General Discussion Race Reports! » Ocean Shores Big Weekend Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ocean Shores Big Weekend Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ocean Shores, Washington
United States
TriFREAKS, Inc.
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 34m 10s
Overall Rank = 21/75
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

Had breakfast about 2 hours before the race (woke up at 4:50am.) Oatmeal, banana, and a clif bar in the comfort of my hotel bathroom! (I didn't want to wake up Robyn and the girls!) Most of the pre-race was to get my bike ready since I hadn't ridden it after getting it serviced (kind of risky!) Also, there was fresh-cut wet grass clippings everywhere, so I had to wipe my tires down out on the road after getting my transition area set up.
Event warmup:

Not much warm up to be had. I didn't feel rushed, but the pre-race meeting started a little sooner than I thought it would, so I couldn't get into the water before the race meeting to get some strokes in. I did a couple of short sprints and light stretching during the pre-race meeting. I almost forgot to take a gel before the race start, but barely got it in. I only got in the water about 3 minutes before start, so no real warm up, just trying to acclimate.
Swim
  • 45m 35s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, this was the only real discouraging part of the race, and even that was not too bad! I didn't feel that bad, but never really got my breathing as comfortable as I had been in training. Very little traffic the entire swim. I kept the out at 15X3 strokes of free and 14-16 strokes of side. Never really got relaxed during the side strokes. I tried to increase to 20X3 on the back portion, but must have been really inefficient on my stroke, because I lost about 3 minutes on the back! I was hoping to free all the way from the sprint buoy (400 meters) to home, but couldn't maintain that either.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get stronger and more efficient for the latter part of the swim. I had a little water in one of my goggles, which probably didn't help with my anxiety. I had my tri-top over my shoulders, which didn't feel too constrictive on my breathing, but I'll probably try around the waist next event.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

I felt really good about this transition, especially since I put on gloves, which probably added 20 seconds. Nothing stood out as perfect, just methodical and I didn't miss anything.

I won't likely be wearing gloves for too many rides. I could've got the cap and goggles off a little sooner, and also need to work on getting nutrition bag into the back pouch of my top.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great about the bike segment! I didn't push myself hard on the first lap. I always tried to keep a gear under what my normal ride would be. The wind picked up for the second half, getting very strong on the home stretch heading north! I ended up with an even split, which I felt really good about. Stayed on the bars almost the entire ride. No real aches or hurts. A very good bike.

I didn't finish my 24 oz water bottle, so I may have left a little too much hydration behind going into the run. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I was a little woozy getting the shoes on, but with getting the socks on in grassy conditions, I did a really good job of keeping my feet clean.

I went to my knees to get my socks on, which I'm not sure that I can go without. I'll probably get off the bike with my feet out of the shoes in the future.
Run
  • 1h 50m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a great run, and will always be memorable for the beach portion, and for wetting myself! I took off too fast, resulting in about 3 walking segments between miles 9 and 11.

Obviously listen to my body and use the toilet when I'm feeling the need! I just went out too fast. I'm glad I took the chance, because I felt really good for the first 6.5 miles. I'm not upset about the walking times, I'm glad I did before I crashed. I was able to still finish running and smiling!
Post race
Warm down:

A steady walk around the park while munching some snacks, and then a thorough stretch!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The second half of my swim, but strength and efficiency. I have probably peaked on my bike, not sure if I can get much more out of it with my current training strategy. I probably could've trimmed a minute or two off of the run if I hadn't pushed as hard between miles 4 and 8.

Event comments:

I had a great time. I wish the bike course would've had a couple hills, perhaps heading out of town instead of doing two laps would make it more interesting. Aid stations during the run needed a few more nutrition options as well. But overall, it was a great day and a great race!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:35 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/19
Overall: 0/75
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full length XTERRA
Course: An out and back on Duck Lake. Three turn-around buoys for the different distances on the way out, and then straight back to the dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:53:44 | 56 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/19
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: A horeshoe shape around the Ocean Shores peninsula out and back, and two laps. So I saw the same scenery 4 times!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:50:19 | 13.1 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/19
Performance: Average
Course: An out and back along Ocean Shores Blvd with a 1.5 mile stretch on the beach!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 11:56 AM

User image

New user

Longview
Subject: Ocean Shores Big Weekend Half Iron Triathlon

2013-07-16 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4804439

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ocean Shores Big Weekend Half Iron Triathlon
Great Job!

I just made my race report and saw yours.

I totally struggled with that wind on the bike, but just tried to keep my head down and stay calm.

It was a beautiful day in a beautiful place.

(and you aren't the only person who wet yourself...apparently when you go to the bathroom, you need to make sure you get it ALL out before you begin running again. Lesson learned)
2013-07-17 7:35 PM
in reply to: #4804439

User image

Subject: RE: Ocean Shores Big Weekend Half Iron Triathlon
If you started in the 2nd wave, did your official swim time match your independent timing?

My wife's coach had her timed about 5 minutes faster than her official result, and we're wondering if they based their timing on the 1st wave. Already emailed Accustat, but no reply yet...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ocean Shores Big Weekend Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ocean Shores Big Weekend Sprint Triathlon

Started by AH64
Views: 607 Posts: 1

2013-07-14 10:17 PM AH64

Ocean Shores Big Weekend Olympic Triathlon

Started by kamisa
Views: 765 Posts: 1

2012-08-04 7:14 PM kamisa

Ocean Shores Big Weekend Sprint Triathlon

Started by lisalarn
Views: 937 Posts: 1

2010-07-25 5:29 PM lisalarn

Ocean Shores Big Weekend Triathlon

Started by nevercheckout
Views: 1282 Posts: 6

2006-07-18 12:02 PM nevercheckout

Ocean Shores Big Weekend Triathlon

Started by adameldridge
Views: 1198 Posts: 1

2006-07-11 11:43 AM adameldridge
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : October 7, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 9, 2007
author : roach
I got battered by the ocean in the swim but I had made it out...bruised and bloodied, but not beaten.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle