adding up.

Gotta love the veiled mystery....

2013-07-09 8:47 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by KSH

Isn't that a river in Egypt?

2013-07-09 10:13 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by KSH

Isn't that a river in Egypt?

I thought it was in South America. 

2013-07-09 10:16 AM

Veteran
Honolulu
Yeah sorry if it seems confusing. I titled the post that way as I thought it would be broader. For the record neither I nor my ex were lovers or lesbians. At one time we had been very good friends, working together 5 days a week and training on weekends, that's 7 days a week spending time together. She was a control freak and it didn't bother me until she got pissed at me training w someone else who IS gay and she happens to dislike gays. Then other issues at work deteriorated the friendship. She did not walk off the job due to triathlons. The issue I wanted feedback on was how you handled seeing an ex or ex friend at races and how negative emotions affected your race, was it worth it to go.

Instead many people just told me to harden the F up. Honestly It's been good to vent and despite the negative comments I feel better. I also appreciate the constructive remarks. I felt I was proactive in 1) finding a different training partner and 2) moving my desk to further avoid tension w a psycho. The fact that she decided to quit is not my problem, and I couldn't control her reactions to me training w a gay person. I really hate drama but this unfortunately did happen and could be good reality tv material. It's more peaceful at work and I will go to the race and do what I love.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Breaking up and seeing your ex at races Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Ex-Inlaws... (Spin off from Ex's)

Started by Sharkie
Views: 1061 Posts: 13

2009-06-09 10:43 AM KSH

Lance breaks his collarbone in a race crash.

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 627 Posts: 2

2009-03-23 4:11 PM 1stTimeTri

Why ex's are ex's...

Started by madkat
Views: 961 Posts: 19

2006-06-11 6:24 PM Lara

Ex-smokers are the worst.

Started by rice
Views: 2333 Posts: 13

2005-09-08 8:16 PM max

re: the ex boyfriend

Started by infosteward
Views: 685 Posts: 1

2005-03-29 12:28 AM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.
date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.