Other Resources The Political Joe » block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-11 4:12 PM

User image

, Oregon
Subject: block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns
Interesting idea. I think that schools are going way to far. We need some common sense back at the schools but I am not sure a federal law is the way to go.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/11/gop-bill-would-defund-sc...

2013-07-11 4:22 PM
in reply to: idahocraig

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns
I don't think we're going to see common sense making a comeback any time soon.
2013-07-11 4:49 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I have no issues with them unless the "guns" have high capacities magazines. Just because your pointing your finger and going pow pow does not mean you should be able to shoot more than 10 times without having to reload.

2013-07-11 5:16 PM
in reply to: idahocraig

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
We do need more common sense and it needs to start in congress. I'm pretty sure these people are not paid by the bill. Don't we have bigger things to work on?

I completely disagree with this premise as a solution to anything and I think he should be ashamed of himself for treating education like it's no more important than continuing to fund a wide variety of Snapple drinks at the Congressional cafeteria.

2013-07-12 7:58 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by chirunner134

I have no issues with them unless the "guns" have high capacities magazines. Just because your pointing your finger and going pow pow does not mean you should be able to shoot more than 10 times without having to reload.

I carrying 2 automatic's right now......with unlimited rounds.

and if I reach behind me.....a shotgun, again, with unlimited rounds.

I have other weapons at my quick disposal.

Here's my Bazooka.....

2013-07-12 8:09 AM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Originally posted by cnsegura

We do need more common sense and it needs to start in congress. I'm pretty sure these people are not paid by the bill. Don't we have bigger things to work on?

I completely disagree with this premise as a solution to anything and I think he should be ashamed of himself for treating education like it's no more important than continuing to fund a wide variety of Snapple drinks at the Congressional cafeteria.

I really don't like this proposal one bit, mostly because it's been annoying as hell to think of such things as

Do you know why the drinking age is 21 in all states?
Do you know why there's a seatbelt law in all states? (and they're pushing for it to be a primary law with more of the same)
Have you ever wondered why the speed limit was 55 for 40ish years?
Do you know why the BAC of .08 is "the standard" in all states for DWI?

One of the reasons I'm against any state starting to take federal money is because it always ends up being like this. You've heard of the give a man a fish Vs teaching him to fish. That theory works with states too.

2013-07-12 8:27 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

While I think Rep. Stockman is right regarding the overuse of zero tolerance policies, the federal government has no business dictating how schools and school districts do their business.  If I don't like something going on in my school district, I will take it up with the locally elected school board members - not seek an act of Congress.

Another example of how the two major political parties are just the opposite side of the same coin.  Republicans want to shut down the Department of Education arguing that the Constitution doesn't give those powers to the federal government - then they turn around and file something like this.   

2013-07-12 9:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

I'm going to guess the school officials might have a different story regarding pop tart boy. Thinking the press might have left out a few details? 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-07-12 9:46 AM
2013-07-12 10:27 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Originally posted by KateTri1

I'm going to guess the school officials might have a different story regarding pop tart boy. Thinking the press might have left out a few details? 

No, they're not really leaving out much of anything. Remember, this is one of the zero tolerance schools in MD. He's a 2d grader, 7ish years old.

Make up your own mind. If you read enough different articles about an issue, you generally can get an idea of what actually happened.

In the 11 weeks since the massacre, at least two young children in the Washington region have been suspended for pointing their fingers like guns, and a 10-year-old in Alexandria was arrested by police for showing a toy gun to others on his school bus. In Pennsylvania, a 5-year-old was suspended for talking to classmates about shooting her “Hello Kitty” gun — which blows bubbles.

Anne Arundel second-grader suspended for chewing his pastry into the shape of a gun
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/anne-arundel-second-g...

Pop-Tart ‘gun’ suspension: Seriously, folks?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2013/03/05/pop-tart-...

Pop Tart gun, Josh Welch: School suspends 7-year-old for biting Pop Tart pastry into 'shape of gun'
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/pop-tart-gun-josh-welch-scho...

Student suspended for shaping Pop-Tart into gun
http://www.ktnv.com/news/watercooler/194673111.html

School district won't expunge Pop-Tart gun from boy's record
http://video.foxnews.com/v/2472213318001/school-district-wont-expun...

Boy suspended for 'Pop-Tart gun' now lifetime NRA member
http://news.msn.com/us/boy-suspended-for-pop-tart-gun-now-lifetime-...
2013-07-12 11:20 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Bloomberg will probably try to ban pop tarts because of the sugar content and the propensity to be bitten into the shape of assault weapons.
2013-07-12 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
While I understand the zero tolerance rules and the reasoning that led to their creation (my son has them in his school), I also believe that a little common sense would go a long way. I can't believe they suspended the kid over a pop tart. Any decent school counselor would have a chat with the kid and parents, explain the situation and policy, and kept it from escalating.

My oldest went to a school that had a zero tolerance policy. He was being picked on by another kid. One day my son has enough and pops the kid in class. Teacher doesn't see the incident. but someone reports it to his counselor. We get a call from the school, she has just had a chat with my son and he told her what happened. She knows my son very well, and it's totally out of character for him. Plus she's had to discipline the other boy several times. She tells us that since it was not officially reported there will be no record of the incident, but if it happens again my son will be suspended for a week as per school policy. And that, off the record, she totally sided with my son. Apparently she had tried to talk to the kid and his parent's and they were complete a-holes. A little judgement and common sense goes a long way.

