Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What would you do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-14 9:31 PM
in reply to: Kido

Veteran
Subject: RE: What would you do?
Originally posted by Kido

I have a certain disdain for lawyers as well when I deal with the through work.  And I'm not cutting your employers and kind of slack on the "sleazy" part of them keeping this quite, but are they obligated to remind you of your benefits?  Who in particular would be responsible to tell you "By they way, instead of taking PTO, you DO have these benefits".

Does HR know your situation, or did they just think you were taking days off for things other than health issues?  Does your boss know your time or realize you weren't taking medical leave?  Could it have been oversight or no one knowing all the pieces or was it just simple case of them staying quiet and hoping you don't figure out your benefits?  This should be a reminder for everyone to be aware of what their benefits cover at work.

I'm glad you are through the cancer thing so far.  I'm technically an unofficial "survivor" as well - just need to put in another couple years to make it official.  I know how much time and money it can take.  Sorry to hear this adds to what is already a stressful situation.

why do you people insist on using OPs bad situation as your opportunity to show how smart you are and what you know. she didnt adk what were they required to do (she works in a legal dept, she probably has that figured out). she asked, would you quit. whether they were obligated to tell her or not is irrelevant - the point is, They act like they are these wonderful, caring people because they represent those with disabilities when in reality, it's about the money. Her frustration is, they didn't tell her, not they needed too. She was betrayed by these jerks and is having a hard time swallowing the fakeness now and it makes her mad!!! and it should! and it should make others mad that our moral gauge as a society appears to be what is legal - or even what we can get away with, not what is right (this includes a lot more than lawyers and doctors who all swear they went into medicine to 'help' others - yet cry because medicare cuts = only four cars, not five. I find the company's behavior Immoral whether legal or not.

the anger is not misplaced. you should be mad. but i also agree, if you stay, go to counseling to deal with it. leaving without something else in hand is tough, but if you can swing it, do it! walk out the door asap.

more importantly, congratulations on winning your health battle and live life like you were given another chance

2013-07-15 7:56 AM
in reply to: SWFLFATGUY

Master
Memphis, TN
Wow that sounds like it sucks out loud OP. I would start looking for other employment in general. Don't just look in the legal field but elsewhere too. Hopefully you are covered with health insurance by your husband. No job is worth it if you hate it that bad. TBH, most of us would rather be doing something else besides work but if it is possibly causing health issues it just isn't the place for you. Sometimes we get to used to our small world and we thing that it's the only thing there is but if you look out and look around there are many other jobs out there.
2013-07-15 10:00 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

I'd like to think I'd quit.

But if you haven't by now you probably won't - you're just not one of those people.

Sadly, I don't think I am eithr.

Once, when I was 19 and living at my parents, I quit my job on ethical grounds when my integrity was questionned. I found another job a week later and it still stands as one of the things I'm most proud of.

But now, 20 years later I've got a mortgage, kids, wife, expensive hobby and perhaps, slightly less courage.

Shame and there's few better feelings than sticking it to the man.

Congratulations on kicking cancer.
2013-07-15 2:03 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Originally posted by sheesleeva

why do you people insist on using OPs bad situation as your opportunity to show how smart you are and what you know. she didnt adk what were they required to do (she works in a legal dept, she probably has that figured out). she asked, would you quit. whether they were obligated to tell her or not is irrelevant - the point is, They act like they are these wonderful, caring people because they represent those with disabilities when in reality, it's about the money. Her frustration is, they didn't tell her, not they needed too. She was betrayed by these jerks and is having a hard time swallowing the fakeness now and it makes her mad!!! and it should! and it should make others mad that our moral gauge as a society appears to be what is legal - or even what we can get away with, not what is right (this includes a lot more than lawyers and doctors who all swear they went into medicine to 'help' others - yet cry because medicare cuts = only four cars, not five. I find the company's behavior Immoral whether legal or not.

the anger is not misplaced. you should be mad. but i also agree, if you stay, go to counseling to deal with it. leaving without something else in hand is tough, but if you can swing it, do it! walk out the door asap.

more importantly, congratulations on winning your health battle and live life like you were given another chance

Yes. Yes. Yes. You get it. You totally get it. I don't understand screwing over your fellow humans in the name of the godalmighty dollar or as "running a business." It's $hitty and immoral.

That said, I will probably stay here until we leave for Florida. I am trying to keep my mind in a positive place and keep my eyes on the prize of moving away. In the meantime I am making extra sure that clients are treated fairly and that I feel that I have done the best I can for them at the end of the day.

2013-07-15 2:08 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I have a certain disdain for lawyers as well when I deal with the through work.  And I'm not cutting your employers and kind of slack on the "sleazy" part of them keeping this quite, but are they obligated to remind you of your benefits?  Who in particular would be responsible to tell you "By they way, instead of taking PTO, you DO have these benefits".

Does HR know your situation, or did they just think you were taking days off for things other than health issues?  Does your boss know your time or realize you weren't taking medical leave?  Could it have been oversight or no one knowing all the pieces or was it just simple case of them staying quiet and hoping you don't figure out your benefits?  This should be a reminder for everyone to be aware of what their benefits cover at work.

I'm glad you are through the cancer thing so far.  I'm technically an unofficial "survivor" as well - just need to put in another couple years to make it official.  I know how much time and money it can take.  Sorry to hear this adds to what is already a stressful situation.

why do you people insist on using OPs bad situation as your opportunity to show how smart you are and what you know.  

Quite a dramatic response to some, IMO, valid questions.

2013-07-16 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

why do you people insist on using OPs bad situation as your opportunity to show how smart you are and what you know. she didnt adk what were they required to do (she works in a legal dept, she probably has that figured out). she asked, would you quit. whether they were obligated to tell her or not is irrelevant - the point is, They act like they are these wonderful, caring people because they represent those with disabilities when in reality, it's about the money. Her frustration is, they didn't tell her, not they needed too. She was betrayed by these jerks and is having a hard time swallowing the fakeness now and it makes her mad!!! and it should! and it should make others mad that our moral gauge as a society appears to be what is legal - or even what we can get away with, not what is right (this includes a lot more than lawyers and doctors who all swear they went into medicine to 'help' others - yet cry because medicare cuts = only four cars, not five. I find the company's behavior Immoral whether legal or not. the anger is not misplaced. you should be mad. but i also agree, if you stay, go to counseling to deal with it. leaving without something else in hand is tough, but if you can swing it, do it! walk out the door asap. more importantly, congratulations on winning your health battle and live life like you were given another chance

Wow.

Or people could get a bit more comfortable with personal responsibility and not expect others to take care of their business for them. Not looking at your paycheck and figuring out where your money is going and what benefits you have is not "being betrayed by jerks". 

You/we don't know the full situation we don't know whether they didn't tell her on purpose or if they just didn't know. We do know they don't have an HR department to tell employees how to go about these things. But no matter what it is the employee's responsibility to know what is available to them and to take advantage of it.

To the OP. Your situation did suck but hey you beat the cancer and life will go on. If you want to quit and can afford it go ahead. If you just needed to vent and can handle it for the next year then great as well. I personally don't think that quitting because someone did not do something for you that you could have done yourself is a great reason to quit. 

But, if you do decide to quit do so for whatever you deem to be the "right reason" and do so with grace and dignity. Don't burn any bridges, you never know when you might need them. I hope you find something in Florida that you love to do!

2013-07-19 11:02 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

We don't have an HR department. We have a bookkeeper. I appreciate your pointing out that disability insurance is something that I should have known about. Will keep that in mind. Thank you.

I learned a lot about cancer this year too that I didn't use to know. More than I ever wanted to know actually. But yes, I have completed the treatments and I am confident testing in September will be stellar and I will move on (and south) with my life.

My initial question was simply would you (in the same position) quit? But that is a tough question because you can *THINK* and *BELIEVE* you know how you will react when you are given a cancer (or other serious disease) diagnosis but it is one of those things that until you are standing in those shoes you don't know.

My takeaway is be good to other humans. Don't withhold or do things that would harm them or their happiness for the sake of money. Just be a good human being while you are here.

Nuff said.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What would you do? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

OJ to tell how he would have "done it" if he'd done it...

Started by Spokes
Views: 947 Posts: 21

2006-11-21 10:37 AM Tri-Pirate

Finally figured out why I am doing this!!

Started by Baseball1
Views: 1037 Posts: 14

2005-06-21 5:32 PM Tri Take Me Away

What are you doing for Mother's Day?? Pages: 1 2

Started by Krakatoa
Views: 2154 Posts: 30

2005-05-08 11:20 PM coredump

Anyone doing Ride The Rockies?

Started by MinnesotaBrian
Views: 959 Posts: 2

2005-03-16 1:38 AM max

Oh have I really gone and done it

Started by stina76
Views: 1072 Posts: 5

2004-03-21 6:06 PM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"