United States
Musselman Triathlon
hot!F / 0C
Total Time = 6h 30m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Usual stuff - went to Tim Hortons to get coffee and a toasted bagel, stretched, took a hot shower, ate some food, and then packed my stuff to head to the State Park. And of course, listened to some good music on my way over - Allman Brothers, Rusted Root and the Grateful Dead.
Event warmup:

Not much. Did some stretching on site. Mostly tried not to panic. When I got to the park, had a sinking feeling today might not be my day, but oh well. My initial goal was to go sub-6hrs, but given the weather forecast, I wasn't feeling confident about that goal. I don't do well in heat. It was forecasted to be high 80s and sunny - a rough combination for me. In any case, felt pretty good about my training and equipment, so put my game face on and away I went.
Swim
  • 38m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall, the swim leg went fairly well for me. I'm generally ok swimming with a line in a pool, but sighting in OWS is not one of my strengths. I think I did better sighting this year - tried to adjust my stroke to look at the buoys more often and tried to follow others' feet. Beat last year's time by 8mins, so I can't complain, and I even passed some folks from the previous wave.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice. Don't have the time to do it per se, but I could use some more practice.
Transition 1
  • 04m 38s
Comments:

wow, spent too much time in T1. Walked in from swim to T1, honestly wasn't interested to run to save a minute or two, but prob could have done better. Reapplied sun screen, and walked to mount line. Overall, my T1 was pretty shoddy.

I need to be more motivated to get out of T1. It's not that I enjoy spending "wasted time" in T1, I just need to streamline things and run a bit. I figured I was going to run 13.1 miles a bit later, so I could walk T1. Probably should have at least jogged a bit and hustled more. Should have saved a few minutes. Lesson learned for next race.
Bike
  • 3h 17m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty good on the bike leg, at least for the first half. Legs felt strong, nutrition was going ok, and things seemed like they were going well. My bike computer was acting up, so I wasn't sure exactly how I was doing. The second half seemed to drag a bit. I definitely started feeling the impact of the sun and heat, and my legs started to wilt some. This was a bit surprising, since I tried to get in alot more TITS in my training leading upto the race. I thought I did ok in training, but somehow it didn't translate to race day.

The one revelation that I did learn about my biking is that I'm pretty good on hills - both up and down, but I need to work on flat biking. Sound a bit weird to say that, but somehow I can climb with relative ease and get into good aero tucks on the way down, but flat biking is something I need to work on. More TITS for me, and probably more quality TITS rather than spinning too easily. Perhaps I need to look into Sufferfest videos.

When I came back into transition, but back was aching some and my legs felt pretty drained. Not a good omen to start the run. I did see my family as I approached T2, so that was nice.

More quality TITS.
Transition 2
  • 06m 14s
Comments:

ok, here's where the rails started to fall off the tracks. Again walked to my rack. Changed shoes and socks fairly quickly, and put my running hat on. Reapplied sun screen. Picked up some Clif shots and started out. Oh darn, no race number, so back I went. Took too much time again, but I was really starting to feel the impact of the heat and sun. Saw my family on my way out - the smile on my daughter face was great!

A bit more organization would have helped.
Run
  • 2h 24m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this run was hard. The course is very fair, a few hills here and there, but my legs were tired and the sun and heat were kicking my backside. I just don't do well in heat - I'll own that. I was raised in snow country, so mid-90s and hot sun just don't work for me. I wilted, plain and simple. I had been taking electrolytes all day, so I think I had that covered. Water, ok. Nutrition, might have been a bit off my plan, but not much. It was just hot.

First two miles along the lake were rough as I tried to find my rhythm, though I did pass some folks who were dragging big time. Walked the hills and aid stations, and tried to run the balance. Overall, my plan went ok. Even felt decent by the big hill next to the corn field. Toward the end of the race, the aid station walks became longer, so I wasn't pleased by that, but I really didn't have a choice. When I started running each time, I think I had a decent pace, but the heat and sun were so strong by this point.

I really wanted to finish strong, so I ran/jogged the final two miles with the exception of the final aid station. I ended-up running/jogging most of those final two miles. Passed a number of folks who were just walking, so I was happy I had some left in the tank.

Found a running buddy for the final 2ish miles. He was a great guy and really helped me finish strong. He could have run by me with ease, but he slowed down and we ran to the finish together. Huge thanks goes to him - I really needed the assistance/motivation at that point. "Sprinted" the last 50ish yards and finished.

Not sure I could do much better in such heat and sunny conditions. Probably needed to do more mid-day training runs to try to get used to the heat, but those are hard to fit into my schedule with work and family commitments.

I'm sure part of my relative poor performance is to due to my training regimen (was it enough and of sufficient quality?). But the big story for me was the heat and sun. I just have a hard time doing anything in those conditions. I can run all day long in the 40s, 50s and 60s, but once it gets over the mid-70s, that's hot for me. And since it was low 90s yesterday, I was behind the 8 ball from the getgo. Oh well. No bid deal. Had a great day out.
Post race
Warm down:

Went right over the 'ice pools' - it felt so good. My knees and muscles felt ok, but I was just drained. Ate a bunch of watermelon and other foods (thanks Red Jacket Orchards and Wegmans!), got a massage and simply tried to recover some. My family was suffering with the heat and sun, so I didn't have a chance to really cool down as we had to get going.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First and foremost, heat and sun. Second, TITS.

Event comments:

The Musselman is a GREAT race. Superb organization, great volunteers, generous swag (this year's swag included a nice pair of sandals!), very supportive town, cost-effective accomodations/athlete's village at Hobart and William Smith college - overall, I can't say enough good things about the Musselman. Jeff Henderson, the RD, does a fantastic job. I highly recommend this race! If you want a non-WTC branded HIM, you definitely should consider the Musselman. Special thanks to all the sponsors too.

Hope to be back next year for my 4th Musselman.

On a more somber note, my heart reaches out to the family of Michael Coyle. I never met him, but what a horrible story. He was so young and according to the news reports, had a young family. This really put things in perspective. PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE - we all want to go home to our families at the end of the day and it's kinda scary that such an accident can happen and his two kids will never see him again. Again, please be careful, watch out for cars, and keep you head up while in aero.

And to the family of the young woman who fell at the aid station at mile 35ish. The newspapers said she was airlifted right to hospital - it sounds like it was pretty serious. I saw her on the ground, and being tended to by volunteers. Praying that she's ok.

Last updated: 2013-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:17:05 | 56 miles | 17.03 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:24:17 | 13.1 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 11:48 PM

Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2013-07-16 5:09 AM
in reply to: #4805206

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Nice work out there, the run course can be brutal on its own but the heat and humidity adds to the challenge!!

You are right about the race! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by jazz82482
Views: 7280 Posts: 46

2009-03-23 1:51 AM doctorbob18

Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Started by Jachlopecki
Views: 2036 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:56 PM Jachlopecki

Started by ds97a
Views: 2645 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:30 PM ds97a

Started by billsfan200474
Views: 2526 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:10 PM billsfan200474

Started by k_hase
Views: 2763 Posts: 7

2008-07-15 12:19 PM Mimir98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.