2013-07-12 12:39 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly While I understand the zero tolerance rules and the reasoning that led to their creation (my son has them in his school), I also believe that a little common sense would go a long way. I can't believe they suspended the kid over a pop tart. Any decent school counselor would have a chat with the kid and parents, explain the situation and policy, and kept it from escalating. My oldest went to a school that had a zero tolerance policy. He was being picked on by another kid. One day my son has enough and pops the kid in class. Teacher doesn't see the incident. but someone reports it to his counselor. We get a call from the school, she has just had a chat with my son and he told her what happened. She knows my son very well, and it's totally out of character for him. Plus she's had to discipline the other boy several times. She tells us that since it was not officially reported there will be no record of the incident, but if it happens again my son will be suspended for a week as per school policy. And that, off the record, she totally sided with my son. Apparently she had tried to talk to the kid and his parent's and they were complete a-holes. A little judgement and common sense goes a long way.

Yeah, schools are whacked nowadays.  I had an incident a few months ago with my son (Sophomore in High School).  He was in his home room class and their was a substitute teacher.  Young lady fresh out of college.  She was talking to my son and he asked her what type of teacher she wanted to be.  She said an elementary school teacher.  He said that it sucks that she has to be here today.  She asks him what he meant by that and he said, oh you'll see.  Basically inferring that she wants to teach little kids and now she's got a class full of high school kids who can be a handful.

Well, she goes to the principle and reports that my son has made a threat and is planning to shoot the school up or do something really bad today.  He gets pulled out of class by the school resource officer (who is actually a family friend) and they have to go through their investigation.  My son is like WTF is wrong with this woman, but they still searched his locker, car, and went through all his notebooks.  The school resource officer called me and kind of laughed it off because he knows my son would be the last kid on earth to be violent.  Even with the teacher being told she was out of line she still insisted on my son being removed from the class and his friends went off on her.  Fortunately, about two days she was removed from the school and hasn't been seen since.

So, me thinks I agree with LB.  Common sense is gone nowadays.  It's all about fear and overreaction.

2013-07-12 1:16 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Originally posted by chirunner134

So what you mean is that you're OK with the 6-pack box of poptarts you get at the supermarket, but you're in favor of banning the 48-pack they sell at Walmart?
2013-07-12 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly While I understand the zero tolerance rules and the reasoning that led to their creation (my son has them in his school), I also believe that a little common sense would go a long way. I can't believe they suspended the kid over a pop tart. Any decent school counselor would have a chat with the kid and parents, explain the situation and policy, and kept it from escalating. My oldest went to a school that had a zero tolerance policy. He was being picked on by another kid. One day my son has enough and pops the kid in class. Teacher doesn't see the incident. but someone reports it to his counselor. We get a call from the school, she has just had a chat with my son and he told her what happened. She knows my son very well, and it's totally out of character for him. Plus she's had to discipline the other boy several times. She tells us that since it was not officially reported there will be no record of the incident, but if it happens again my son will be suspended for a week as per school policy. And that, off the record, she totally sided with my son. Apparently she had tried to talk to the kid and his parent's and they were complete a-holes. A little judgement and common sense goes a long way.

Yeah, schools are whacked nowadays.  I had an incident a few months ago with my son (Sophomore in High School).  He was in his home room class and their was a substitute teacher.  Young lady fresh out of college.  She was talking to my son and he asked her what type of teacher she wanted to be.  She said an elementary school teacher.  He said that it sucks that she has to be here today.  She asks him what he meant by that and he said, oh you'll see.  Basically inferring that she wants to teach little kids and now she's got a class full of high school kids who can be a handful.

Well, she goes to the principle and reports that my son has made a threat and is planning to shoot the school up or do something really bad today.  He gets pulled out of class by the school resource officer (who is actually a family friend) and they have to go through their investigation.  My son is like WTF is wrong with this woman, but they still searched his locker, car, and went through all his notebooks.  The school resource officer called me and kind of laughed it off because he knows my son would be the last kid on earth to be violent.  Even with the teacher being told she was out of line she still insisted on my son being removed from the class and his friends went off on her.  Fortunately, about two days she was removed from the school and hasn't been seen since.

So, me thinks I agree with LB.  Common sense is gone nowadays.  It's all about fear and overreaction.

Wasn't it you whose kid got the police called on them too? What kinds of kids are you raising? I blame the father.

Edited by JoshR 2013-07-12 1:18 PM
2013-07-12 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by JoshR
Originally posted by tuwood

Wasn't it you whose kid got the police called on them too? What kinds of kids are you raising? I blame the father.

lol, yeah that was his older brother exercising his constitutional rights to a police officer after trying to visit a friend at another school.  He really thought the incident with his little brother was hilarious.

The older one is the liberal of our family too.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. 

Edited by tuwood 2013-07-12 1:37 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

STUDY: Using Guns for Defense Leads to Fewer Injuries

Started by DanielG
Views: 2243 Posts: 20

2013-06-28 7:22 PM DanielG

Medical Groups Oppose Gun-Law Change To Share Mental Health Records

Started by DanielG
Views: 1897 Posts: 11

2013-06-19 2:04 PM powerman

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2148 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu

'The' Gun Thread Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48

Started by Ron
Views: 41045 Posts: 1177

2013-06-21 10:20 AM powerman

Gun threads - UPDATE

Started by Ron
Views: 2894 Posts: 2

2013-06-06 12:18 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Questions on training plan sport ratios, staying in HR zones, my HIM run suffers, training for a hot race, tri or road bike for a HIM and the length for a run focused training block.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.
date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I don’t currently have a bike, or the funds to acquire one. I have recently gotten into spinning. Is this a good way to train for the biking portion until I can get a real bike?

date : May 30, 2005
author : Team BT
Hamilton has vowed to fight the allegations and “clear his name.” Is he guilty? You decide.
date : September 5, 2004
author : USATriathlon
Position rule violations during triathlon racing.