United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 27m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45, and drove to Afton State Park while eating a pb&j. arrived right before the start of the 50k at about 6:30am. Picked up my bib and changed at my car. Walked to start about 5 min before the announcements began. It was totally laid back and relaxed.
Event warmup:

none.
Run
  • 3h 27m 55s
  • 25 kms
  • 08m 18s  min/km
Comments:

Well, for my first long-ish trail race ever, I think this went pretty good. I ran down all of the hills, walked up all the hills, stopped for a few minutes at every aid station for oranges, gu and to refill my handheld water bottle. It was HOT out. the woods felt nice because we were out of the sun, but there was not breeze, then open areas felt good because of the breeze, but the sun was HOT. I was sooo glad I brought my handheld with and I almost finished 26 oz between eachaid station. I ran with a new friend, Ron for about 6 miles and they went by really fast, but then my HR was just soo high and I had to slow down. He went on ahead and ended up finishing about 20 min infront of me. Mile 11-13 were mentally tough and freaking hilly! Then right after the last aid station, about 3 miles from the finish, we got into a really fun single track through the woods and i had to concentrate so my mood improved. I finished hard, but from about mile 10 on i was pretty nauseous and felt crappy for about 10 min after i finished. This was a super spur of the moment race for me and a great training day. A good mental and physical effort for Louisville!!
What would you do differently?:

Train for a trail race, train for HILLS!! I definitely will be back next year for the 25K with a goal of improving my time. I think if I trained for this race specifically I could finish in under 3 hours. but overall it was a great IMKY training day. As I write this on monday though, my quads are still super sore from all the steep downhills!!
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and watermellon then headed home. Ron greated me at the finish, but i felt so crappy that I just kinda walked off. I looked for him once I felt better, but he had already gone. I felt bad for blowing him off, but I didn't want to puke in the middle of all those people if it was going to happen! (it didn't...)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training on such hilly terrain. the HEAT!! it was 88 degrees and humid when i finished!! That's pretty much my first hot run of the year because of our crappy spring!

Event comments:

Awesome race by rocksteady. I will DEFINITELY be back and will invite all my friends!! What a great entry into trail racing for me!! yay!!!

Last updated: 2013-07-08 12:00 AM
Running
03:27:55 | 25 kms | 08m 18s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Ave HR: 168 Max HR 185
Course: The Afton Trail Run 25KM Trail Race, is one of the most challenging and beautiful trail races anywhere. The race was established in 1994 and is now one of the oldest, largest and most competitive trail races in the country – garnering national attention and attracting runners from all over the United States and beyond. Runners World says that Afton State Park has some of the most beautiful running trails in the country and once you’ve run we think you will agree. Afton State Park is located within the beautiful St. Croix River valley. The start of the race is near the Visitors Center, in Afton State Park. It is a hilly, 25K loop winding through the park’s trail system. For the most part, the trail is on well-established footing through the woodlands and prairie. There are long climbs, rising from the river bottom, up rocky ravines, and down again
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: Afton Trail Run 25K

2013-07-15 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4804309

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: RE: Afton Trail Run 25K
Good job out there, it was a tough hot day on a very tough course. And you're right, John and RockSteady put on great races. Very well organized, great aid stations/buffets, perfectly marked course and excellent food and drinks at the end.

Next year if you're into the trail racing you should come up to the Superior Trail 25/50k at Lutsen in May. Even tougher course but 10x more scenic and fun!
2013-07-15 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4804309

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Afton Trail Run 25K
Nice race, Tracy!!  Heat can be a real drainer, way to not let it get you down.  Congrats!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Afton Trail Run 25K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Afton Trail Race (25k)

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 1399 Posts: 2

2013-07-07 6:27 PM BikerGrrrl

Do-Wacka-Do Trail Runs 25K & 50K

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 664 Posts: 1

2010-09-26 6:08 PM Pilgrim

Swamp Stomper 25K/50K Trail Run

Started by mhapner
Views: 1896 Posts: 1

2009-01-26 4:28 PM mhapner

Angel Island Trail Run - Fall - 25K

Started by poweredbyfear
Views: 806 Posts: 1

2007-10-22 11:51 PM poweredbyfear

Greenland 25K Trail Run

Started by COgirl
Views: 1592 Posts: 18

2005-04-23 11:10 PM zia_cyclist
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix
date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.