General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Evergreen Lake International Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hudson, Illinois
United States
Tri-Mom Events, LLC
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 56s
Overall Rank = 16/275
Age Group = M_Elite
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

So there was a lot going into this race as I got ready for it. This would be my first time racing in the Elite category which I found out had a winning cash prize of $1,000. This was my first race coming off of my injury so I wasn’t sure how my leg would hold up. Both of these two situations had me both nervous and excited to see what I could do.
Heading into the race situations were not the most ideal for me. I would be traveling a lot the day before and wouldn’t have a lot of sleep the night before the race. Also, my Physical Therapist really worked me on Wednesday of race week so much so that I could hardly walk the two days leading up to the race. How wore I would be and how well rested I felt would be determined very quickly in the race.
Event warmup:

Race morning I made the 45 minute drive to the race site. I got my packet picked up and body marked to head into transition. The lady marking me wanted to put my age but I was determined not to since I was racing elite. I got an okay spot and started warming up. I could tell right away my legs were not 100% recovered. My run warm up was tight and my bike warm up was the same. I still felt confident that once I hit the start gun I would forget about it all and just go.
Swim
  • 25m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

The race would be wetsuit illegal which I was actually looking forward to. Being able to breathe and feel more comfortable in the water although not having the speed boost was what I was hoping for. I got to the swim start and tried to loosen up my arms without getting any warm up in. We were starting with a standing in water start with the water up to our waists. I seeded myself in the front row due to all of the swim training I put in this week about swim starts I felt I could get a good position.
When the start sound went off (seriously, it was like a police siren) I dove right in and swam strong. I felt great as I had open water and the front pack of us weren’t making too much contact fighting for position. We were all moving well and the pace felt great for me to draft with. This stopped after about 100m as people from the back made their way up to the front and contact began. People were swimming on top of me, stealing my drafts, and I had one person punch me in the jaw which caused my teeth to give a good cut in my upper lip.
The rest of the swim was a little slower pace and more open. I had a few swimmers come past me and I would draft off them. With the last 500 I caught a decent group and drafted in with them. One of the swimmers would keep stopping to look around and get going again. He also, lost track of sighting and swam completely off course for a while which allowed me to come out of the water up ahead of him.
What would you do differently?:

I feel to move up more in the swim I have to become more aggressive and fight people off who try to take my draft. I'm not sure whether this is right or whether I want to race that style.
Transition 1
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Coming out of the water there were volunteers helping to pull us onto our feet. I actually got myself oriented really well and running right out of the water. I made my way passed a few racers through transition and onto the bike. Trying to mount I could feel uneasiness in my stomach so I was scared to jump onto the bike. I made a clean mount and quickly got my shoes on and out on the course. My T1 time was the fastest of anybody in the entire race!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 20s
  • 40 kms
  • 39.33 km/hr
Comments:

The bike course was mapped out to be flat. Not any hills and no turn arounds meant it would be a good fast bike. I got out onto the main drag and started eyeing riders up ahead. There was a pack about half a mile ahead of me that I set myself a goal to chase down. A few miles into the bike a bad realization hit me: exhaustion. Whether it was from the heavy training from Wednesday or the lack of sleep the night before my legs were just aching to not give me 100%. I knew the course would call for a fast bike split and I wanted to make that happen so I kept fighting on. The flats were consistent of false flats so that you had to shift into an easier gear but not enough of hills to get you out of the saddle to climb. I was working my way past racers but never felt that extra gear that I know I have to just tear apart the course like at Kansas last month.

I think I need to dilute my fuel for the course. I eat too much on the bike and I just feel logged on the run because of it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

As I came into T2 I started eyeing the racers out on the run. There were a good 10 guys or so ahead of me which would give me some feet to chase on the run. The dismount line was difficult to see so I wasn’t able to hit it as fast as I would have liked. Going through T2 I had a little difficulty putting socks on but otherwise it went smooth as I headed out to take on the run.

Nothing I could do really. The dismount line was difficult to see. Possibly use sighting of landmarks to know where it would be like in swimming?
Run
  • 40m 32s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 04s  min/km
Comments:

Heading onto the run I had a few guys right with me to make for some good pacing. We got our legs moving right away and I felt this was going to be a good run. Within about a half mile the exhaustion of my body hit again. We hit the main road and suddenly my mind lost it. All I wanted was to stop and be done. It took a lot of mental fighting to keep my legs going. We turned onto the first of two out and backs and it was probably the worst part of the run. The mile out was just a false flat out and things were dwindling in my hopes of having a good day. Slowly, I got the cramping in my body to go away and keep moving at a decent pace.
Once I hit the 2nd turn around I tried to pull some positive thoughts into my head with only two miles to go. I told myself to think about something that was going right and focus on that. My arms felt great so I thought about keeping them pumping and consistent. My body started working better and my pace felt stronger as I focused on closing the gap between the racers ahead of me. With a mile left I was depleted of energy. I thought about one of my friends watching me and how I needed to set a good example for them as they head into cross country season so I fought for a pace for the last mile.
With a half mile left I saw that I was close to one racer ahead of me and I had to decide whether I would try to catch him or not. If I caught him, we were going to sprint to the finish and I did NOT want to sprint at this point. I had to convince myself that I needed to do this; I couldn’t just sit back and let him hold me off. I picked up the pace and with 150 meters to go I passed him and pushed, hoping he wouldn’t try to fight me back. I was able to break away and finish a good 15 seconds ahead of him.

More brick work. Injury as of late was a limiter.
Post race
Warm down:

Coming across the line my feet were hot. A little boy came to take off my chip and give me water and Gatorade and I found the nearest tree to cool off under. I threw off my shoes and just laid there for a while. I can’t believe I was able to keep moving after all that was going on leading up to the race.
Looking at my performance I feel it was a great showing for my first attempt at racing in the Elite category. I started strong on the swim, pushed hard on the bike, and remained positive on the
run. Being better rested would have helped my performance a lot. For the swim I feel to stay with the front group I would need to be more aggressive and get more physical to hold my position but I don’t want to turn into that type of a swimmer. For not it is time to get back to the pool and keep moving on up!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rest & Recovery.

Last updated: 2013-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 36/275
Performance: Average
Suit: N/A
Course: Straight out and back course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:20 | 40 kms | 39.33 km/hr
Age Group: 11/18
Overall: 18/275
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Rectangular course without any turnarounds. Not any real hills but a lot of steady inclines that caused you to shift into an easier gear.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:40:32 | 10 kms | 04m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 21/275
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back course with two out and backs. Relatively flat and exposed with a few false flats.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-16 7:54 AM

User image

Subject: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Evergreen Lake International Triathlon

Started by BAMBAM66
Views: 1749 Posts: 4

2008-07-29 8:01 AM morey1

Evergreen Lake International Triathlon

Started by wsm9363
Views: 1713 Posts: 3

2007-07-26 8:13 AM BAMBAM66

Started by JuDerb
Views: 1207 Posts: 2

2007-07-23 11:48 PM BAMBAM66

Started by McFuzz
Views: 2303 Posts: 13

2007-07-26 10:41 PM tashb

Started by CKinsey
Views: 1432 Posts: 3

2007-07-26 8:16 AM wsm9363
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.