General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ride IM on a roadie and still have legs for marathon??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-15 11:49 PM

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Ride IM on a roadie and still have legs for marathon???
I am debating putting clip-on aero bars on my road bike for IMAZ, but will consequently get a bike fit tailored to the aero bars, thus making it less comfortable to ride in the drops. But I love riding in the drops and having the freedom the multiple hand positions of a road bike offer. My main concern in riding a road bike without aero bars and the more forward position is that it will trash my legs for the run. Has anyone done IM on a road bike without aero bars and if so, how were your legs for the run?

2013-07-16 12:12 AM
in reply to: wanderwoman11

Subject: RE: Ride IM on a roadie and still have legs for marathon???
I did a roadie sans aero bars for IMFL last year. My legs were, as expected, tired. But I can't say how tired they would have been if I had aero bars.

Last month, I put clip-ons (draft legal, ie. shorter than your usual aero bars) onto my roadie and like the extra position. I didn't adjust my fit. I just did a HIM with my new clip-ons and I think my legs were a bit fresher for the run leg all things being equal. Hard to say how much though. Though, I did notice that my back ached a bit more with the clips-ons, but that might have been because I only installed the clip-ons a few weeks ago. Overall, I think the clip-ons were a good addition.

My suggestion is to get some clip-ons (perhaps borrow a pair?) and try them. See if they work for you or not.
2013-07-16 7:23 AM

User image

Regular
I use clip ons on my road bike. My fit is for the bike without aero bars and I would say that that I used the aeros for about 30% of my IM. Wales, a very hilly course. The legs felt as good as you would expect after 112 miles on one of the toughest bike courses in the world.

Train for what you expect to expect on the day. If you think you will spend 90% of the course on the aeros then you should train on the aeros and have your bike fit to suit. How your legs feel after your ride will depend on the effort used on the ride.
2013-07-16 10:22 AM

Master
Northern IL
Either position will be fine towards the original question so long as it actually is a good fit for you. The trashing your legs is from riding too hard, not roadie vs aero. And by nature of it's size, an IM bike leg is quite likely to be hard for a lot of people even though it's at a rather low effort.
2013-07-19 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
MA

If your bike fits you, and your ride within yourself, take in proper hydration and nutrition, road or tri bike both will work. For most a tri bike you will go faster with the same effort due to improved aerodynamics. Faster bike split equals less energy used on the bike.

Neither will trash your legs more for an Marathon if bike fits you well and you train on it.

I feel more comfortable riding my tri bike than on my road or cross bike. If a tri bike fits you correctly, your skeleton supports your upper body.

2013-07-23 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Most ride IM France on a roadie.

2013-07-23 2:57 PM

User image

I've had two friends do IMAZ on road bikes.  They did fine.  They didn't break any records, but they finished well
2013-07-23 3:10 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Its all about pace. Get the free 5 fundamentals DVD from Endurance Nation. The race begins at MILE 18 on the run!
2013-07-23 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by wanderwoman11 I am debating putting clip-on aero bars on my road bike for IMAZ, but will consequently get a bike fit tailored to the aero bars, thus making it less comfortable to ride in the drops. But I love riding in the drops and having the freedom the multiple hand positions of a road bike offer. My main concern in riding a road bike without aero bars and the more forward position is that it will trash my legs for the run. Has anyone done IM on a road bike without aero bars and if so, how were your legs for the run?

The myth that a tri bike helps save your legs for the run is just that... a myth.  A tri bike is more advantageous for one reason: aerodynamics.

Getting a good fit is paramount.

2013-07-23 6:37 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Elite

I'm doing my first IM next March - on my roadie without aerobars I think.  I'm happy and comfortable that way.  I get no back issues.  I'm not fast it aint gonna make a jot of difference if I'm aerodynamic or not!

If I get the IM bug and love it so much I sign up for more then I'll invest.  But for now.  I'm rolling with the roadie.

2013-07-23 6:57 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I used my roadie on my last IM and I was trashed when I hit the run...

But that's because I was undertrained and had nothing to do with the bike.  The only reason I chose it, is because of my lack of training on my TT bike which would have me sitting up most of the time anyway.  If I'm going to sit up, might as well be a little more comfortable doing it.

If the bike is fitted for you, you will be fine.

As a side note, I know they are pros, but the TdF riders average almost 100 miles a day for 21 days (with two rest days).  I know they are not running after, but they save their legs enough to do another century the next day, and the next, and the next, then a time trial, then another century.  etc.

2013-07-23 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Originally posted by jobaxas

I'm not fast it aint gonna make a jot of difference if I'm aerodynamic or not!

Aerodynamics are still aerodynamics.  Fast or slow... it's still science.

2013-07-23 10:26 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Elite
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

BOOM!  And I know you're right but I am Mrs Super Wobbly on the bike - I'm not ready......but IM is 8 months away,still time to convince me. Embarassed

2013-07-23 11:16 PM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

BOOM!  And I know you're right but I am Mrs Super Wobbly on the bike - I'm not ready......but IM is 8 months away,still time to convince me. Embarassed

Plenty of time to practice. Smile

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ride IM on a roadie and still have legs for marathon??? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nauseous/vomiting during IM Bike leg

Started by KathyG
Views: 4388 Posts: 14

2009-09-20 6:10 AM brown_dog_us

RI 70.3 Bike leg "Pre-Ride" Pages: 1 2

Started by NavyTRIChief
Views: 2182 Posts: 26

2008-06-04 8:14 AM jamesG

Experienced IM Question---Bike Leg

Started by joerigg
Views: 1590 Posts: 20

2006-10-27 5:09 PM tjfry

Best first IM and longest training ride for IM

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 1503 Posts: 8

2006-07-12 10:47 PM westfried

Which IM leg distance would you want changed?

Started by jerry
Views: 1297 Posts: 12

2005-07-23 8:19 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : March 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
My issue started out as a foot pain, I kept running on it for four months while training for a marathon. Boston training is supposed to start now. What should I do?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?