General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing to sell Aluminum Cervelo P3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-12 3:49 PM

Subject: Preparing to sell Aluminum Cervelo P3
Ok I am growing out of my bike and contemplating a new bike. I don't know what my current bike is worth and I am hoping you the friendly people of this site can help me with some questions.

First is size; when it fit me well I was 5'9" now I'm 5'11". A few measurements are 10 inches across the top bar and about 11 from the stem to the pedals. (Sorry I couldn't find a metric tape). Does any one know what size this is or where to find old geometry charts.

Next is selling, part 1 what condition part 2 how much is fair?
Part 1. It has mostly shimamo ultegra parts the notiable exceptions being a durace 56 chain ring, SRAM front derailure, and a fízik arione tri saddle. The frame is worn and has what I think is a lot of chipped patches and my parents think looks fine. Would investing the money to repaint value that would be lost equivalent or multiplied when sold? People like shiny things far better than chipped and old looking, is it enough?

Part 2
I've been advised to sell the HED 3 wheels separately to get more for them; is this sound advice?
I've seen on eBay aluminum P3 bikes sell for $100 and I've seen them go for $2000.
If this bike was exactly what you were looking for and your size what would you consider a fair price?

I know not every one can answer all of my questions but maybe you have experience selling an older bike or you are the person looking for this bike, your help is appreciated.

2013-07-12 6:10 PM
in reply to: Carlbach

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Preparing to sell Aluminum Cervelo P3
The aluminum P3 still is a great bike. But it's getting to be quite, quite old by now. I assume that all components are original to the bike? If yes, then they will have quite a bit of wear and tear over the years. In the condition you describe it, I would expect to get around $500-800 for the bike (and it really all comes down to how well maintain it is).

I would agree that selling the wheel may be a good idea.

Regarding painting the bike... if you're going to pay for it, forget it, definitely not cost effective.

Those measurements doesn't sound correct at all... measure from center of bottom bracket to the intersection of the seat tube and top tube. Then measure from that intersection to the head tube. Inches won't be good enough... there's close to two bike size denominations difference between one inch...
2013-07-12 6:35 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Aww man, if it's a 51 I'm mega tempted...

Are the wheels 650c or 700c?

Generally selling the wheels with the bike isn't going to net you as much as selling them separate. Same with the components... you can usually sell the frame for as much as you can sell a whole bike a lot of times.

You can shoot an email to the guys at Cervelo, they can probably ID the size pretty quick (or give you the exact spots to measure for their chart)

Also, before you sell, consider that there aren't just a TON of bikes out there that are as slick in the wind as the old P3.
2013-07-14 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4802784

On the size I don't know what I screwed up; however I have been able to measure the head tube with a metric ruler at 12 cm matching the 51 P3Aluminum on 650cc size chart sent to me.

Yes most of the components are the same I bought it used with with the exception of the brand new front derailer.

I also would love to stay on the bike but am concerned about being the giant on the mini bike. I'm 5'11" likly growing to 6'1". To me investing in new aero bars is not worth the investment to still have a so so fit. Also considering that TriTown(my bike shop) is suggesting 56 Felt or Cervelo plus or minus a size that appears to be a big change. So I think I'm considering a newer P3 or a Felt DA or B12 in the 3k range.
2013-07-15 4:44 AM
in reply to: Carlbach

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Cervelo P3/P4 and the Felt DA in size 56 are very close, but the B-series has a different geometry. What really worries me is the suggestion of 56 plus minus one size... it's either the right fit or it's not, plus minus one size for a given bike won't work.

Knowing that you're still growing, if they would've said 56 P3 or DA, but you're close to the 58, so giving that you are moving towards that anyways, let's go to the 58, that would make sense...

How did they get to the specific size for the P3/DA to start with? Did you have a bike fit? If not, then it's a pure guess.... maybe a good one, maybe not, but still only a guess...
2013-07-17 12:04 AM
in reply to: #4803670

About the size ambiguity as I said I'm still in the beginning stages of preparing for a new bike. I had my current bike fitted at TriTown and know the mechanic well. He based the initial size guesstimate off what he already knows about me. Presuming I decide to take the plunge ill be taking test rides and getting a close look at what size the 56 is the ballpark to begin looking at.

However here is a conundrum I haven't understood yet;
A friend about my size (slightly taller) similar proportioned told me they felt cramped on the 56 but that the 58 was too big. They suggested the 56 because of some issue with riding long distances on a bike a little on the large side. Any idea how the whole aggressive stance works and why I might not want the 58. If the two frames fit me equally well or bad?

2013-07-17 5:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You can't go by your friends fit... even if you would be identical height. Take a look at the parameters that goes into a bike fit and it makes perfect sense why...

Interview, the fitter and the rider talks about things like athletic background, current race/ride distances,/terrain, future goals, current/previous injuries/issues, etc. Basically everything the fitter needs to know to understand you.

The measurements, body measurements, upper body, lower body, arm span, leg length (and differences between L/R), flexibility, core strength

The fit, either on your existing bike (if being re-fitted) or on a fit bike. The fitter will start off from either the existing fit parameters or set up approximate parameters based on the initial information gathered. Then using either the knowledge and the human eye, or in these days more commonly, some of of motion capture video equipment, the fitter will look for body movement (from side, back and front) and listen to the riders input until a perfect fit for YOU is achieved.

It's very unlikely that you and your friend will have identical body measurements even if you are the same height, and even more unlikely that you have the same flexibility, core strength, body discrepancies, athletic/injury/issues background, etc.

There's always the possibility that you are indeed in between two sizes... especially since you are still growing, going one size larger might be the suggestion of the fitter as long as it is reasonable, knowing that in a year or two it will be perfect. It could also be that the fitter doesn't think the 58 would work, so even though you will be taller in a year or two, you wouldn't be able to reasonably ride the larger frame now. I would highly recommend getting properly fitted and not buying based on (albeit slightly qualified, but far from perfect) input from the fitter of your old fit...

Edited by audiojan 2013-07-17 5:56 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing to sell Aluminum Cervelo P3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2010 Cervelo P3 or 2012 Cervelo P2

Started by chinphat
Views: 3852 Posts: 6

2012-12-26 7:13 AM audiojan

Cervelo P3 or Felt B2?

Started by gymgirlx
Views: 2384 Posts: 11

2009-07-22 8:11 PM gymgirlx

Cervelo P3 Dura Ace

Started by jdorsh
Views: 870 Posts: 1

2009-04-25 9:45 AM jdorsh

Cervelo P3 - Fake?

Started by racalvert
Views: 9325 Posts: 7

2008-10-08 8:54 PM racalvert

Attention Cervelo P2C and P3 owners

Started by MikeJ
Views: 1211 Posts: 5

2007-10-06 6:45 AM AirWreck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : June 4, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
One year ago I weighed 238 lbs. and got winded walking up one flight of stairs - literally. I ran across a brochure for a triathlon...hmm. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was intrigued.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 0
I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.