General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is up with this in awe of distance thing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-11 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: What is up with this in awe of distance thing
---

Edited by dmiller5 2013-07-11 11:59 AM

2013-07-11 12:00 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by dmiller5And you should be running 6-7 days a week almost year round to spread that milage out.

More advice that simply does not apply to everyone.

Every time I've upped my running to 6 days a week (marathon or ultra marathon training) I've gotten injured. Every single time. Even when coached. My body simply hasn't responded well to it. 

But I'm sure I'm doing it wrong Cool

2013-07-11 12:02 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Maybe it's not a good analogy, BUT:

My compare it to mountain climbing.  Everyone looks at doing Everest because it's the biggest, has the mystique, history, etc.  TV shows, books, movies about Everest.

However, in a strictly climbing view, it's not that hard.  There are FAR more technical climbs that draw people.

People like Everest because it's epic and big but thousands and thousands of people get tons of satisfaction doing much smaller or more technical climbs.

A couple other side notes:

There is more viewership for the 100yd dash at the Olympics than probably 4 years of Kona combined.

They spend 3 hrs of TV coverage to show 2 minutes of a triple crown HORSE RACE.  I don't get that.

I find it very rare on BT that someone would say that the goal should be IM.  In fact, I almost only see encouragement for people doing ANY distance here on BT.

Sounds like someone feels slighted that their "shorter" distances isn't getting the props they feel it deserves.  I'm sure the WNBA, NHL, and other sports not in the forefront probably feel the same. 

I guess if I'm happy doing what I'm doing, I'm not sure why I would get upset that I'm not getting the "props" I feel I deserve?  Just be happy with what you are doing and who cares what people think.  What are you looking for?  Everyone to say sprints are cool and the best?  Ok.  Then what?  If YOU think they short stuff is the cat's meow, what does it matter what others say about it?  Does your ego need that kind of stroking?

2013-07-11 12:13 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by Kido

Maybe it's not a good analogy, BUT:

My compare it to mountain climbing.  Everyone looks at doing Everest because it's the biggest, has the mystique, history, etc.  TV shows, books, movies about Everest.

However, in a strictly climbing view, it's not that hard.  There are FAR more technical climbs that draw people.

People like Everest because it's epic and big but thousands and thousands of people get tons of satisfaction doing much smaller or more technical climbs.

A couple other side notes:

There is more viewership for the 100yd dash at the Olympics than probably 4 years of Kona combined.

They spend 3 hrs of TV coverage to show 2 minutes of a triple crown HORSE RACE.  I don't get that.

I find it very rare on BT that someone would say that the goal should be IM.  In fact, I almost only see encouragement for people doing ANY distance here on BT.

Sounds like someone feels slighted that their "shorter" distances isn't getting the props they feel it deserves.  I'm sure the WNBA, NHL, and other sports not in the forefront probably feel the same. 

I guess if I'm happy doing what I'm doing, I'm not sure why I would get upset that I'm not getting the "props" I feel I deserve?  Just be happy with what you are doing and who cares what people think.  What are you looking for?  Everyone to say sprints are cool and the best?  Ok.  Then what?  If YOU think they short stuff is the cat's meow, what does it matter what others say about it?  Does your ego need that kind of stroking?

well i posted originally to say this is what i see and think about something, i don't understand the other perspective, give me your thoughts. many people answered this in ways that made sense. i dont need "props" for shorter races, and i enjoyed my "props" for my ironman. that wasn't the point.
2013-07-11 12:18 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by dmiller5And you should be running 6-7 days a week almost year round to spread that milage out.

Every time I've upped my running to 6 days a week (marathon or ultra marathon training) I've gotten injured. Every single time. Even when coached. My body simply hasn't responded well to it. 

i removed that post while you must have been answering sorry haha. i just decided discretion is the better part of valor in this discussion.
2013-07-11 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

You must be.  Heaven forbid an otherwise healthy human body isn't capable of running 7 days a week.  If some of the people on this forum can do it with success, we must all be able to do it......or clearly our training plan is to blame!

Ah, perspective.  There are those that say long distance training shouldn't beat me up or I'm training wrong.

Shoot to the other end of the spectrum where numerous chiropractors, doctors and other medical professionals have said--as recounted by several posters over the years, myself included--that distance training, especially running is just bad for the body period, no matter how well you train.

Opposite extremes, both too short sighted to apply to EVERYONE in my opinion.

2013-07-11 12:23 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by noelle1230

I conclude that my body just responds better to one than the other likely due mainly to genetic factors.

So some people are different than others?
Who knew?  

Yep, that is my point.  Some people are built to handle longer distance training very well and some are built to handle it not as well.  The right training plan may help; however, some people's bodies will break down faster than others even with all training factors being equal.

Which is why canned training plans are kind of silly. I agree with johnykay, if you trained properly and built up to your easy 15 mile long run, it should definitely not be harder than your 5k all out race. What most people miss is that perhaps you should be spending a year or two good consistent milage before you are really doing 15 mile training runs. And you should be running 6-7 days a week almost year round to spread that milage out.

I'll take one more stab (and probably fail) at communicating my point. If you are able to handle a training load of 'x' (again, load is a combination of volume + intensity--you can't divorce the two), I do not see why there is any 'genetic' reason that you cannot spread that load over 'long and easy' or somewhat shorter, but harder. Especially since the variation in intensity levels should not really be dramatically different for the most part since success at IM or a sprint are both highly correlated with 'threshold'. And similarly, if you can handle it, why not do 'x' for a sprint or an IM? There is no physiological reason to do "x+y" for an IM or "x-y" for a sprint. There may be other reasons, e.g., "I don't want to do 'x' because it leaves me feeling too tired for the rest of the things I want to do in life, so I will do 'x-y' and that allows me to do just fine at shorter races, which I enjoy" or "I really want to complete an IM and, even though it is very difficult for me to handle, I feel doing 'x+y' for a short time is my best chance of preparing myself to handle that challenge".

Anyway, all this is sort of tangential to the topic first raised in the thread. I think it's clear that not everyone thinks the longer the race, the better. Nor does everyone hold completion of those longer races in some sort of awe. Some people do and for a variety of reasons. Many triathletes come into the sport and view completing a sprint tri as a real challenge. Once they complete that, they often think the next logical step is to see if they can do something even longer as a new challenge. But others do enter the sport trying to see how fast they can go (can I win my AG? the overall race? beat my friend/rival?). I doubt many of them hold the distance of the race as much of measure of their success.
2013-07-11 12:25 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

That's actually a very good possibility.
2013-07-11 12:50 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by JohnnyKay
Originally posted by lisac957 But I'm sure I'm doing it wrong Cool

This response is so awesome I don't even know what to say!

2013-07-11 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
At least in my experience. At about 6 weeks of training for a Sprint triathlon I start hitting a wall. For a 10 mile bike at the end of week one I'm doing it in about 29 minutes. Week two about 27 or so. Week three with a considerable amount of concentration I hit 26. Week four I hit 25:50. Week five I hit 25:30. Week six I hit 25:40. Week seven I hit 25:30. Week eight 25:29. The gains just get so small and the intensity of work to accomplish those gets to be so painful it's just not worth it. So I just tend to hang at 26. For running it's almost the same thing. I've been doing this long enough that I've pretty much hit my max V02. I know where it is and know it will probably always be there. The adventure is gone. With distances it's another story.

2013-07-11 1:18 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by JohnnyKay
Originally posted by lisac957 But I'm sure I'm doing it wrong Cool

This response is so awesome I don't even know what to say!

Say nothing. Just marvel at its awesomeness.

2013-07-11 1:21 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro
Laughing
2013-07-12 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by dmiller5

What does everyone seem to think that the longer the race is, the better it is. I've done them all, and I can honestly say that I generally enjoy my sprints and olympics much more than my halfs and my full. Now yes it was a great feeling of accomplishment to finish the full, but at the end of the day, I think I prefer the shorter races.

And it isn't even a training thing. I am probably training more, and harder, for my 'A' race this year (a sprint) than I did for the full IM last year.

I'm just reading these threads that say things like, just sticking to sprints, is that ok? or I'm going to do an Ironman for my first race because the easier ones are a waste of time. To me it seems people are missing the point.

sorry, rant over

I think the beauty of our sport is the varying of distances and venues. We have the option of choosing between super sprints and "try-a-tri", to double ironmans and ultraman events. We can choose flat course to monster climbs, pool swims to open water, hot and humid to cold. We have an amazing sport.

And as for those in "awe": every event that I've been to, from a local parks and rec sprint to the World Championships in Kona, have had total strangers cheering and offering support for the athletes.

We participate in the Baskin Robbins of sports, if somebody only wants to eat vanilla, enjoy!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is up with this in awe of distance thing Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

upping the distance.

Started by jennifer65
Views: 901 Posts: 5

2011-08-27 5:25 AM jennifer65

Am i doing the right thing?

Started by cj1212
Views: 933 Posts: 3

2009-07-26 9:00 PM breckview

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Am I ready for Oly distance?

Started by jessicadawn
Views: 1309 Posts: 18

2007-07-03 4:34 PM jackjack

10k, 1/2 Marathon warm ups?

Started by autumn
Views: 1190 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 9:40 PM slow&steady
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.
date : September 11, 2004
author : econway
The goal of this section is to give others ideas on workouts for specific purposes.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.