General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1/2 ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-08 6:52 PM

User image

Subject: 1/2 ironman
I've got ironman Muncie 70.3 slated for this Saturday. Naturally, I've got the pre-race nerves. This will be my first 1/2 distance race. For those of you that have raced at the 1/2 or full distance is there any thing you wish you would have known prior to going out for the first time? And tips or advice you'd like to share?

2013-07-08 11:59 PM
in reply to: MUohio

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Subject: RE: 1/2 ironman
I keep thinking of something to tell you but all I can say is, "the hay is in the barn." You've already done the work and now you get to harvest. Enjoy your day and have a blast!
2013-07-09 12:41 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by MUohio

I've got ironman Muncie 70.3 slated for this Saturday. Naturally, I've got the pre-race nerves. This will be my first 1/2 distance race. For those of you that have raced at the 1/2 or full distance is there any thing you wish you would have known prior to going out for the first time? And tips or advice you'd like to share?

Nutrition on the bike. Have it dialed in and planned out.

2013-07-09 6:22 AM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Pro
No tips but best of luck and enjoy the experience.
2013-07-09 6:31 AM
in reply to: Iowaman

User image

Expert
don`t cook it on the bike. Bike at what is an "easy" pace and save it for the run.

Make sure you do your nutrition as you practiced.

If the run is hot use ice to cool you down - I put it down my tri shorts.
2013-07-09 10:23 AM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Daffodil

don`t cook it on the bike. Bike at what is an "easy" pace and save it for the run.

Make sure you do your nutrition as you practiced.

If the run is hot use ice to cool you down - I put it down my tri shorts.

This!

I just finished my first HIM recently. As a former Clyde I will tell you that if you have done the training you will complete the race. However, how fast depends on a lot of factors.

I cooked it a little too much on the bike. I went out with a goal in mind and despite environmental factors like wind, and terrain I pushed hard to achieve it. Instead of listening to my body I listened to a Garmin which had me smoked from about mile 53 to the end of the race. On my next HIM, I am leaving the Garmin at home. I have found it is a good training tool, but may not be the best idea for a long distance endurance event in that it causes us to push to hard because of what we have experienced in the past.

Also fouled up my nutrition plan somewhere along the way. Got off the bike with 3 gels still in my shirt. Should have been only one left per my plan. Hit the run and my legs were just fried and never recovered on the run. The run will kick your butt if you don't manage your energy expenditures early on in the race.

Ice goes everywhere, down your shorts, down the back of your tri top, in your hat. As a larger athlete body heat dissipation will be one of your biggest challenges so make use of ice. That is the one thing I did right, even though it was a moderately cool day in comparison.

In summary, listen to your body and take it easy on the bike. Don't let the clock dictate your pace. Consume calories early and often. ICE, ICE, ICE. Don't forget to have a good time, chat up the competitors as you pass or get passed. Remember this is supposed to be fun for most of us. And no matter what.....FINISH and earn your PR. Good luck and Godspeed.

2013-07-09 11:56 AM
in reply to: dsand97

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Originally posted by dsand97I cooked it a little too much on the bike. I went out with a goal in mind and despite environmental factors like wind, and terrain I pushed hard to achieve it. Instead of listening to my body I listened to a Garmin which had me smoked from about mile 53 to the end of the race. On my next HIM, I am leaving the Garmin at home. I have found it is a good training tool, but may not be the best idea for a long distance endurance event in that it causes us to push to hard because of what we have experienced in the past.

Not sure if I understand your train of thought.
Joe Friel had an elaborate article how much value ad it is to have Power info on the bike in an IM.
I am certain that applies to the HIM as well.

I can not imagine doing a longer ride without having power data, I would kill myself in no time on the uphill or head wind.
2013-07-09 12:20 PM
in reply to: timf79

Have fun!

I did my first half a few weeks ago.

Just keep it all in perspective. Our race announcer commented, pre race, that we should all just be grateful to be there and to have that opportunity. I thought it was a little preachy. I mean, wth, I paid good money to be there! But, through out the day I keep thinking about how lucky I was to have been able to spend all that time training and be able to do this race. My focus was on a hobby, not trying to get enough food for my family, or wondering if they would be killed coming home from school, etc. My "problems" are really not problems in the big picture.

Things will go wrong- I had two flats, but was only prepared for one. The aid stations ran out of cups so if you wanted water you had to stop and gulp from the jug that 800 other athletes had just gulped out of.

My bike was in the rack closest to the lake and someone "replaced" the bottles on several bikes with lake water. I didn't figure out the wonky taste until halfway through my bottle and ended up puking for several miles (9!) until I got it out of my system.

Almost any problem can be solved by slowing down. Better to slow down a bit than have things erupt later.

Know that any mistakes you make, you can correct the next time!
2013-07-09 2:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by MUohio

This will be my 1st HIM as well. Now that its here, I wish I wouldve trained more, but life got in the way. Im not looking at setting any records at all, just finishing with a smile on my face and knowing that I accomplished my goal.

Good luck to you

Craig (bib #1113)
2013-07-09 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by timf79

Originally posted by dsand97I cooked it a little too much on the bike. I went out with a goal in mind and despite environmental factors like wind, and terrain I pushed hard to achieve it. Instead of listening to my body I listened to a Garmin which had me smoked from about mile 53 to the end of the race. On my next HIM, I am leaving the Garmin at home. I have found it is a good training tool, but may not be the best idea for a long distance endurance event in that it causes us to push to hard because of what we have experienced in the past.

Joe Friel had an elaborate article how much value ad it is to have Power info on the bike in an IM.

I can not imagine doing a longer ride without having power data, I would kill myself in no time on the uphill or head wind.

I use a bare bones Garmin 305 which only gives, speed, and HR data. Had no power meter, probably a wise investment for the future. Was focused completely on my average speed.
2013-07-09 5:04 PM
in reply to: dsand97

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Originally posted by dsand97
I use a bare bones Garmin 305 which only gives, speed, and HR data. Had no power meter, probably a wise investment for the future. Was focused completely on my average speed.

Ah, got it.
I usualy only go by Power (bike) and HR (run).

Speed has too many factors that can influence it.

2013-07-09 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by timf79

power info yes, HR info yes, not all garmins have these. pace info? I can see the logic of not wanting that. (At IMWI, I had it set up to show average pace not instantaneous pace. I didn't need to know how slow I was going into the wind or up the hills. Or how fast I was going down).
2013-07-12 3:57 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights
Only tip I would add (if your Garmin supports it...not sure what features were in that model) is to use the "Walk/Run" feature to give you reminders for nutrition. My first HIM is in August, but I've been doing long-course focused training for a couple months now, and the "Walk/Run" feature on my 910 has been great for giving me set reminders to take in nutrition (drink, gel, etc).

I'd love to take credit for it, but will have to defer that to the one and only DC Rainmaker. Got the idea from his 910XT product review.

Good luck at Muncie! Post back and let us know how it goes.
2013-07-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: Stillmanji

User image

You will enjoy it! Good course! I'm here in Muncie to do it again. I'm rocking the Lemmy Kilmister beard, so look for the really slow guy on the run!
2013-07-13 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
So? How did it go?
2013-07-14 7:52 PM
in reply to: Fatboy32

User image

Thanks for all the advice guys. Here is a full race report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... for those of you that are interested. I''ll be posting the race report in the main forum as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1/2 ironman Rss Feed