General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I think it's time we talked about lube... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-11 10:56 PM

User image

Subject: I think it's time we talked about lube...

Ha! I knew you couldn't resist! Ok..in all seriousness I do have some questions here.  I see a lot of people talk about trislide, vaseline, body glide, and creams for keeping their bottom parts from from rubbed right off.  I bought some body glide but never used it yet.  I also got some trislide and used it for my wet suit for my HIM.  After biking and running I finally figured out that the reason my neck was rubbed raw was because of my stupid wet suit.  Lesson learned:  lube up my neck with either body glide or trislide.  Which would help the most there?

Next question:  What do you guys use to protect your..."parts" for bike/run?  I came from a marathon background of 2 years and I was told just get some vaseline and slick it places where the sun don't shine (front + rear).  This worked very well for me.  I never had any issues with this.  The issue I had during my HIM though was that I was in a hurry and just gobbed a bunch in my front area before my bike.  Seeing some pictures of my run, it looks white around there suggesting that it stained through or something. I wash my shorts and they look new but I'm going to try to avoid that look.  What do you guys do from the front areas for long bike/runs?  Again I've used vaseline for my 6+ hour training bike rides and I've had no issues (no staining either when I use a normal amount) but I'm open to suggestions here.  I never used the seat creams people talk about.  What's the benefit there?  It's a little late to talk these questions considering my first IM is in 2 weeks but I'd rather be overly lubed and feeling good then finish the run as a eunuch with a bum that's been welded shut via friction.

2013-07-11 11:47 PM
in reply to: Blastman

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: I think it's time we talked about lube...
Bodyglide has been plenty for me with everything. On the bike, if I need something more then I likely need to time the standing breaks a bit better and/or keep my hips more steady depending on what type of feeling develops. I've tried the Asos cream, but it was actually too slick. Never felt a need for more than bodyglide on the run. I've never bothered to reapply in the middle of a race and have had no trouble. But if history has shown you might need it, then would recommend taking the extra minute to do so as an already long day will become much more so. No need to make long course feel longer than it already is.
2013-07-11 11:52 PM

User image

Regular
I wear dark colored shorts See my pic for my tri suit.

Wetsuit, I use body glide at then ankles, back of knees, armpits/shoulder area, and neck area.

Bike, vasoline applied copiously prior to the swim along with bag balm.

for HIMs I am fine the entire time. For my IM I have done, I stopped at special needs and reapplied. So it seems that the swim deteriorated some of the lube as I have done 4-5 hour rides with lubing up in the beginning and have been fine.
2013-07-12 12:21 AM
in reply to: spie34

User image

I am new to the tri game but I have a cycling background, so for the bike i use DZ nuts, i have had good success with it. Not too sure if it will stay on during the swim, im pretty sure it will.
2013-07-12 1:06 AM
in reply to: DOH22

User image

Expert
Bag Balm
2013-07-12 3:42 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

I use TriSlide for my wetsuit including the back of the neck.

Now, onto chamois cream:

Chamois Butt'r - good stuff for general use. It wears off/out at about 1 to
1.5 hours.
Chamois Butt'r Eurostyle - same time limitation but definite WOOHOO factor
when you're putting it on.:
http://www.amazon.com/Chamois-Buttr-8-Ounce-Eurostyle-Lubricant/dp/...

Sportique Century Riding Cream -
This stuff ROCKS! It smells like fermenting beer, though. Works for up to 5
hours as far as I can tell
WONDERFUL stuff. has a beer/hops/yeasty
smell that I kinda like. The smell is easily identified two or three rooms away
so it's not exactly subtle. So far I've done 5 hour rides with it and not a
single problem plus it cleared up an irritation spot I had from the last time
my cream wore off. Less expensive than Assos.:
http://www.amazon.com/Sportique-Century-Riding-Cream-SKU028/dp/B001...

Beljum Budder -
This stuff works well, has been great for up to 6 hours that I've tried
it. A little thinner than the other two. This is what I use now for all rides:
http://www.beljumbudder.com/purchase/

Assos -
great stuff as well. It doesn't wear off and works even when you put
it on before the swim and forget to put more on for the bike.
Excellent stuff. A touch more expensive than the others but worth every
cent:
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/assos-chamois-creme

Bag Balm - gets into everything. Coats the seat. Works like a champ for up to
6 hours and is relatively dirt cheap.
petroleum jelly based. It's a little thick for me anyway and even
when I'm burning up it's still molasses.

DZNuts -
Not worth the effort for me. Wears off after about an hour or so.
Does well until that, though.
http://www.amazon.com/DZ-Nuts-Pro-Chamios-Cream/dp/accessories/B003...

Asics Chafe Free Endurance -
really good and right up there with the Assos
but is a different consistancy. REALLY expensive but I'm going to keep a tube
around if I find it. There are a number out there now for runners but they're
in 1 and 1.5 Oz tubes for about $5-10 so they're not really affordable for
the long term.

Body Glide -
doesn't work for me as a chamois lube. Works great for wetsuit
removal but I think I sweat it off in about 10 seconds on the saddle.

2013-07-12 3:55 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
A lot comes down to personal preference. Daniel gave a good list, and has obviously tried many different things. Body Glide doesn't work well for his undercarriage, but for me it works well. That's all I use for chafing, applying it liberally to the back of my neck before long wetsuit swims and to the areas I tend to chafe from the saddle. Are you sure the white you saw in your photos was Vaseline and not salt from sweating? In longer races for most people and all races for salty sweaters, salt marks are common on darker color clothing.
2013-07-12 4:44 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I have always used a "bike specific" saddle lube in the nether regions.  They are designed specifically for this purpose.  Many have ingredients that can help prevent saddle sores.  I honestly don't have a favorite...I've used them all.  I guess the euro style chamois butt'r is probably the closest thing I have to a favorite.  But they all work.  Different people do tend to like different kinds.

For "everywhere else" I use vaseline and/or aquaphor.  Aquaphor is a little less greasy than vaseline so if you want a vaseline like experience with less grease then try aquaphor.  Plus you end up with an endless supply of aquaphor because it seems like every single race hands out the samples.

As for avoiding a "stain" look...do a better job aiming?  Take your time shoving the stuff down your pants and it will be in the right spot and not stain the front?

2013-07-12 6:14 AM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Based on Daniel's previous post on this issue (which is a hugely beneficial service - thanks Daniel) I started using bag balm to lube up the boys. Put on generously before the swim and the stuff is still there at the end of the run. (I use the stuff for bike workouts too, not just races) He is right tho, my saddle now permanently has the scent of bag balm. For potential chafing at arm/neck holes in my jersey, I use body glide.

A bit off topic: At my last race I just stood there in the middle of transition pre-race, grabbed a big handful of bag balm, shoved it down my shorts. No one looked (that I know of) or if they did, they did not care. Just proving what others echoed here: In transition the lube light is lit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I think it's time we talked about lube... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Average times are slower and it's time to "restore speed" Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 3141 Posts: 32

2012-11-14 5:18 AM mattramirez

All this Tattoo talk got me thinking again...

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 3656 Posts: 14

2011-06-23 6:24 PM teamHaggiethemrs

All this talk of doping got me thinking.. Pages: 1 2

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 3413 Posts: 50

2011-05-26 10:58 PM jmot

What does Tri Talk think?

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 1131 Posts: 10

2009-09-02 12:34 PM jcbolton

Time for new lube

Started by Tyrell
Views: 771 Posts: 5

2009-06-24 6:36 AM DanielG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : March 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on indoor bike workouts, IM fueling, coke or broth, bikes and swimming exercises.
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.