Sun Multisport Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 40s
Overall Rank = 194/407
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 24/28
Pre-race routine:

I actually started the day before. Drinking plenty of water and electrolyte drink. unfortunately, I also drank two beers on my deck in the heat, and that was probably not a good idea, I don't do well in the heat and should have known better.

I woke up at 4:45, had blueberry waffles and peanut butter, and a cup of coffee. packed up the car and got iced coffee on the way. I had a 32 0z bottle of electrolyte drink to sip on throughout the morning.

Got to race site at 6:15, helped my wife bring her and Myles beach stuff to the beach. It was way to hot for them to stand around in the sun all morning. they went to the beach, while I raced.

got to transition and set up. although, i was chatting with everyone and not paying close attention. This was my worst race in a couple of years. Only the bike went well, and that was a shock.

I decided to skip the wetsuit, as it was hot, and I figured I would get hot on the run from the swim to my bike, and my T1 time would suffer.
Event warmup:

No warm up needed, thought about my usual warm up routine a couple of times, but decided against it. My usual routine consists of a 1 mile or so run, and then a swim, but I Wanted to conserve all of my energy, plus I was a little timid with my heel.

I did swim about 10 minutes before my wave went off. Felt good in the water without my suit, felt good to be cool.

Swim
  • 10m 44s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not sure what happened. I thought I would do better than this. I don't think it was the lack of a wetsuit. as I swam the whole course, with the exception of the turn in to shore. I got caught behind a guy who was frog kicking and I popped up too, as I didn't want to get kicked.

had two issues navigating. on the way out, i drifted to the right a bit. but I caught that,and straightened out. on the way in, a current pushed me to the right again, but I caught that quickly and straightened out. other than that, I was pretty much straight the whole way.
What would you do differently?:

Could have pushed harder. I think I might have been saving my energy for the rest of the day, but I know I could have swum faster than this.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

So mentally this race sucked. It got hot about 30 feet out of the water. A long run around transition, fortunately my bike was in the second rack. Shoes on last, should have done that first. I noticed my number belt was twisted, and so I actually took the time to straighten it out. I just should have left it. i could have fixed it while running. I also seem to remember taking more time to think about what needed to come next. Without my wetsuit, I seem to struggle for the order of things. usually I sit down, take the suit off, put my shoes on, then stand up, and put my run belt glasses, then helmet on. i was a little messed up.

Grabbed bike and ran out of t1, ran to the mount line and got on. had no issues putting shoes in pedals. (Of course! my wife wasn't there to take pictures).

double check gear prior to start of race. make sure everything is exactly as I need it.

go through mentally each step of transition to make sure I do it in an order that makes sense.
Bike
  • 37m 43s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Very hot. I had my aero bottle filled with water, a scratch labs bottle in my left rear bottle holder, and gu electrolyte drink in the right rear bottle holder.

took sips of water on the first half of the first loop. Took drinks of Scratch labs on the second climb. I wished they had splits of the loops. I feel like I did good on the first loop and dropped a bit on the second. My turn around on the second loop wasn't as good as the first. I passed some people but got passed a bit too. it was a bit difficult to see where you ranked as on my second loop, a girl was coming out of t1, so you never knew which loop competitors were on.

I felt I did okay. I was surprised to see I averaged 19 mph.Thought for sure it was in the 17 mph range. Felt I could have pushed harder, but that may have been the end of my day.

Not sure I drank enough on the bike. i had about 2/3 left on my scratch labs, only a few sips were out of my electrolyte drink and half a container of water. Probably should have drank more energy drink. also, should have taken a gu when I started the second lap.

given how it was. i'm satisfied with my bike. I know I could have gone harder, but just didn't or couldn't put the hammer down. focus more. I lost a couple of seconds on the last 180 turn around. I didn't take that very well. I did better on the first one.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

So not sure if I mentioned how hot it was. Felt like I was going to vomit putting my bike on the rack. had some issues. the guy next to me put his bike almost on my number, so i had to put my bike where my bag was, and my pedal got caught on my bag.

took shoes off, took helmet off, put hat and sunglasses on, and then sneakers. sneakers didn't go on that well, I had to stop and fix them. and i should have just grabbed my hat and glasses, after i put on my sneakers. I also grabbed my nathan water bottle, with electrolyte drink. again, my mental focus today was not great.

again, go over mentally each step in transisition prior to the race.
Run
  • 29m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

So I started off at a good pace. got passed a bit coming out of t2. Tried keeping up but couldn't. i took sips of my elecrolyte drink every so often. really hot, not shaded run. Kept having to slow my pace down. My heel felt okay, but between that and the heat, could not push. I took water at every stop and threw it over my head. I took a sip at the second one.

I stopped to walk once, when the run took a right at the jetty. I just had to stop and walk for about 30 seconds to regain my focus. Started right back up and ran to the finish.

not much. keep the mental focus up, but nothing different. maybe not start out as fast, but that wasn't a limiter. No shade, very hot and humid, i had electrolytes with me. maybe take the gel before I got off the bike. just couldn't keep cool.
Post race
Warm down:

yeah.

i sat right down and took my shoes off and put my feet in the ice bath. tried not to throw up. drank water, got up after a bit, and got some food. nibbled on a very dry bagel, had a banana and three oranges. really wasn't hungry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat.

mental focus. I was fighting myself the whole way, probably due to the heat, just wasn't focused. especially in transition.

double check all gear prior to race start. make sure that everything is there to just put on.

aside from the belt issue, (my race belt was also too loose, so it came down a couple of times), and bag placement, i found that my aero bottle wasn't actually attached to the bracket! thankfully it didn't fall off on the ride.

Event comments:

good race. bike course was closed to traffic so that was really nice.

no shade on the run, or for spectators.

other than right there at the park, not much to do in the immediate area after the race.

Last updated: 2013-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:44 | 440 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 187/407
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: a trapezoid shaped course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:43 | 12 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Overall: 183/407
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: a two loop course with two turnarounds. one is a lolipop, and the other is 180 degree turnaround.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:11 | 03.11 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 223/407
Course: one loop course, an out and back and then a loop around fort taber park and the jetty.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-08 1:57 PM

New user

Subject: Whaling City Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whaling City Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Whaling City Triathlon

Started by audiojan
Views: 1871 Posts: 1

2011-08-01 9:08 AM audiojan

Whaling City Triathlon

Started by Nicole Caron
Views: 1007 Posts: 2

2011-08-01 8:44 AM audiojan

Whaling City Triathlon

Started by CarolanneCaron
Views: 956 Posts: 2

2011-07-31 9:30 AM audiojan

Whaling City Triathlon

Started by runningmonkey
Views: 1608 Posts: 2

2010-07-26 1:06 PM gamecom17

Whaling City Triathlon

Started by gamecom17
Views: 1176 Posts: 1

2010-07-25 7:33 AM gamecom17
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : February 22, 2011
author : phunt
comments : 2
My first triathlon and a comeback from being overweight and sedentary

date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
comments : 0
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.