General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Husband's hilarious HIM spectator race report Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-18 6:22 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Husband's hilarious HIM spectator race report

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I also didn't find it very funny and would feel bad if my husband came to my races and reacted like that. He doesn't come watch-- but my best friend does and he loves it.

Oh dear, haven't you learned that if you do not find this a cute article that you should keep your negative comments to yourself.

2013-07-18 6:40 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I also didn't find it very funny and would feel bad if my husband came to my races and reacted like that. He doesn't come watch-- but my best friend does and he loves it.

Oh dear, haven't you learned that if you do not find this a cute article that you should keep your negative comments to yourself.

Fixed that for ya...

2013-07-18 6:54 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Pro
I found it funny....but even I'm smart enough not to get these gals riled up if I didn't.  Laughing
2013-07-18 7:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Funniest thing I read in a long while but I got the British/Aussie humor thing going on!  I had Ricky Gervais' voice in my head reading this.
2013-07-18 10:39 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Some of you take yourselves way too seriously. How one experiences being a spectator is personal and varied.

This is a professional writer being entertaining. I found it to be a well written humorous piece that had me laughing out loud. Einstein would be baffled, by the grace of God time passes, reading the race rules, the questions he gets and his answers to peoples questions - hysterical.

BTW - congratulations to the OP on completing your first HIM.
How many of you, who are outraged by the husbands lack of enthusiasm, bothered to focus on the OP and her accomplishment.

Ricky Gervai - funny!
2013-07-19 1:40 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

ok, so what is it about this thread that one side of me is wishing it goes off to two page and oblivion and why does it irritate me enough to open my mouth again because someone just keeps censuring others opinion.  I have always thought BT was such a great place to express one's opinion without being beaten up.    

To  Lola, I think your accomplishment was great and I applaud you.  I mean no disrespect or criticism to you or to your husband or to the piece written. I just don't understand some of the responses towards those that have a contrarian viewpoint.  I don't think anyone has any malice towards you or your husband, just a different reaction to the words and sentiment.  Your husband's piece was put out there for others to comment on and many thought it was cute and that is great.  Isn't it OK on a public forum for some aspect of it to be commented on in a manner that doesn't jive with the popular sentiment? Some didn't feel "positive" about it for a number of reasons.  For me, some of those reasons are very personal and deep rooted.  Why should those opinions be so censured?  I haven't read malice into most of those comments but people have been called "haters" and I don't understand that type of vitriol reaction.

Heaven help me for hitting the submit button.  I really do love all you gals but there just seems an odd vibe through this.  Agree to disagree is usually an acceptable compromise but ..... 

2013-07-19 6:54 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

ok, so what is it about this thread that one side of me is wishing it goes off to two page and oblivion and why does it irritate me enough to open my mouth again because someone just keeps censuring others opinion.  I have always thought BT was such a great place to express one's opinion without being beaten up.    

To  Lola, I think your accomplishment was great and I applaud you.  I mean no disrespect or criticism to you or to your husband or to the piece written. I just don't understand some of the responses towards those that have a contrarian viewpoint.  I don't think anyone has any malice towards you or your husband, just a different reaction to the words and sentiment.  Your husband's piece was put out there for others to comment on and many thought it was cute and that is great.  Isn't it OK on a public forum for some aspect of it to be commented on in a manner that doesn't jive with the popular sentiment? Some didn't feel "positive" about it for a number of reasons.  For me, some of those reasons are very personal and deep rooted.  Why should those opinions be so censured?  I haven't read malice into most of those comments but people have been called "haters" and I don't understand that type of vitriol reaction.

Heaven help me for hitting the submit button.  I really do love all you gals but there just seems an odd vibe through this.  Agree to disagree is usually an acceptable compromise but ..... 

This.

This needed to be said.  Glad you hit the submit button. 

2013-07-19 7:31 AM
in reply to: Lora109

User image

I meant no disrespect by my comment above. Certainly a HIM is an amazing accomplishment that I dream about -- congratulations on your finish. But this wasn't a race report, it was a spectator report- and it was set up as "hilarious". I'm not offended by it and don't need to "lighten up." I just didn't find it that funny. Not my type of humour I guess. And I also put myself in the spectator's shoes and thought I wouldn't want to subject someone to that if they didn't enjoy the race vibe.
(I assume he didn't REALLY wish that you'd drop out ).
2013-07-19 8:14 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Originally posted by switch

This.

Ok, since you are sharing your feelings,

I'll throw mine in as to why I found some of the responses really offensive, and commented. 

The op really did not ask for critical response to her husband's article. She personally just thought it was cute and wanted to share it with BT.

She did not ASK us what we thought of it. Now, of course because this is an open forum people are gonna respond however they like... true.. But TT is supposed to be like "puppies playing on a blanket" (according to Ron), 

Some response's really came across as a smackdown of her husband which, in my opinion, was pretty uncool.

This truly was an, if you don't like it.. keep it to yourself appropriate moment.

And some peoples' comments WERE kinda mean. And because it's an open forum.. they were commented on.

No one really censored anything since, as far as I can see, nothing has been deleted.  

2013-07-19 8:19 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Expert

Originally posted by MuscleMomma Some of you take yourselves way too seriously. How one experiences being a spectator is personal and varied. This is a professional writer being entertaining. I found it to be a well written humorous piece that had me laughing out loud. Einstein would be baffled, by the grace of God time passes, reading the race rules, the questions he gets and his answers to peoples questions - hysterical. BTW - congratulations to the OP on completing your first HIM. How many of you, who are outraged by the husbands lack of enthusiasm, bothered to focus on the OP and her accomplishment. Ricky Gervai - funny!

Congrats!!!!

2013-07-19 8:36 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by KateTri1

This.

Ok, since you are sharing your feelings,

I'll throw mine in as to why I found some of the responses really offensive, and commented. 

The op really did not ask for critical response to her husband's article. She personally just thought it was cute and wanted to share it with BT.

She did not ASK us what we thought of it. Now, of course because this is an open forum people are gonna respond however they like... true.. But TT is supposed to be like "puppies playing on a blanket" (according to Ron), 

Some response's really came across as a smackdown of her husband which, in my opinion, was pretty uncool.

This truly was an, if you don't like it.. keep it to yourself appropriate moment.

And some peoples' comments WERE kinda mean. And because it's an open forum.. they were commented on.

No one really censored anything since, as far as I can see, nothing has been deleted.  

You're making a lot of good points here Kate, the most important of which, IMO, is reminding everyone of what Ron expects on BT.  His sandbox, his rules.

But I'd like to respond to the bolded part of your post.

There were many things that the OP said that described her husband and his report in glowing terms.  That's great; those are her feelings about her man.  Every married or partnered person on the board has feelings on juggling SO wants/needs with tri, and when you describe your husband as "hard core" you are opening yourself up to some opinions that would challenge that.  If you describe him as "hard core" following a race report post, well, again, people might push back on that a bit.

I've watched a lot of puppies play on blankets.  It's not always licks and cuddles.  Sometimes there's a growl, an ear tug, or a loud bark.  They're all still good puppies.

2013-07-19 8:54 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-19 9:29 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Why should those opinions be so censured?  

I'm guessing because they were personal attacks.

You can say "eh not my cup of tea" without personally attacking the OP or her husband.

2013-07-19 9:44 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

The lesson in all of this?  A lot of triathletes are Type A's . . . .

Not all Type A's get satire.

2013-07-19 9:58 AM

Expert
Boise, ID
Originally posted by lisac957

You can say "eh not my cup of tea" without personally attacking the OP or her husband.

Agreed.

You can disagree all you want, just try to show a shred of tact and class. Most did, one did not...

2013-07-19 10:02 AM
in reply to: TSimone

Expert
Originally posted by TSimone He wrote censured, not censored, and he makes a good point.  As do you and others.  Since sarcasm is my second language I found the article amusing.  Of course others may not.  Bottom line for me is congrats to the OP on finishing the HIM.  I heard it was tough out there. 

Oops. Sorry Pops. Embarassed

2013-07-19 11:03 AM
in reply to: Lora109

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I didn't read all of the responses but I thought it was a cute article, and I think my DH will as well. My DH is very supportive and attends most of my races. I'm sure he gets bored some but he continues to encourage, and take pictures.

I did a 5k with my son this last weekend and a friend's husband was complaining about waiting around while she did the 5k!

2013-07-19 11:34 AM

New user
Originally posted by lisac957

Plus, I don't think anyone is complaining that some people thought it wasn't very funny, people are complaining that a lot of those people have treated the article as if it was a serious piece instead of humorous.

I saw a number of people say things along the lines of "What a jerk that guy is. I can't believe someone would do those things. He should be more supportive of his wife. Plus it sounds like he's fat." If instead they had said "I didn't really find the piece humorous. The author had a overly sarcastic tone that really detracted from what little humor was there. Plus I think it might give people the wrong idea of what spectating a triathlon is really like." I don't think people would have gotten upset.
2013-07-19 11:59 AM
in reply to: switch

Champion
Austin, Texas

This.

X2 - I didn't like the article, "not my cup of tea" and I'm glad popsracer wrote this response. 

This is a PUBLIC INTERNET FORUM.  If you put something on this PUBLIC INTERNET FORUM for others to see, there will be opinions and comments - some of which you don't like or disagree with.  What you don't get to do when you post something, is you don't get to then dictate how others respond... well, except for Ron.  He gets to do that because he's the BT mastermind/God/guru/grand poobah. 

2013-07-19 2:19 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Whatever the technicalities of the associated morality code it's a shame a 'bit of fun' thread turned into this.

I think a few people can add a specific training session this weekend and see how quickly they can get over themselves.

And yes, I can guess the retort to that. Believe me, if I could, I would.
2013-07-19 4:30 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Expert
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

This.

X2 - I didn't like the article, "not my cup of tea" and I'm glad popsracer wrote this response. 

This is a PUBLIC INTERNET FORUM.  If you put something on this PUBLIC INTERNET FORUM for others to see, there will be opinions and comments - some of which you don't like or disagree with.  What you don't get to do when you post something, is you don't get to then dictate how others respond... well, except for Ron.  He gets to do that because he's the BT mastermind/God/guru/grand poobah. 

meh.. your response isn't my cup of tea... But you are right.. we can't dictate,, but we can respond to responses.

Just like you did. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Husband's hilarious HIM spectator race report Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Kona 2011 Volunteer/spectator report (really really long...) Pages: 1 2

Started by axteraa
Views: 3504 Posts: 42

2012-03-23 8:18 AM Mike_D

Family Spectators at your Race? Pages: 1 2

Started by shmoggy
Views: 2421 Posts: 29

2010-01-30 6:15 PM southwestmba

Kona Spectator's Report

Started by Rollin' Thunder
Views: 1307 Posts: 9

2009-10-15 2:35 PM Writebrained

Race day logistical question for spectators

Started by louiskie
Views: 1274 Posts: 4

2008-07-25 11:07 AM louiskie

my husband's new bike

Started by autumn
Views: 714 Posts: 8

2004-09-28 11:17 AM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : June 6, 2007
comments : 4
Coverage of the entire Mooseman Triathlon Festival with race video feeds, race reports and pictures.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : August 31, 2004
comments : 38
Know how to get around BT. Some essentials on emails, passwords, pictures, login problems and more.