Race Texas
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 55s
Overall Rank = 231/487
Age Group = F 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Hubby and I drove to College Station on Saturday and checked into our hotel, and we got an upgrade to a room with a Jacuzzi! Then we drove and found one of the sponsors, Brazos Running Company and I was finally able to find some Margarita Shot Bloks. Got some lunch and headed over to the campus for packet pick up. They had a Newton display with a special of $20 off, and since I was needing a new pair, I got the newest model of Gravity and was very glad to be able to try them on since they have changed their sizing rules since I've been wearing the bright orange ones... I'm in the 10% that didn't go down a half size, go figure! Then we drove the bike route which looked to be very flat and fast other than a long, slight incline on the back half of the loop. From there we went and visited the George Bush Presidential Library, the first I've ever visited and it was really interesting. Worth the visit. We drove back to the room and got all our stickers and bib stuff figured out and then went out to eat, found an Outback just down the street and since we don't have one at home, I LOVE to eat at Outback when we have the chance. Got back to the room fairly early, and filled up the Jacuzzi tub and watched the Tour de France until I couldn't take the heat anymore. We both slept like crap! The bed felt like it had giant hole where your butt lies on the bed, covered by a thick memory foam topper, just couldn't get comfortable, so dozed on and off all night and hubby says he didn't sleep at all! Got up at 5 a.m., had the usual cup of coffee and oatmeal, loaded up the truck and headed over to the race. Got everything set up pretty quickly and scoped out the ins and outs and then headed up to the pool. This was hubby's first tri, and I think he was pretty nervous.
Event warmup:

Used the bathroom twice, and thankfully it WAS a bathroom and not a portapottie. Jumped in the pool and swam 200 as a warm up, was glad I did, the Natatorium was quite warm, so the swim cooled me down. We got the pre-race spiel and then started lining up for the swim, we were supposed to line up by our bib numbers which correlated to our swim seed times. Ate a Gu about a half an hour before I got to the start.
Swim
  • 08m 6s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a horrible start! Stepped up to the timing mat, heard it beep and was told to go, and I normally slip in and then push off the wall, but this pool was quite a bit higher from the deck to the water and I ended up kind of falling face first into the pool, felt like an idiot and of course my goggles filled up with water. Took a few strokes and realized I did not want to swim the entire swim with water in my goggles (one was TOTALLY full!), so I quickly rolled on my back and got them right and started swimming. We had noticed while we were waiting that they were not strictly going by bib numbers, and some people were obviously clinically insane when they posted their swim seed times! I passed 3-5 people and could have passed one more in the last half-length, but decided it wasn't worth the extra effort and I figured we'd get to the ladder at the same time and I would have let her exit first anyway, so I just followed. Probably lost a couple or seconds actually touching the last wall rather than just going to the ladder, but whatever, the swim was done! Long run from the Natatorium to T1, but they had carpet laid down the whole way, so I was able to run it.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the water the way I normally do and push off! Lost a bunch of time getting the goggles fixed... I had hoped to come in around 7:20ish, so I was a little disappointed in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I had an average racking spot in transition, racks were assigned by bib numbers. Easy to find, but further away from the bike in/out than I'd like to be. I have new bike shoes, not quite so easy to get into than my last pair, so I went ahead and sat on the ground to get them on, threw on sunglasses and helmet and took off.

Practice some transitions! I was 3/9 AG, do NOT pass up free speed, work that transition, baby!
Bike
  • 36m 45s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really happy with this leg! I rode pretty hard and passed a lot of people. Played leap frog a bit with one girl, but ended up coming in before her. Nice course, very smooth, quite a few corners and I was able to take most of them in aero and pedaling! I changed up my nutrition a bit and luckily it worked. Since I had my Gu before the swim early, I had a dose of Shot Bloks as soon as I got settled on the bike, within the first mile. Took 2 more with about 2 miles to go, and eased back a bit on my pace to give the legs a little break before hitting T2, but stepped it up a couple of times to pass a few more people.

