General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road cycling in the Springs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-10 8:29 AM

Master
STL
Subject: Road cycling in the Springs
Hey there...visiting The Springs next week...looking for safe road cycling areas. I would prefer a path since I don' t know the area-any suggestions?

I'll be doing 1-1.5 hour rides.

2013-07-10 8:57 AM
in reply to: goobergirl98

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Road cycling in the Springs

Originally posted by goobergirl98 Hey there...visiting The Springs next week...looking for safe road cycling areas. I would prefer a path since I don' t know the area-any suggestions? I'll be doing 1-1.5 hour rides.

I do my long stuff out Woodmen East past Powers. Just take a look at a map. It goes out to Falcon... just that strech 2 miles. Then you can turn on Hwy 24 and go North/East for 50 miles. It is a 2 lane highway with a wide shoulder, all limited access. you can go back into town the other way for several miles. Speed limit is 55. Yes there are c ars but long streches of road and very few lights.

More reasonable would be in town down Monument Valley creek. Look up Woodmen and I-25. It's on the East side of I-25. It is a MUP, some paved, some hard pack gravel. If you go North you will go across the Air Force Academy. that alone is 8 miles and wooded with a couple hills. All gravel some sand. Go South and that is through town... you can go shoot 12 miles or so to the other end of town. Obviously you can catch the trail anywhere along the way. Being multi use, you won't be setting any speed records, but plenty of bikes on it. More streches of pavement, no real sand to speak of. Road bikes do use it, I have... but commuter tires are a little better.

Obviously I have good routes for where I want to go through the city, but nothing really stands out as a road riders free way. You need to get out East for that.

Around where will you be staying and if none of this sounds good, I could suggest others. About how far do you go in 1-1.5 hours... fast, slow. Hard ride, spinning?

2013-07-11 7:48 PM
in reply to: powerman

Master
STL
I think I may have done that...I think I am off of Powers. We stay with my friend. What I remember was that I had to ride on powers then i think I turned right...maybe that was 24. Powers seemed very busy, but it was in the afternoon and if other people do it, then I feel OK!!

I've ridden at the air force academy too, but that was a few years ago--how is that? Is it still open because of the fires?
2013-07-12 1:28 PM
in reply to: goobergirl98

User image

Elite

Originally posted by goobergirl98 I think I may have done that...I think I am off of Powers. We stay with my friend. What I remember was that I had to ride on powers then i think I turned right...maybe that was 24. Powers seemed very busy, but it was in the afternoon and if other people do it, then I feel OK!! I've ridden at the air force academy too, but that was a few years ago--how is that? Is it still open because of the fires?

First, you can't ride the Air Force academy any more. I know... super bummer. They just don't let people ride without belonging there or have a sponsor.

Ya, I don't ride Powers. Super busy. You would turn right off Powers onto Woodmen. That is on the North end of town. Right now, right at Powers and Woodmen is a new hospital. I park there regularly and start from there. You go out East on Woodmen like 3-4 miles till you hit 24. Just that strech alone is really nice because it is wide open 4 lane divided road way with only a couple of lights that are always green and plenty of shoulder... I have actually done laps on it because I did not want to go out East in the wind. You can get areo and do all the laps you want. It isn't as boring as it sounds because there are some fast little sections and you can get some good work in.

You used to be able to ride markshuffle which is East of Powers... but no way now. Way too dangerous.

Like I said, I've done 50-60 miles out 24 to Calhan. Nice ride. Very little traffic week days. Highway speeds, but always a shoulder.

You can go North of Woodmen on Powers... but not really worth it. Not real busy like Powers, but it only goes a couple miles... and not really worth it.

If you want hills, there is a route I ride in the foot hills. Basically up to where the fire came into town into Mountain Shadows and through Garden of the Gods and tack a bit more on and turn around and go home. You will get ~8-10 miles of climbs/hills. Moderate. I can let you know if you want.

I didn't even think about it...I would have to figure it out... I have routes on Garmin, I'm sure I can just share them???

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road cycling in the Springs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

road riding in the Springs

Started by goobergirl98
Views: 1154 Posts: 4

2010-07-28 7:05 PM goobergirl98

Colorado Springs AFA Road Rides

Started by jwbeuk
Views: 1072 Posts: 4

2010-05-21 6:47 AM lodewey

Moving to Colorado Springs

Started by lizard
Views: 1156 Posts: 10

2007-10-12 5:38 PM Buster Jiggs

Chatfield Total Mileage for Road Cycling???

Started by butterfly082464
Views: 609 Posts: 3

2007-06-07 9:02 AM butterfly082464

Bicycle Village - Colorado Springs

Started by devo27
Views: 816 Posts: 1

2006-03-31 11:43 AM devo27
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.

date : March 13, 2005
author : infosteward
Using Clipless Pedals Increases Efficiency
date : March 13, 2005
author : malvey
Training for mature and older adults is the key to staying young.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.