Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wall Mounting a TV Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-09 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: Wall Mounting a TV
DW and I just bought our first Condo and i'm looking at mounting our 40" Plasma TV on the wall. It is a longish narrow room (12' wide by 34' long). Kitchen at one end, dining room in the middle, living room on the other end. We will be mounting the TV on the far end of the room (in the living room). I'm thinking I want a swivel mount so that we can rotate the TV and see it while working in the kitchen.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of wall mount to buy?
Any tips or things to consider when mounting it?
Any suggestions for hiding all the cables in the wall?

Thank you in advance!

2013-07-09 11:51 AM
in reply to: menglo

User image

Subject: RE: Wall Mounting a TV
Of all the advice I've ever heard, one sticks out:

Make sure you mount a plasma tv level. To the point of using a bubble level a dozen times when you're putting up the mount.

Another that I just think makes sense, make sure your mount is rated to be about 1/3 higher than the weight of your TV. you really don't want it pulling out of the wall.

If you really want to hide wires, you can kill two birds at once.

Tear out a bit of the wall from stud to stud and about as tall as your TV.
put braces in and put a piece of 1" plywood between the studs.
Run the wires in while you've got the wall open so they come out behind the TV
put dry wall back up and make sure your lag bolts are going into the plywood. Better yet, use moly bolts and run them through the plywood and have them expand behind it so your TV is pulling against the plywood which has angle brackets holding it to the studs.

2013-07-09 11:58 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Here ya go. 

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=tv+mount

We have a flat wall mount for our 54" plasma right now but we need to get a swivel for it. It is mounted to one side of our living room as our 20' fireplace is the center piece. Works fine for one side of the room but the fireplace blocks the view for the other side of the room. Issue I have found is the plasma's are freakishly heavy so you need a really heavy duty mount. I found one at Costco that would hold up to a 60" tv and 200lbs so that should work, I just haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

As far as mounting, make sure you get good contact with the studs, a good stud finder is nice. For the wires I just cut a small square hole in the drywall behind the tv, just big enough for the wires and connectors to go through. Then I use fish tape to get the wire through the wall and down to the hole behind the dvd player and stereo receiver. The fish tape makes quick work of it. 

2013-07-09 3:29 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Veteran
Tennessee
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&...

This is what I have. I have two of these actually. Can't beat the price.
2013-07-09 3:38 PM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
We have a telescoping swivel mount that moves in TV in all three dimensions.  I think I got it at Best Buy.
2013-07-11 12:25 AM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by iruptacopula http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10... This is what I have. I have two of these actually. Can't beat the price.
Agreed. Whatever kind of mount you want, get it at monoprice.  the quality is great, and you WILL NOT beat the price.   I got my mount, and all of my cabling there.

Hiding cables is harder if it's not already designed into your room.   I used a surface-mount low-profile conduit at our old house.  At our existing house, I installed a large conduit from behind the TV to a closet on the other side of the room.   All of our A/V equipment resides in that closet, and no wires are visible at the TV.   love it.

2013-07-11 4:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Find the studs. Don't trust anchor bolts with something that heavy and expensive. Also you can hide the wires outside the walls with covers they sell at Best Buy for example. That way if something goes wrong and you have to troubleshoot or you want the TV moved in the future the wires aren't behind that certain wall. Lastly get the wall mount that swivels and well as go up and down to you can see the TV from many different angles.

Edited by Iowaman 2013-07-11 4:56 AM
2013-07-11 6:29 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by iruptacopula http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10... This is what I have. I have two of these actually. Can't beat the price.
Agreed. Whatever kind of mount you want, get it at monoprice.  the quality is great, and you WILL NOT beat the price.   I got my mount, and all of my cabling there.

Hiding cables is harder if it's not already designed into your room.   I used a surface-mount low-profile conduit at our old house.  At our existing house, I installed a large conduit from behind the TV to a closet on the other side of the room.   All of our A/V equipment resides in that closet, and no wires are visible at the TV.   love it.

Thats brilliant!

2013-07-11 7:08 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
I hid the cables between 2 work boxes. After simply cutting out the hole in the drywall, you use two old work electrical boxes like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-Low-Voltage-Old-Work-Brack...

Then, at the receiver / cable box end of things (where you'd put a small shelf to hold the box), you can fish the wires between the TV and receiver box using receptacles and plates like these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203353274?productId=203353274&storeId=...

If you have a socket in that same stud cavity, adding another to one of your TV boxes only takes another half hour or so.

I wouldn't use one of the extension arm mounts for a TV that large. It also adds depth between the wall and the front of the screen, so your install is bulging away a few more inches than with a fixed mount.
2013-07-11 8:04 AM
in reply to: Iowaman

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by Iowaman

Find the studs. Don't trust anchor bolts with something that heavy and expensive.

x100 on the studs. The bolts they give you for the mounts are serious business, which they should be. Make sure it's not a freaky condo that was built 24" OC or something like that. When I re-did the basement I ran a chase for all the wires when there were only studs up, so that made for a really clean look, but you could probably snake something at least down to 2' AFF so you can reach a cable box and dvd player on some piece of furniture. If you do snake it down the wall, run an extra HDMI wire and cable wire just to have it in there for future DVD/Video game/Whatever.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wall Mounting a TV Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tech help with computer/TV/streaming MLB.TV

Started by jsiegs
Views: 3145 Posts: 17

2011-04-08 1:13 PM jsiegs

Watched internet tv thru my Wii on the tv Pages: 1 2

Started by KenD
Views: 2507 Posts: 29

2010-01-15 10:58 AM mrbbrad

large Screen corner TV mounts....

Started by DolphinGirlMB
Views: 564 Posts: 7

2009-12-03 1:52 PM tbronaugh

Time for more wall of fame shots.... indulge

Started by regimom
Views: 526 Posts: 2

2007-03-05 4:30 AM Cando

Filling large hole in interior wall

Started by auto208562
Views: 2974 Posts: 18

2006-02-23 12:05 PM tsmith
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?

date : January 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Most episodes start with the tearing, giving-way sensation. This is localized about 1-2 cm inside the 10th rib on the side. How I might get a long term solution to this problem?
date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.

date : July 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
Upon releasing me from the ER, the cardiologists said that I have an athlete's heart - enlarged chambers and thickening of the walls. Should I be concerned?
date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Browe79
This man’s story was so inspiring that my brother and I committed to doing an Ironman by the time we turned thirty.