Northwest Runner
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 11h 55m
Overall Rank = 95/238
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/57
Pre-race routine:

Took a nap since the race was a midnight run. Did a little bit of warm up (stretching, jumping). Had some water.
Event warmup:

Stretched and chatted. Nothing major since I was pretty warm from running and biking during the day. This was to be just a "fun run" so I wasn't too concerned with being in race mode.
Run
  • 27m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually had a really good run. I started out going easy and then I thought "Actually feeling pretty good, go ahead and give it some gas." I was hoping for a better time, but considering I'd run six miles that morning, and biked all around Seattle that day, I did pretty well. I passed a LOT of people and was passed by only one person who passed me...on the last few hundred yards of the race. Oh well!

Did a lot of hill passing, which makes me feel good. I'd estimate there were probably 300-400 people so my rank of 94 isn't bad, although I think that's 94 among the women, not overall. Actual results should be up soon.
What would you do differently?:

If I were being competitive or going for a personal best, I would not have run 6 miles that day, nor would I have ridden my bike so much. But I had an awesome run that morning, and a really great time biking with Roy, so I wouldn't change that. I might not take a nap since I felt groggy due to the napping. I'd like to do this race again next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out and grabbed a bagel and some juice for Roy and I. Went over to the finish line to cheer him in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Late night, hills, lots of exercise during the day.

Event comments:

The course wasn't really "too hard" but I'd say a little harder than I'm used to on 5ks. It was challenging, but I enjoyed the challenge. Lots of volunteers and I enjoyed thanking them as I ran by. I always appreciate the people who are keeping me from getting squished as I do crazy things like run through the streets of Seattle at midnight. Lots of cheering from cars and passersby. That was fun.

Last updated: 2004-07-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:43 | 03.1 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/57
Overall: 95/238
Performance: Good
Course: Very hilly course. Started out going downhill on Mercer street. Of course what goes down, must come up! The course went around in a circle, then a smaller circle ending with a big hill then into the Seattle Center to the International Fountain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes