Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: What would you do?
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by tuwood
Originally posted by Left Brain

I don't know when or where it'll happen.......but I can't wait for the day when I get to yell......"LOOK OUT!!!  HE'S GOT A BULLPUP AND HE'S POLISHING HIS FLAGPOLE!!!"  Laughing

Right?

I have to admit,  Tony, of all the euphemisms you could have picked, this one really makes me giggle.

Tony, um, can you say masturbate? 

lol, I can.  However, you have to be aware of the male psyche.  When you say that word, every man within a 50 yard radius looks at the floor and immediately changes the subject. 

Really? Not just the Catholics?

Nope, ironically enough religious folks tend to be more open and willing to talk about it than non religious types in my experience.

That's surprising. Maybe it shouldn't be. I went to an Episcopal boarding school. The guys had a running contest to see who could (oh, which one should I use) rub one out in the most outrageous place at the most outrageous time. I believe the term they used was "owning". A few guys even owned the chapel during the service.

I'm sure it varies from place to place, but I've seen all levels of acceptance and shame.
Back in the Navy, it was the mark of death to be caught "dancing with the one eyed sailor".  One guy got caught and everyone from the Captain of the ship on down called him Spanky from that day forward.  I'm friends with him on facebook and all of my shipmates still call him Spanky.  (20 years after the fact).  So, as you can imagine nobody EVER talked about it in the Navy.

I think the willingness to talk about it is related a lot to what I mentioned above.  The individual has to accept that their behavior has become unmanageable and it's causing problems.  When they make the decision to try and change the behavior then it's easier to talk about.  If their attitude is, there's nothing wrong with me and I'm not doing anything wrong then it's a one way discussion.

I like to challenge guys with this little test.  OK, you are not addicted to masturbation?  So, if that's the case then I want you to go 30 days without doing it.  If you're not addicted then that shouldn't be a problem, right?  It usually only takes a day or two before they come back with a glum look on their face.

Also, for the record I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing.  Obviously I have religious beliefs but they're mostly geared towards what's going on in your head during the process.  I don't take a blanket approach that "masturbation is a sin" because I think it's more about what your thinking about.  If you're fantasizing about the neighbor lady when you're doing it; OK that's a sin. 
However, I talked with one guy who was deployed for 12 months to Iraq and he said he always thought about his wife when he did it.  I am certainly not the ultimate judge, but I didn't have a problem with that, and would have a tough time calling it a sin.

2013-07-18 9:16 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by powerman

I don't know when or where it'll happen.......but I can't wait for the day when I get to yell......"LOOK OUT!!!  HE'S GOT A BULLPUP AND HE'S POLISHING HIS FLAGPOLE!!!"  Laughing

Right?

I have to admit,  Tony, of all the euphemisms you could have picked, this one really makes me giggle.

lol, I can.  However, you have to be aware of the male psyche.  When you say that word, every man within a 50 yard radius looks at the floor and immediately changes the subject. 

Why do you hate love?

lol, hey I'm not trying to make it illegal. 

2013-07-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
I am the King of my Domain.
2013-07-18 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Right?

Nope, ironically enough religious folks tend to be more open and willing to talk about it than non religious types in my experience.

That's surprising. Maybe it shouldn't be. I went to an Episcopal boarding school. The guys had a running contest to see who could (oh, which one should I use) rub one out in the most outrageous place at the most outrageous time. I believe the term they used was "owning". A few guys even owned the chapel during the service.

I'm sure it varies from place to place, but I've seen all levels of acceptance and shame.
Back in the Navy, it was the mark of death to be caught "dancing with the one eyed sailor".  One guy got caught and everyone from the Captain of the ship on down called him Spanky from that day forward.  I'm friends with him on facebook and all of my shipmates still call him Spanky.  (20 years after the fact).  So, as you can imagine nobody EVER talked about it in the Navy.

I think the willingness to talk about it is related a lot to what I mentioned above.  The individual has to accept that their behavior has become unmanageable and it's causing problems.  When they make the decision to try and change the behavior then it's easier to talk about.  If their attitude is, there's nothing wrong with me and I'm not doing anything wrong then it's a one way discussion.

I like to challenge guys with this little test.  OK, you are not addicted to masturbation?  So, if that's the case then I want you to go 30 days without doing it.  If you're not addicted then that shouldn't be a problem, right?  It usually only takes a day or two before they come back with a glum look on their face.

Also, for the record I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing.  Obviously I have religious beliefs but they're mostly geared towards what's going on in your head during the process.  I don't take a blanket approach that "masturbation is a sin" because I think it's more about what your thinking about.  If you're fantasizing about the neighbor lady when you're doing it; OK that's a sin. 
However, I talked with one guy who was deployed for 12 months to Iraq and he said he always thought about his wife when he did it.  I am certainly not the ultimate judge, but I didn't have a problem with that, and would have a tough time calling it a sin.

Dang! Watch out for day 31! Surprised

Joking aside. You said earlier that the use of a magazine for polishing was normal and healthy. How does that jive with your religious views? In my experience that has always been seen as a sin in the religious circles I know about.

