World Triathlon Corporation
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 04m 36s
Overall Rank = 1456/1540
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 84/
Pre-race routine:

So this race was my Ironman comeback tour. I started doing triathlons in 2004 and ended that streak in 2008 with a DNF at Ironman CDA. I was devastated and a series of life events kept me depressed and unmotivated. Gaining 80 pounds didn't help. But in December of 2012 I signed up for 70.3 at Muncie determined to get my triathlon mojo back. At that time I hadn't done an Olympic tri in like four years. I had done a sprint tri in 2011 but that didn't really count. I was a fool to sign up but I did. Grabbed a 1/2 IM plan off BT and got to work. Since that time I've lost 70 pounds and gained more knowledge about tri training. Muncie was my first stop on the Ironman comeback tour and I couldn't wait to test my Iron engine. Drove from Chicago to Indiana. Ate a great pre-race meal on Thursday - two days before the race, chicken breast, corn, salad without the salad, just sunflower seeds, beets, olives, a bit of ranch and pickles. Meant to eat potatoes but forgot. My coach told me to carb load on Thursday night Friday so that's what I did. Got to Muncie late and went to bed. Woke in the middle of night with cramps in my left quad. I cried. I couldn't believe it. I've always had issues with cramping. But thought I had it under controlled. And two days before the race I woke up with cramps. The day before was even worse as I a reoccurring pain I had in my ankle flared up. It's as if my body was conspiring against me. So I RICE'd the ankle, stretched the cramps and prayed for the kinks to get worked out. Woke up on Friday and drove to the race site. Which was about 30 min away and so glad I did. I would have totally gotten lost on race day. Did a 15-min swim sans wet suit, 15-min bike, and 15-min run. Ankle issues disappeared. I only had a Nutri-grain bar before the pre-race workout and I was starving but my bike seat didn't feel right, way too high and I needed it adjusted pronto. So hoofed it over to the race expo, registered went to the pre-race meeting, bought a stupid gadget I didn't need and then found a bike shop. They readjusted my seat but it's still not perfect. Saving up for a scientific bike fit soon. Anyway, bike done went to eat - roasted chicken, cheese grits. Left the beans untouched. But added a nutrition ingredient - green tea. Oh man, I drank so much green tea it was crazy. I have literally had to pea like clock work since the race. Which is awesome because I NEVER pee at races which makes me think I've been doing races dehydrated. Went home set alarm, HR zones and went to bed. Woke up at 4 a.m. Donned the racing outfit, wasn't hungry but forced myself to eat yogurt and grabbed a banana.
Event warmup:

Got there set up my bike. Totally forgot my camel back walked back tot he car to get that. Got air in tires pee'd. Took FB photos, then had to pee again. This was before transition closed. Grabbed my wetsuit and made it out of transition in nick of time. Went down to the water, listened to national anthem and could feel the butterflies. I feel them right now writing this. I've done three 1/2 Ironman's but let's face it I survived them. I didn't compete in them. Two took me nine hours. I didn't know if I was really ready for this race. But my girls - my Tri Divas, a group of girls new to tri that I'm mentoring here in Chicago - told me on the pre-race call to Love, Embrace, Enjoy and Relax and of course to Pimp that Race course and well. That's what I kept saying even as I was getting anxious. Love. Embrace. Enjoy. Relax. Pimp. Yep that was me all day long.
Swim
  • 49m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

This really sucked. OMG. Swimming was the reason I got into triathlon. I've been swimming all my life. Like really swimming and not pretend swimming. But for some reason this OW swim gave me the flux. I looked at the swim course before the race and my first thought was, "OMG that's so far..." I can swim 2100 m in my sleep. Without blinking but for some reason on that day it seemed impossible. As soon as I got in the water I knew I was trouble. My breathing was labored I wasn't sighting and I was getting freaked out by all the touching and grabbing. I always try to swim high and outside and away from the buoys. The buoys were on our right and I breathe on my left so that didn't help. I really couldn't see where I was going and I had to bob my head up more than necessary. This is a classic rookie mistake. I stopped every time I needed to sight. Burns valuable time. Finally I just said, "F*uck it," and buried my head in the water. I didn't care where I ended up I had to get into a rhythm or my race was going to be over then and there. Once I did that I caught my breathe and just kept swimming. Finally I got to the first Red turn buoy. But by that time the men's wave behind me and overtaken my wave and well the jostling began again. Hit in the head, face, grabbed on the legs. Panic set in and I couldn't swim for nothing. I saw a kayak out of the corner of my left eye. There was a guy holding on to it adjusting his goggles. The woman looked out to me and yelled, "Hey are you okay?"
"No," I moaned and seriously was that a freakin' frog in my throat. What the hell, are you crying? There's no crying in 1/2 Ironman.
"C'mon on over," the guy shouted. "Seriously, just come on over there's no shame in that."
I looked at him. And darted over to the kayak. I've never stopped in a triathlon swim. NEVER, EVER! It's the only one of the three sports I have confidence in. But I've been hiding a secret. I am not impervious to the fear of water. Because I swim I know how dangerous she can be and all my thoughts of fear flooded in that moment and that guy with the red cap whoever you are was my savior. Because he took the shame I felt right away. He made it OK to ask for help, to stop and regroup to admit you can't do it all at once all the time. And that's a gift from the gods. For if there's nothing else I've learned this Ironman comeback tour is that no one does Ironman alone.
So I swam over to the kayak, red-cap guy smiled and he was off. I just calmed my breathing.
"Love, Enjoy, Embrace, Relax. Pimp."
I kept thinking about all the ladies who were cheering for me, who were now following me online. I can't let this race end here.
Woman in the kayak says, "You're doing fine. Look you're almost to the turn around."
"Sorry," I moaned. "I just kept getting hit and I couldn't see and it's tough."
"Sorry, girl you're amazing. I wouldn't swim this far. Especially with all those people hitting you. I'd get annoyed. I'd want to drown them."
I laughed. Panic began to subside.
"I'm sorry I just had to stop."
"No problem."
"What's your name?"
"Mary Beth."
"Thank you Mary Beth."
"No problem. That's what I'm here for. You got this. Look you're almost at the turn around. You can head home them. You're amazing."
"Ok, I said. I'm ready."
And I began to swim again. In my mind I was thinking, forget sighting. No more stopping just get this damn thing over with. Get the hell out of this water.
So I used the boats to my left to sight. I swam from kayak, to pontoon to whatever boat was along the course and they were my buoys. And if someone touched me I just swam faster. I put my head down and went for it..
Swam from kayak to kayak, breathed out. 3-stroke breaths, lean in and did the damn thing. Saw sand popped up and started running through the arch. Unofficially my time was 44 minutes but we had like 1/2 mile to run up the hill and I stopped for the wetsuit strippers and then it was on to the bike.

What would you do differently?:

Not psych myself out. Get used to getting touched in the swim. I need to get over that fear. Keep going no matter what.
Transition 1
  • 07m 8s
Comments:

This took long mostly because I was making sure I had the right nutrition and decided to eat a Luna bar before getting on the bike. I need to get my T1 down to 4 min. I'll work on that.

Organize better? Who the hell knows. I'm so scatterbrained after getting out of the water I didn't even wear socks.
Bike
  • 3h 32m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved this bike. I mean I really felt good and NO CRAMPS. Didn't exert too much effort to average a pace I could only dream of months ago. I mean my first ride in April I damn near cried it was so hard. This was easy. And it should have been. I could have pushed it a bit more to eek out a 17 mph pace but I remember owner of Well-Fit saying before my race "If it's hard make it easy." And that's what I did. When it started to get hard I made it easy, changed position, changed cadence, and lastly changed gear. I stayed in 3rd gear the entire ride and dropped to 2nd on the last hill. I was 54 miles into a 56 mile ride. Who cares if I hammered that last hill? I'm biking to run man forget the dumb stuff! Even still I past a lot of folks who just looked miserable. Which tells me I'm on the right track for my nutrition. Now I've got to trust my legs more. Push that mph goal up to 17 mph in Cozumel.

Eat my Luna bar during the ride. I was dragging a bit at the end and the gels weren't doing it for me. I didn't like the taste. I think a different bit of food would have served me well. Will tweak the plan. I need bigger pockets on my tri suit! LOL!
Transition 2
  • 05m 43s
Comments:

This was better but still too long. I have no idea what i'm doing in transitions. I need to get more organized here.

Be more systematic.
Run
  • 3h 29m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, so by the time I got to the run the sun was high and it was getting toasty. I had a 6/1 run/walk plan and I was going to stick to it no matter what. But as I got out on the run I discovered I had my bike gloves WTH?? and no nutrition. I had planned to don some Leg Cramp prevention stuff and salt tabs. But I forgot BOTH! I ate some Leg Cramp stuff I think in the T2 but I can't remember. So the whole first mile I'm thinking, "Holy crap, I'm going to cramp and this run is going to be the death of me."
So I didn't push this run AT ALL. I did the 6/1 but I was so afraid of cramping and having nothing to counter act that, that I didn't run my normal pace. By this time I was sweating like a crazy person and all I could do was remember cramping at my 10-miler and at my 1/2 marathon. I was disgusted. So I turned my focus outward. I started looking at runners on their 10, 11 mile and began cheering them on.
"Looking good 1022, keep those feet moving."
"Alright 838... can't stop won't stop."
"Yeah, 1222, I get what you throwing down. Ain't nuthin' to it but to do it."
And I literally did that for 11 miles, when I passed people coming from either direction I just gave them a shout out. All the while I kept up my 6/1.
Then I started noticing that people who passed me going north, i was now passing going north after the turn around.
It was crazy. People who were like 3 miles ahead of me I was passing them on the course. THAT NEVER FREAKIN' HAPPENS.
I stopped at aid stations like a homeless person at Country Kitchen, drowning myself in Powerade, water, and bananas. I was so afraid of cramping. But I was getting a bit bloated and I had to pee like a race horse. It was hilarious. But I was determined to to cramp.
When I got to the turn around my smile was genuine and I knew I was going to make it. But the hills, man the hills got to me and soon my 6/1 became 5/1 and 4/1. But after a fuel stop i went back up to 6/1 at mile 10 and kept that pace for the rest of the race. By mile 11 I had caught up with the first-timer who started the run race with me but had gotten ahead of me(he didn't spend nearly as much time pee'ing and at the aid stations as I did) and my competitive streak dropped in and I put it into gear. No more aid stops to worry about I just started turning those feet over, passed him and and ran up that last hill like I had won the lottery. LOVE, EMBRACE, ENJOY, RELAX. PIMP. That's what I was saying all up that last freakin' hill. My legs wanted to cramp but I willed them into silence.
Saw the blue Ironman finish shoot and crossed over into 1/2 Ironman glory. Woo hoo. I cried but this time it was tears of joy.

Trust my fuel plan. Push harder. Deal with cramps when they happen not when they don't.
Post race
Warm down:

Changed clothes. Cried.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fears.

Event comments:

Loved this race. Loved Muncie. Loved Ironman. I had a GREAT time and a fantastic race. I will be back next year no doubt. One of my favs.

Last updated: 2013-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:57 | 2112 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1540
Performance: Below average
Suit: Promotion
Course: Straight square. Out, turn and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:08
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:32:02 | 56 miles | 15.81 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Course is awesome with a few crappy road parts but a major stretched on a closed state highway. Yahoo. But the wind, OMG the wind made a fast course a bit of a challenge but I still dominated without raising my heart rate. This bike was all about nutrition plan and preventing cramps and steady effort. After a HORRIBLE swim I NAILED my bike. I followed my nutrition plan, kept my cadence steady and didn't surge at all on hills or whatever. Steady pedal stroke up hills down hills didn't matter. I really just kept pedaling. Hit mile 20 and my bike was dragging ass. Got to a no pass zone and hoofed it and then stopped. Turns out my brake pad was rubbing against my wheel for like 10 miles. So this ride could have been faster. LOL. This was good training for Cozumel because it was flat and windy. OMG. The wind was terrible. But all my rides have been windy this year and I just got in aero and pumped my legs like crazy. Never stopping, This BIKE WAS AWESOME. SERIOUSLY. I enjoyed all 56 miles of it. I got a bit draggy at the end - that 1 mile climb didn't help but passed a lot of folks and felt good going into the run. Ran out of liquid nutrition at mile 50 and drank water and gels for the rest. Ate turkey for protein and forgot to finish off another Luna bar.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:29:00 | 13.1 miles | 15m 57s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: HOT, HILLY, NO SHADE Devil's playground
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

2013-07-15 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4804413

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie
Great race report. Had a little bit of everything. Congrats on the 1/2 iron and good luck going forward
2013-07-15 3:04 PM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Master
Chicago
Thanks!
2013-07-15 3:44 PM

User image

Great Job O!  Way to adapt and finish strong.
2013-07-15 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Wow, quite a race report! Your honesty is admirable~ welcome back to the Ironman world!
2013-07-16 9:30 AM
in reply to: cvette4

User image

Master
Chicago
Thanks man! It's so good to be back to Tri's and BT!

2013-07-16 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Well done Ovetta!!! COntgratualtions and welcome home
2013-07-16 6:38 PM
in reply to: infosteward

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Congrats and welcome back to the triathlon community!  It sounds like you had some serious challenges during that swim but you didn't allow them to ge into your head.  You did the right thing going to the kayaks because the alternative to taking a few minute break at a kayak could be taking a dirt nap for a long time.  I for one am glad you didn't allow your pride to overtake your smarts.

And you weren't the only one to leave your run nutrition in the transition area.  I was about 1/4 mile into the run when I realized I didn't have my flask of gel to feed from. 

Good job Saturday and don't give up on your dreams!

2013-07-18 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice comeback and don't stress about taking a breather on the kayak! Your experience is exactly why WTC started a new swim format this year and implemented the "Lilly pad" concept. We all have challenges; i for one struggled this year at Muncie on the run.

Good job and hope you keep the comeback tour alive!
2013-07-23 8:41 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Master
Chicago
Hey sweetie. It's good to be back. And I'm brining friends!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muncie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by miyutris
Views: 2443 Posts: 7

2011-07-10 7:48 PM wallico

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by beadams
Views: 2128 Posts: 3

2011-07-10 7:41 PM Oldteen

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by marathongirl11
Views: 2442 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 4:41 PM jillian_o

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by
Views: 1058 Posts: 1

2011-07-10 8:18 AM

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by brendon_moody
Views: 2875 Posts: 7

2013-01-05 7:24 PM MFConlon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.