Maybe have pushed just a teeny bit harder so I would have hit 20 mph!
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

This is normally a pretty quick transition for me, had someone in front of me so really couldn't run the bike in. I had new running shoes, so went ahead and sat on the ground again to get them on. I'm sure that cost me time. 6/9 AG, too slow!

Umm, yeah, practice transitions!!
Run
  • 35m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I always dread the run, always. My legs felt pretty good though! Started flat, then down a cement roadway that went under a road, and then back up. I was breathing hard, so I started a run/walk thing.... walk for a count of 30 seconds, then run as far as I could before needing the break again. It was working pretty well, felt like I was running faster each time I started after the walk break. Finally with around 3/4 mile to go I found my rhythm and was able to run to the finish strong!

This is the one leg that I feel I haven't gained back what I lost by missing 6 weeks of training this year. But, for what I've been running in training, even with the walking it was not that bad of a run for me....
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and sat down for a few minutes, then tried to get back to transition to pick up my phone to take some pictures of Ron, but they wouldn't let me back in, oh well. Walked over to the place where the 2nd loop of the bike began and watched hubby come by, then walked back up towards the finish and ended up sitting and talking to the two guys that were in line in front of me for the swim. Drank a Gatorade, and finally saw Ron start the run. Once transition opened I got my stuff all packed up and got my phone and then waited at the finish line so I could take his picture as he came across. We took all our stuff to the truck and waited for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Walking during the run, and slow transitions... performing a little faster on either of those and I could have had 1st place AG!! I was 2 minutes behind! But I am happy with my performance coming back from 6 weeks of no training!

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race, the volunteers were super! I liked the course, and would definitely like to do it again! Plus we got 2 shirts!! A tech shirt AND a cotton shirt, awesome!!! And my hubby is now officially a triathlete! And he liked it!

Last updated: 2013-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:06 | 400 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 106/487
Performance: Good
1:51 / 100 YARD pace
Suit: Once piece 2XU
Course: Pool swim, 50 meters, snake style, but one way traffic per lane.
Start type: Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:45 | 12 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 137/487
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 Loops, basically a square.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:52 | 03.1 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 375/487
Performance: Average
Course: Paved run, down and up under a roadway, into and around Kyle Field, out and around campus, back through Kyle Field, down and up to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: TRI Aggieland Sprint Triathlon

2013-07-15 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4804121

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TRI Aggieland Sprint Triathlon
Nice job Hilde!! You kicked A** on the bike. Nice effort.
2013-07-15 11:31 AM
in reply to: joes

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Awesome race!!! Way to BEAST it!! 
2013-07-15 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Great job Hilde! to both you and your husband! 

2013-07-15 6:57 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Great race report and you were totally BEASTLY!! You've had SO many challenges thrown at you this season and I'm so proud of how you've risen above it and KICKED A$$!! Congrats to your hubby too. You are now officiallly a family of triathletes! ROCK ON HILDE!
2013-07-15 10:22 PM
in reply to: shadow67

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Great race report. Killer bike speeds. I'm definitely buying a tri bike in the near future.

2013-07-19 8:04 PM

User image

New user
KY
I FINALLY got a chance to read your race report! Love reading your race reports. They are always so vivid, with both humor and excitement! Anyway, wow! That bike was simply awesome! Your entire race was excellent. Can't beat that for your comeback race! The jacuzzi room sounded like a nice bonus, too. That is so cool that your hubby completed his first tri. Congrats to both of you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRI Aggieland Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TRI Aggieland

Started by TrichaseTri
Views: 700 Posts: 1

2012-08-16 8:54 AM TrichaseTri

TRI Aggieland

Started by dsand97
Views: 1034 Posts: 1

2012-07-18 3:23 PM dsand97

TRI Aggieland

Started by praiseguitar
Views: 758 Posts: 1

2012-07-17 8:29 AM praiseguitar

TRI Aggieland

Started by coors1
Views: 1339 Posts: 3

2012-07-18 11:11 PM coors1

TRI Aggieland

Started by uhcoog
Views: 1348 Posts: 6

2012-07-16 4:14 PM jon-m
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.