General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Female cyclists start a petition to be included in Tour de France Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-12 9:58 AM

User image

Subject: Female cyclists start a petition to be included in Tour de France
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tour-de-france-wom...

Saw this posted and thought it mgiht be of interest to some people - Chrissie Wellington is one of the women on the petition

2013-07-12 10:59 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Female cyclists start a petition to be included in Tour de France

My Facebook feed has recently been FILLED with "half the road," a petition to promote women's cycling in general.  Major women's races are barely covered - although I'm not sure this is any different than the women's side of most professional sports.  I'm almost a little ashamed that the thought never crossed my mind - I just don't expect to see professional female atheletes anymore.  Sad.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/half-the-road-the-passion-pitfalls-power-of-women-s-professional-cycling

2013-07-12 11:01 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by austhokie http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tour-de-france-wom... Saw this posted and thought it mgiht be of interest to some people - Chrissie Wellington is one of the women on the petition

If a woman's team can qualify then I agree, they should be in.  But only if they can qualify.

2013-07-12 11:15 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by austhokie http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tour-de-france-wom... Saw this posted and thought it mgiht be of interest to some people - Chrissie Wellington is one of the women on the petition

If a woman's team can qualify then I agree, they should be in.  But only if they can qualify.

Never mind.  Read further.  They want their own version, not included with the men but on the same course as the men with their own TdF.  Hmmm..... that will take further thought before I respond.

2013-07-12 12:12 PM

User image

Never mind.  Read further.  They want their own version, not included with the men but on the same course as the men with their own TdF.  Hmmm..... that will take further thought before I respond.

the separate race (Tour Feminine) USED to be held but no longer is - not that they want their own separate race...because the article then goes on to say about the current limitations in place on how far women can ride in one day - and how those would need to be waived before they could compete

"cycling’s governing body, the Union Cycliste Internationale, has rules in place limiting the distance women can ride in a single road race. Since that distance is much shorter than that of men's races, that rule would either have to be changed or there would have to be different start and finish lines for men and women to compete in the Tour de France at the same time."
2013-07-12 12:14 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Originally posted by mehaner

My Facebook feed has recently been FILLED with "half the road," a petition to promote women's cycling in general.  Major women's races are barely covered - although I'm not sure this is any different than the women's side of most professional sports.  I'm almost a little ashamed that the thought never crossed my mind - I just don't expect to see professional female atheletes anymore.  Sad.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/half-the-road-the-passion-pitfalls-power-of-women-s-professional-cycling

I think that is just the current mindset of women's sports in general. Following Wimbledon there was this huge celebration because Andy Murray had won become the first british MALE since the 1930's - but hardly anyone recognized/mentioned the fact that a British woman won in the late 1970's

or the horrendous treatment the female winner this year got on twitter because she wasn't cute and blonde - being called a pig, ppl demanding a DNA to make sure she is female etc...

2013-07-12 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by austhokie

the separate race (Tour Feminine) USED to be held but no longer is - not that they want their own separate race...because the article then goes on to say about the current limitations in place on how far women can ride in one day - and how those would need to be waived before they could compete "cycling’s governing body, the Union Cycliste Internationale, has rules in place limiting the distance women can ride in a single road race. Since that distance is much shorter than that of men's races, that rule would either have to be changed or there would have to be different start and finish lines for men and women to compete in the Tour de France at the same time."

Yeah, that needs to change. 

2013-07-12 12:35 PM

User image

Champion

I think that is just the current mindset of women's sports in general. Following Wimbledon there was this huge celebration because Andy Murray had won become the first british MALE since the 1930's - but hardly anyone recognized/mentioned the fact that a British woman won in the late 1970's or the horrendous treatment the female winner this year got on twitter because she wasn't cute and blonde - being called a pig, ppl demanding a DNA to make sure she is female etc...

Agree with you on this too.

2013-07-12 1:07 PM

User image

I think that is just the current mindset of women's sports in general. Following Wimbledon there was this huge celebration because Andy Murray had won become the first british MALE since the 1930's - but hardly anyone recognized/mentioned the fact that a British woman won in the late 1970's or the horrendous treatment the female winner this year got on twitter because she wasn't cute and blonde - being called a pig, ppl demanding a DNA to make sure she is female etc...

its like having the obligatory woman (or other less represented group) on a team - I don't want a position because i'm female, I want the position because I am good at my job. I was "lucky" enough to be the only female on a ship with 330 guys at one stage (only female officer, not set up for female enlisted yet) - it was an interesting experience...

if they can compete at the same level as the guys, and meet the qualifications, then I am all for them competing
2013-07-17 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

its like having the obligatory woman (or other less represented group) on a team - I don't want a position because i'm female, I want the position because I am good at my job. I was "lucky" enough to be the only female on a ship with 330 guys at one stage (only female officer, not set up for female enlisted yet) - it was an interesting experience... if they can compete at the same level as the guys, and meet the qualifications, then I am all for them competing

I agree with that. If they can qualify and compete then I have no problem with them being in the race.

But from the article it sounds like they are looking for a separate women's category in the race. Not sure how I feel about that. Sounds like they tried a separate women's race but no one watched or was interested. I don't think I like the idea of two separate races going on at the same time just so people are forced to watch a race they wouldn't otherwise watch.

But heck yeah if the women can hang with and beat the guys then more power to them, let em in. 

2013-07-17 5:06 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Originally posted by Aarondb4

its like having the obligatory woman (or other less represented group) on a team - I don't want a position because i'm female, I want the position because I am good at my job. I was "lucky" enough to be the only female on a ship with 330 guys at one stage (only female officer, not set up for female enlisted yet) - it was an interesting experience... if they can compete at the same level as the guys, and meet the qualifications, then I am all for them competing

I agree with that. If they can qualify and compete then I have no problem with them being in the race.

But from the article it sounds like they are looking for a separate women's category in the race. Not sure how I feel about that. Sounds like they tried a separate women's race but no one watched or was interested. I don't think I like the idea of two separate races going on at the same time just so people are forced to watch a race they wouldn't otherwise watch.

But heck yeah if the women can hang with and beat the guys then more power to them, let em in. 

my understanding of the article was that the way the regulations are written right that, that would be a requirement - since women have a maximum distance for a day that is less than the guys - so the regulations would have to be re-written before they can compete

2013-07-19 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I think it comes down to an issue of money rather than the physical capabilities of female cyclists....there is not the media coverage, sponsorship or team money available to women in this sport- yet! Maybe this will set something in motion though and raise awareness. It would cost a heck of a lot of money to put on a female version TDF...they would have to be able to prove they could pull in viewers, spectators and sponsorship. 

Many of the bike companies (I'm thinking Trek & Specialized in particular) are promoting women's cycling by putting on clinics, giveaways and designing women specific equipment...I think that is awesome. However, when I look around my weekly group rides, I'd estimate around only 10-15% of the riders are female.... I just don't think that there's the interest to make it financially viable, unfortunately!

2013-07-19 12:35 PM
in reply to: riorio

User image

Originally posted by riorio

I think it comes down to an issue of money rather than the physical capabilities of female cyclists....there is not the media coverage, sponsorship or team money available to women in this sport- yet! Maybe this will set something in motion though and raise awareness. It would cost a heck of a lot of money to put on a female version TDF...they would have to be able to prove they could pull in viewers, spectators and sponsorship. 

Many of the bike companies (I'm thinking Trek & Specialized in particular) are promoting women's cycling by putting on clinics, giveaways and designing women specific equipment...I think that is awesome. However, when I look around my weekly group rides, I'd estimate around only 10-15% of the riders are female.... I just don't think that there's the interest to make it financially viable, unfortunately!

or really any major women's sports - with the exception of those that are tied to a men's...like Tennis Grand Slams...even something like Soccer where the US Women's team consistently does well, doesnt' seem to get the coverage that the men get...
2013-07-22 1:59 PM

I think as long as they dont have to alter the race in any way and if a Team feels a woman is good enough to be on their team they should be allowed to race. But just to allow women in because they have never been in and changing a race thats been around for 100 years to accomodate women I dont agree with. Its reality that women are not physical equals of males and in certain sports they just cannot compete. If its about money, what would happen if there was no gender separation in sports and every sport was everyone against everyone for all the money? As an example take the 2012 Ironman Championship. They payout the top 10 places on mens and womens race. If they combined those payouts and even paid out the top 20 places, the Women's Champion Leanda Cave would not even have placed for money because she would have finished 30th overall. Instead she ends up with $100,000 and whatever endorsement deals she gains. So the point I'm making is it would actually be a detriment to women to be involved in some male sports and it should be ok for men to have just their own sport just like women have their own Colleges, clubs, and etc.
2013-07-22 5:45 PM
in reply to: USAFR

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
2013-07-24 8:02 PM

User image

I think sponsorship is the biggest issue.  The men's pro teams are having a hard enough time finding steady sponsors as it is right now.  I think it was mentioned that it costs a minimum of $10 million per year to run a top level UCI cycling team.  This stuff ain't cheap.  And when a team like HTC Highroad actually wins 5 stages in the TdF...then HTC decides to pull out as a sponsor...you kind of get a sense that sponsors aren't exactly lining up at the door willing to throw their money around for pro teams.  Belkien was team "Blanco" for basically the first 6 months of the year because they couldn't attain a sponsor.

2013-07-29 12:07 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro
I hope they get the opportunity. I was a volunteer at the Philly Cycling Classic (for USADA - fun!) and the women did the same course, only half the distance. The prize money was equal for men and women, something the winner of the women's race commented on at the podium. In some ways the women's race was more exciting, as it came down to a sprint to the top of the Manayunk Wall and the men's race wasn't as close.

You're right about sponsorship, this comes down to money. On a good note, [uel=http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/unitedhealthcare-to-launch-womens-team-in-2014]United Healthcare announced they will be sponsoring a women's UCI pro team in 2014.
2013-09-13 2:37 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Female cyclists start a petition to be included in Tour de France Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tour De France Team Line ups

Started by kaqphin
Views: 2505 Posts: 14

2008-07-07 8:14 PM Denise2003

a trip to 2008 tour de france

Started by chi-fire
Views: 1158 Posts: 2

2007-08-02 2:41 PM ASA22

Tour de France dreams?

Started by madkat
Views: 1341 Posts: 2

2006-07-21 6:32 PM yaqui

Tour De France Favor

Started by madcow
Views: 1959 Posts: 9

2005-07-03 6:56 PM ChuckyFinster

Map of the Tour de France 2005

Started by swimzor
Views: 1639 Posts: 1

2005-06-29 7:52 AM swimzor
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : January 30, 2006
author : amandacmuller
In all of my tri-clothing research, I could never find a trisuit that would offer support where I needed it. I found that my choices were limited.
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.