General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lifetime tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-07-08 7:46 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Lifetime tri
Less than a week to go. Hopefully it cools off a little at the end of the week, like the forecast predicts. Last year was very hot.

I need to go swim in nokomis this week, to see if I want to wear a wetsuit. That is if it is even an option.

2013-07-08 8:22 AM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Lifetime tri

It was still nice last week, although I am sure this past week of hot weather has put it over the top.

They measure on Monday, but the new temp isn't posted yet:

http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=65&termSearchVal=Beach_Status&Complex_id=374

2013-07-08 9:45 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

New user
I am planning on swimming tomorrow evening. I will be bringing my meat thermometer to take an unofficial temp reading. Looking forward to the 13th!
2013-07-08 12:17 PM

User image

Minneapolis
I Kayaked and waded in the water on Sat and it was really nice. It didn't feel cold at all. I'm planning on no wet suit for the tri.

I've been frustrated by a calf injury over the past month. I ran for the first time in 2 weeks yesterday and was happy to see that I felt faster and stronger than I have since spring. I think my legs were just exhausted. Fingers crossed that I can run well on Sat.

I biked the course last week and Minnehaha Parkway was in pretty rough shape. W. River road wasn't a ton better. I don't know what they could do about it at this point but I was practically bouncing off my aero bars on Minnehaha Parkway near the lake.
2013-07-08 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Personally I'm hoping it's not legal. I honestly don't know if I'll fit in my wetsuit after my last 10 days of vacation Frown
2013-07-08 3:04 PM
in reply to: frizbplaya

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by frizbplaya I Kayaked and waded in the water on Sat and it was really nice. It didn't feel cold at all. I'm planning on no wet suit for the tri. I've been frustrated by a calf injury over the past month. I ran for the first time in 2 weeks yesterday and was happy to see that I felt faster and stronger than I have since spring. I think my legs were just exhausted. Fingers crossed that I can run well on Sat. I biked the course last week and Minnehaha Parkway was in pretty rough shape. W. River road wasn't a ton better. I don't know what they could do about it at this point but I was practically bouncing off my aero bars on Minnehaha Parkway near the lake.

That's not atypical for this race. Last year my clip-on aero bars actually worked loose during the race and slid out completely when I racked my bike. 

2013-07-08 5:38 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Ya I ride the course a few times a week, and the stretch of minnehaha from 28th ave to cedar, is awful. The road patches are almost like speed bumps. Make sure every joint and fastener is tightened down, and hang on tight.

I'm hoping its not wetsuit legal also. I know I'm not wearing a wetsuit. It's plenty warm enough.
2013-07-08 7:34 PM

User image

New user
If Weaver Lake's temp this evening is any indicator, I'm guessing on non-wetsuit legal for Saturday.This will be my first tri swim in just the tri suit, so I'm determined to have my fastest T1 yet!

I plan on being at Nokomis tomorrow night, too!
2013-07-08 9:18 PM
in reply to: PBrr

User image

Regular
Bloomington
Originally posted by PBrr
This will be my first tri swim in just the tri suit, so I'm determined to have my fastest T1 yet!

Me too! I'm in for the Oly. I did the course preview ride on Sunday. We were calling out "hole" constantly I just saw the wave times. As usual I'm in one of the last waves.
2013-07-09 9:22 PM
in reply to: BloomingRunner

User image

New user
Ugh, I heard about the holes. I hope they're patched up by Saturday.

I'm in wave 50 of 54. Hope they have food at the end, unlike at Trinona....
2013-07-10 9:53 AM
in reply to: PBrr

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Temp update this week:  77.6 on Monday.    I think everyone can put away their wet suits!

2013-07-10 10:04 AM

User image

I did the Lifetime Mpls tri last year (Sprint), my first tri ever, and doing it again this weekend. Very excited to see how I do with a year of much better training under my belt!!

What time is ideal to arrive on Sat morning? I kept pretty good notes on my race from last year, what went well, what didn't, etc...but one thing I didn't jot down was what time I arrived (guess I had other things on my mind!). I'm thinking if I am parking on the side streets around 5am, I should have enough time to get marked, set up my transition area, do walk throughs, etc. Does this sound about right? Too early? Too late?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone racing on Saturday!!
2013-07-10 11:36 AM

User image

New user

Since there is no chance I'm winning an age group award, I'm still wearing my wetsuit (unless the water gets over 83 degrees, of course). This is my first long swim, and I need my security blanket!
2013-07-10 12:20 PM
in reply to: goirish1

User image

New user
Originally posted by goirish1

I did the Lifetime Mpls tri last year (Sprint), my first tri ever, and doing it again this weekend. Very excited to see how I do with a year of much better training under my belt!!

What time is ideal to arrive on Sat morning? I kept pretty good notes on my race from last year, what went well, what didn't, etc...but one thing I didn't jot down was what time I arrived (guess I had other things on my mind!). I'm thinking if I am parking on the side streets around 5am, I should have enough time to get marked, set up my transition area, do walk throughs, etc. Does this sound about right? Too early? Too late?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone racing on Saturday!!

It's pretty busy, and considering that the weather may be rough I'd get there early, but 5am might be unnecessarily so if you aren't warming up on your bike before hand. Park in the streets a little bit away (and ride your bike the half-mile to the beach - you'll have an easier time leaving). I'll probably get to the beach around 5:45 so I have an hour to setup etc.. And then 90 minutes to wait for my wave....
2013-07-10 1:32 PM
in reply to: chrispy5

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Ya there is no way I'm wearing wetsuit. It was plenty warm enough last night.

Lets keep our fingers crossed about the weather.

I am probably the wrong person to give advice about arrival time. I am always early.
I am planning on being in transition around 5am.
I always get a little more amped up when I see them setting up for the race. Which they were doing last night. Yeah
2013-07-10 1:59 PM

User image

I'm kinda the same way...I'm a early guy, with everything. So, weather permitting, I'm hoping to get there around 5am and really experinece the day, meet some people and have fun!

Just checked the weather...now only a "slight" chance of a thunderstorm and percipitation down to 30% (from 40%).

Guess I need to be prepared for a wet race though. Suppose I should start searching and Googling about tips for that now!

2013-07-10 3:36 PM
in reply to: goirish1

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Transition opens at 4:30, so getting there by 5 should be fine. every rack is labeled by race number, so there isn't any benefit to getting there super early (other than not feeling like a heel for asking people to bump over a couple inches). If you're coming to the race on highway 62, or from the south on 77, take the 28th Ave exit from 62 just to the east of 77/Cedar Ave, and head north to about 50th st. There is always a huge back up of cars on Cedar, and plenty of parking to the east of the race site.

What do people do to keep their bikes dry if it's raining hard? cover with a garbage bag, or just don't worry about it?

2013-07-10 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
Bloomington
Originally posted by rdailey1

Transition opens at 4:30, so getting there by 5 should be fine. every rack is labeled by race number, so there isn't any benefit to getting there super early (other than not feeling like a heel for asking people to bump over a couple inches). If you're coming to the race on highway 62, or from the south on 77, take the 28th Ave exit from 62 just to the east of 77/Cedar Ave, and head north to about 50th st. There is always a huge back up of cars on Cedar, and plenty of parking to the east of the race site.

Thank you for this excellent advice! I was worried about parking. My husband and I are early people, I know I'll be there bright and early! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rain stays away.
2013-07-10 8:03 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Originally posted by rdailey1

What do people do to keep their bikes dry if it's raining hard? cover with a garbage bag, or just don't worry about it?

As far as a wet bike goes. I'm not going to worry about that. I will keep my run shoes in a trash bag to keep them dry. Even if they are only dry for a few feet. Every little bit helps.

Also if you get there early enough then there is parking on the west side of the park, and closer but if coming from the south, it can be a challenge. From the north or west (Portland exit) then traffic is not too bad.
2013-07-11 8:12 AM

User image

Minneapolis
I'll be the odd ball and say I'm getting there closer to 6. Individual sprint doesn't start until 8:47 and I don't want to be on my feet for 4 hours before the race! I live 2 mi north of the lake so I'm planning on biking there... it's mostly downhill anyway.

Parking pro tip: Minnehaha creek has nice bike and walking paths that go straight to the lake. I would park in the neighborhoods west of the lake as close to the creek as you can and follow the paths into the race site.
2013-07-11 8:50 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by frizbplaya

I'll be the odd ball and say I'm getting there closer to 6. Individual sprint doesn't start until 8:47 and I don't want to be on my feet for 4 hours before the race! I live 2 mi north of the lake so I'm planning on biking there... it's mostly downhill anyway.

Parking pro tip: Minnehaha creek has nice bike and walking paths that go straight to the lake. I would park in the neighborhoods west of the lake as close to the creek as you can and follow the paths into the race site.

Seconded - also try exiting the 35W Diamond Lake exit, go east on Diamond Lake, left on Portland, quick right onto 54th Street and take that east until the street is closed for the race (At Bloomington), and park on the residential streets near there. 1/3 or 1/2 mile bike to the beach on the Nokomis trails, and easier to navigate back to 35W when leaving than Cedar/77.

2013-07-11 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, MN
I only live two miles away from transition and will be biking over in the morning as well.

I'm conflicted on when to arrive this year as well. I've always done the olympic race and shown up around 5, however this year I'm doing the spring course and am trying to determine when to show up..........

Like someone else stated the sprint course doesn't start until around 8:45 and getting there at 5 leaves four hours to do nothing......That makes eating and drinking difficult to plan prior to the race....

If you get there early then you have to wait around for 4 hours, but if you get there late you have to fight for a crappy transition location.... ugg
2013-07-11 2:00 PM
in reply to: boostedcvc

User image

New user
Caribou is just up the road....
2013-07-11 2:36 PM

User image

I'm in the same boat on the arrival time debate as many of you. Found out my wave (Women 30-34) is dead last at 9:36. Wasn't expecting that since most races we are the 4th or 5th wave in line. Ugh!

I do believe that racking and transition spots are assigned, right? If that is the case, then I don't plan on getting there at 5:00 but rather around 6:00 since it doesn't give me much advantage. Especially if it is wet or rainy. Will most likely still bring a blanket so I can chill in the grass during the 2.5 hours from the start until my wave.

The latest weather reports I've seen have possible strong storms during the night Friday into Saturday, clear in the morning, and then strong storms again in the afternoon into Saturday evening. But looks like it will be a humid one!

I didn't show up last year until after 6:00 and found parking west of the lake near the gas station off Cedar and the Parkway. I would highly recommend coming in from the west (taking Portland from 62 or Diamond Lake from 35W).
2013-07-11 3:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lifetime tri Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Mpls Lifetime Tri - which bike?

Started by musicmcb
Views: 1500 Posts: 12

2012-06-18 4:01 AM shaunjamison

Lifetime Fitness Tri...Who's Gettin' Nasty Pages: 1 2 3

Started by SneakySpeed
Views: 6645 Posts: 63

2011-07-10 10:07 PM Climbinggonzo

West River Road...Lifetime Tri

Started by Jelly21
Views: 1369 Posts: 11

2010-05-20 3:28 PM mmrocker13

'Celebrity' at Lifetime Fitness Tri...

Started by sparco
Views: 971 Posts: 1

2006-06-26 1:18 PM sparco

FYI - Lifetime Fitness Tri nearly full

Started by Matchman
Views: 804 Posts: 1

2006-05-03 9:30 AM Matchman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.