2013-07-18 10:20 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, so let's just go through the hot-button topics we've hit thus far:

Rape/Violence against women √

Home/Self Defense √

Guns √

Sex Addiction √

Masturbation √

Religion √

Now that's a good thread!

Race? Politics? 

Anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?

2013-07-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Home/Self Defense √

Guns √

Sex Addiction √

Masturbation √

Religion √

Race? Politics? 

Masturbation while holding guns has increased 25% since Obama, the first black president, took office.

That should about cover it.

2013-07-18 10:26 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Home/Self Defense √

Guns √

Sex Addiction √

Masturbation √

Religion √

Race? Politics? 

Masturbation while holding guns has increased 25% since Obama, the first black president, took office.

Thanks Obama.
2013-07-18 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Home/Self Defense √

Guns √

Sex Addiction √

Masturbation √

Religion √

Race? Politics? 

Thanks Obama.

I don't know, without abortion and gay marriage this thread still feels incomplete.

2013-07-18 12:36 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by kevin_trapp

Rape/Violence against women v

Home/Self Defense v

Guns v

Sex Addiction v

Masturbation v

Religion v

Race? Politics? 

Thanks Obama.

I don't know, without abortion and gay marriage this thread still feels incomplete.

And flip turns. Don't forget flip turns.
2013-07-18 12:58 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by kevin_trapp

Home/Self Defense v

Guns v

Sex Addiction v

Masturbation v

Religion v

Race? Politics? 

Thanks Obama.

And flip turns. Don't forget flip turns.
and clinchers v. tubulars.
2013-07-18 3:53 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Home/Self Defense √

Guns √

Sex Addiction √

Masturbation √

Religion √

Race? Politics? 

Hmm, I could touch on my opinions about same sex attraction. 

2013-07-18 3:54 PM

User image

Pro

Home/Self Defense √

Guns √

Sex Addiction √

Masturbation √

Religion √

Race? Politics? 

Yeah, go ahead....all this thread is missing is someone getting REALLY pizzed off.....go for it. Laughing

2013-07-18 4:21 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Right?

Dang! Watch out for day 31! Surprised

Joking aside. You said earlier that the use of a magazine for polishing was normal and healthy. How does that jive with your religious views? In my experience that has always been seen as a sin in the religious circles I know about.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia for you.  Tudor Rosca holds the world record for masturbating to 36 orgasms in 24 hours.  ouch

OK, now for the joking aside:
Great question.  I touched on it a little bit earlier, and I personally feel it's not as cut and dry as "masturbation is a sin".  I do believe that adultery is a sin, and I know that Jesus said during the sermon on the mound that if I look upon a woman lustfully, then I have committed adultery.  So, yes if someone is looking at nudie pictures while masturbating, then it would qualify as sin in my book.  I will also say that from what I've heard (yeah, that's it) it is very difficult to masturbate while keeping a pure mind, so one could easily conclude that masturbation by its very nature is sin.

However, I gave an example earlier about a guy who was deployed for 12 months in Iraq.  He is a strong christian and kept his mind focused on his wife during the act.  I personally don't feel there is any sin involved whatsoever in his case.

Now, as for me saying it's "normal and healthy". I was generally keeping it secular in nature based on the compulsive behavior itself.  Kind of like lying, cheating,  drinking, gambling, etc... are all sins but most everyone does them at one point or another.  Then there are the people who compulsively lie, cheat, drink, and gamble which are the ones that need help.  So, it's easy to say the former are normal and healthy in comparison to the latter.

2013-07-18 4:24 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Home/Self Defense √

Guns √

Sex Addiction √

Masturbation √

Religion √

Race? Politics? 

Yeah, go ahead....all this thread is missing is someone getting REALLY pizzed off.....go for it. Laughing

lol, what's funny is I bet nobody in this thread could even guess what I think about same sex attraction. buhaha

2013-07-18 4:28 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Home/Self Defense v

Guns v

Sex Addiction v

Masturbation v

Religion v

Race? Politics? 

lol, what's funny is I bet nobody in this thread could even guess what I think about same sex attraction. buhaha

Pray tell Tony...
2013-07-18 4:43 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Home/Self Defense v

Guns v

Sex Addiction v

Masturbation v

Religion v

Race? Politics? 

Pray tell Tony...

If I tell, then everyone would be able to guess.  What's the fun in that.

2013-07-18 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Home/Self Defense v

Guns v

Sex Addiction v

Masturbation v

Religion v

Race? Politics? 

Pray tell Tony...

Is "buhaha" a hint?
2013-07-18 4:48 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Home/Self Defense v

Guns v

Sex Addiction v

Masturbation v

Religion v

Race? Politics? 

Pray tell Tony...

Is "buhaha" a hint?

lol, no.  It's just my evil laugh

2013-07-18 4:49 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Home/Self Defense v

Guns v

Sex Addiction v

Masturbation v

Religion v

Race? Politics? 

Pray tell Tony...

Is "buhaha" a hint?

lol, no.  It's just my evil laugh

bu...what? Dude, do not set me up like that!
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » What would you do? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"