General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Tri Suit Rules? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-08 12:22 PM

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
Subject: Ironman Tri Suit Rules?
Hello,

I'm competing in the 70.3 in Muncie this upcoming weekend. While reading through the athletes guide, I came across something that I need clarification with. It says for non wetsuit legal races, that any tri top that comes down past the shoulder is deemed illegal? Does this mean I cannot wear a tri top that with short sleeves? Can anyone clarify that rule by chance? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by str8himalaya 2013-07-08 12:23 PM

2013-07-08 12:55 PM
in reply to: str8himalaya

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Tri Suit Rules?

Interesting. I would imagine a short-sleeved tri top would be allowed on the swim, but it probably depends on exactly how they define where the shoulder ends. I've seen some short sleeves extend to almost the elbow...

However I think the intent of the rule is to ban compression gear from being worn on the swim (hence the "nothing below the knee" language and both rules being re-posted in the "no compression gear on the swim" section). Would be nice if they would clarify, it's confusing!

2013-07-08 1:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-08 2:32 PM

Veteran
Great White North
you can bike and run with sleeves but in a non wetsuit swim sleeves are a no no... as are compression calf sleeves. So wear a no sleeve top or put your top with sleeves on after the swim.
2013-07-08 3:41 PM
in reply to: tkos

New user
Athens, GA
Originally posted by tkos

What short sleeved Tri suit top do you own? Do you mean a bike jersey? I for one wouldn't want to swim in anything with sleeves.

But basically the top of your arm must be in plain view, ie the number must be in plain view. For the same reason the rules also state you can't wear anything that covers your calves, so no compression gear.

Is that actually the reason, though? The numbers? Because if it were wetsuit legal, all the numbers would be covered up for the swim anyway, and later on you're totally allowed to put on calf sleeves, armwarmers, whatever.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Tri Suit Rules? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri suit or not tri suit?

Started by Maxwelltri
Views: 10767 Posts: 16

2012-01-11 5:32 AM Phillipians

triathlon rules vs duathlon rules

Started by kdlsch111
Views: 1017 Posts: 2

2010-04-29 8:29 AM the bear

Ironman Race Rule Change?

Started by donzi8
Views: 2102 Posts: 17

2010-03-25 11:57 PM cottoneyes

tri-suit or no tri-suit?

Started by Ky_Soldier
Views: 1019 Posts: 4

2006-06-19 7:39 AM mndiver

tri suit vs tri short and tri top

Started by smileydc01
Views: 2415 Posts: 18

2006-06-19 6:20 AM suziq_623
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Ontherun
Until last year an Ironman was just a dream. Now it has become a goal. I needed to start, but where?
date : September 5, 2004
author : USATriathlon
Position rule violations during triathlon racing.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you are going to do a triathlon, you need to know at least some of the basic rules that can keep you from getting hurt or hurting someone else.