General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shorts or run shorts in HIM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-12 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Tri shorts or run shorts in HIM?

I'm doing my 2nd HIM in late August and am wondering what the consensus is regarding changing into running shorts in T2 or sticking with the tri shorts?

My first HIM was over five years ago and I wore my tri shorts and had no issues so I guess I could answer my own question by saying if it ain't broke don't fix it...

However I'm doing a better job of planning for this race and because I'll need to take some time to put on my compression calf sleeves I thought maybe i'd throw on some running shorts (along with some bodyglide if needed)...

2013-07-12 10:20 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Tri shorts or run shorts in HIM?
Tri shorts.  One there is no changing tent to switch out.  Two do your tri shorts really chafe enough that you'd need to take time to change in the first place?
2013-07-12 11:10 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by uhcoog Tri shorts.  One there is no changing tent to switch out.  Two do your tri shorts really chafe enough that you'd need to take time to change in the first place?

Actually there is... My event is a HIM and full (non IM branded) and they have a tent in transition....T1 and T2 are at the rack just like OLY's, sprints etc...

As I mentioned, no problems whatsoever in my first HIM regarding chafing... The difference this time is I want to wear my calf compression sleeves and I thought if I take a minute to put those on, if it's worth another 45 seconds to a minute, I'd put on running shorts too....

2013-07-12 11:43 AM

Master
Northern IL
Since it was 5 years ago, have you done much running in the tri shorts since then? Make sure they still fit ok. If not, then look for new shorts as that's what they're for, going the whole race.
2013-07-12 11:56 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by brigby1 Since it was 5 years ago, have you done much running in the tri shorts since then? Make sure they still fit ok. If not, then look for new shorts as that's what they're for, going the whole race.

I wasn't saying I was wearing THE tri shorts from 5 years ago, that point was made to convey how long since my last HIM...

I agree, fit is crucial and I'll most likely still go with tri shorts...

Let me make this more confusing.....What do people do that ride a road bike in a HIM, do you wear tri shorts and tough it out?  A buddy suggested putting my tri saddle on my roadie IF I were to ride the roadie...

The bike course is quite hilly and a few people who did it last year claim to be riding their roadies this year...

2013-07-12 1:35 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Let me make it simple.

Tri bike. Tri shorts. No compression sleeves unless they are really important to you.

2013-07-12 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I wouldn't change saddles for your road bike, it will be a pain to get settled and the Tri saddle is designed to be a "bit" more comfortable when riding forward and leaning forward.

Just go with tri shorts and keep things simple. Some people like to feel fresh going into the run but I personally like getting the run over with and so a quick T2 feels better.
2013-07-12 2:40 PM
in reply to: cbrave

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
For me, it's tri shorts all day at a HIM. Did Oceanside this year (was my first triathlon) and didn't even notice the pad while running. I'm doing IMAZ in November and am not considering running shorts even at that distance.

My problem with running shorts is they stick to your legs once they're wet or drenched in sweat. I find that very annoying and it leads to chaffing sometimes. Tri shorts never get in the way...
2013-07-12 2:44 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by JohnnyKay Let me make it simple. Tri bike. Tri shorts. No compression sleeves unless they are really important to you.

I'm trying to determine if the sleeves are necessary or not.... I started with them because of calf and achilles soreness....I'm a fore-foot striker and I've felt the sleeves are helping with alleviating some of the soreness....The sleeves and rolling out the legs after running and riding..

I'm riding the HIM bike course again this weekend on my tri bike so my decision will be educated regarding which bike to ride..I rode it a week ago on my roadie..

2013-07-12 2:46 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by devilfan02 For me, it's tri shorts all day at a HIM. Did Oceanside this year (was my first triathlon) and didn't even notice the pad while running. I'm doing IMAZ in November and am not considering running shorts even at that distance. My problem with running shorts is they stick to your legs once they're wet or drenched in sweat. I find that very annoying and it leads to chaffing sometimes. Tri shorts never get in the way...

Excellent point....I've had this a few times this summer on my long runs..

It's overwhelmingly tri shorts, thanks for all the comments... I wouldn't have thought to consider running shorts if I hadn't run across a comment in another thread about it....Albeit I think it was a 140.6 where the poster mentioned it...

2013-07-12 2:57 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by devilfan02 For me, it's tri shorts all day at a HIM. Did Oceanside this year (was my first triathlon) and didn't even notice the pad while running. I'm doing IMAZ in November and am not considering running shorts even at that distance. My problem with running shorts is they stick to your legs once they're wet or drenched in sweat. I find that very annoying and it leads to chaffing sometimes. Tri shorts never get in the way...

Excellent point....I've had this a few times this summer on my long runs..

It's overwhelmingly tri shorts, thanks for all the comments... I wouldn't have thought to consider running shorts if I hadn't run across a comment in another thread about it....Albeit I think it was a 140.6 where the poster mentioned it...

I can see why some prefer running shorts... It really comes down to what you're most comfortable in. I had to get passed feeling like a dbag everytime I went on a training run in spandex (tri shorts). Now I don't even care because I like running in tri shorts much more than running shorts.

2013-07-12 5:09 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Veteran
clayton
for me its tri shorts; but its a pesonal thing - try them both and see what works best for you. If you are not looking for time but instead want comfirt then maybe changing into running is right for you.

either way have fun!
2013-07-12 5:10 PM
in reply to: markhodges1973

User image

Regular
My avatar is what I wear from start to finish for HIM and IM. I see no need to change but I guess that is just me.
2013-07-12 5:49 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Expert
tri shorts for me too. actually wear them for my stand alone halves. I like them much better than my running shorts.
2013-07-12 8:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

What I did for my HIM: Swam in tri shorts. Put bike shorts over tri shorts for bike. Took bike shorts off for run and ran in original tri shorts. It worked out well for me and plus I got an extra 2mm of padding from the double shorts I forgot to take bike shorts off after I put running shoes on though but it didn't matter. Bike shorts are strechy and I was able to get them off in 3 seconds, even with shoes on. For my upcoming full, I'm debating running in shorts. Going to put shorts and boxers in my run bag and play it by ear on if I want to change or not. Like a guy said though, from what I hear, almost no HIMs have changing areas unless you want to change in port-a-potty.

Edited by Blastman 2013-07-12 8:57 PM
2013-07-13 7:26 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Tri shorts or UA spandex shorts...for me it's a matter of chafing.  With running shorts my inner thighs chafe...in tri shorts problem is solved.  For IM distance I like to get out of my nasty tri shorts and put on something clean but I use UA black spandex shorts so they still avoid the chafing issue.

2013-07-13 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Tri shorts or tri suit the whole race. If you're worried about chafing on the bike, shove some chamois cream down your pants in T1. I guarantee you won't be the only one doing it. Body glide or trislide in T2 if you really need it.
2013-07-15 6:30 PM

Regular
This worked real well for me > I wore non-padded tri shorts under the wetsuit. At T1, I pulled on a pair of bike shorts over the non-padded trishorts. Took 5-6 seconds. At T2, I pulled off the bike shorts, 10 seconds, and ran in the tri shorts. Try it in training and see how it feels. I actually do it on long training rides because it prevents chafing.
2013-07-22 3:40 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I've done two HIMs.  First was in tri shorts with a tri top.  Second was a tri suit.  From now on, at least at that distance, I will be a tri suit.  Felt more comfortable and going to the bathroom wasn't really an issue for me. 

Now, I'm lookint at IMAZ in November and I'm still not sure yet.  I will probably find a new tri suit that stands out in the crowd.  My wife is going and apparantly a black and white tri suit is "Too hard to pick me out of a crowd".  The lovely bride of mine wants me to go with some neon color tri suit.  Ugh.  LOL.

Good luck with the HIM!!

2013-07-22 4:02 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

I've done two HIMs.  First was in tri shorts with a tri top.  Second was a tri suit.  From now on, at least at that distance, I will be a tri suit.  Felt more comfortable and going to the bathroom wasn't really an issue for me. 

Now, I'm lookint at IMAZ in November and I'm still not sure yet.  I will probably find a new tri suit that stands out in the crowd.  My wife is going and apparantly a black and white tri suit is "Too hard to pick me out of a crowd".  The lovely bride of mine wants me to go with some neon color tri suit.  Ugh.  LOL.

Good luck with the HIM!!

Tonight is my first ride wearing a trisuit I recently bought.  I have a sprint on 8/3 that I'm planning to wear it in if the comfort is there...

However for the 70.3 I'll have to be really sure as the shoulders seem to fit quite snug... Testing it tonight should answer a few questions..

Regardless of tri shorts or tri suit, I've made up my mind not to mess with changing to run shorts in T2... Nothing against the posts advocating the change, I just think it's one less thing to worry about plus the comfort of running in tri shorts vs. running shorts that get soaked with sweat clarified my decision...

2013-07-23 9:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by TriMike I just think it's one less thing to worry about plus the comfort of running in tri shorts vs. running shorts that get soaked with sweat clarified my decision...

This is why I'll never do the run portion of a tri in running shorts.  You'll be running in the heat of the day and possibly dumping water over yourself.  When running shorts get soaked, they don't really work well for me.  Maybe if I wore those really high cut running shorts it wouldn't be so bad...but nobody wants to see that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shorts or run shorts in HIM? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

have you done an iron distance in Hammer nutrition tri shorts or bike shorts

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 1578 Posts: 2

2012-05-24 1:18 AM mtnbkr

Tri Shorts or Riding Shorts for IM

Started by jletterhos
Views: 4262 Posts: 21

2012-05-26 9:10 AM EKH

Desoto 400 mile bike shorts as tri shorts?

Started by irondreams
Views: 6336 Posts: 13

2009-09-01 12:42 PM KathyG

Bike shorts or tri shorts for an IM Pages: 1 2

Started by jccbulldog
Views: 4726 Posts: 27

2008-03-11 4:16 PM atl_runner

Bike shorts or tri shorts for IM

Started by zaboo
Views: 1415 Posts: 10

2006-09-01 9:49 AM swbkrun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
comments : 0
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : May 30, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day butterflies, long Ironman training bricks, training in the heat, hydration, going hard in a short race, and hammering the swim.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle