General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Folsom Long Course Info Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-16 9:06 AM

User image

Los Gatos
Subject: Looking for Folsom Long Course Info

Hi all - I'm signed up for the Folsom LC on August 11 (which will be my first 70.3). I'm not going to be able to preview the course beforehand so looking for some info from locals and/or those who have done the race before.

The bike course looks to be about 2600 feet of climbing over the 56 miles. Any major hills to worry about, or is it gentle gradients all round? What's the quality of the roads (pot holes etc)? Nice wide cycle lanes or are we dodging traffic?

The run course looks to be two loops of an out+back in the park. Is this a trail run over dirt or is it on asphalt paths? Any hills or largely flat?

Appreciate your help - thanks.

2013-07-16 10:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights
Subject: RE: Looking for Folsom Long Course Info
Bike course is pretty flat overall, but very little of it is actually level. you're almost always on either a slight incline or decline. No significant hills to speak of at all. We're not quite into the foothills, but I'd call it the "slight steps before the foothills" (I'm sure somebody else can come up with the real name for this topographic region). Roads are all in decent shape. Some segments will have a fair amount of traffic, but pretty wide shoulders should leave plenty of room. I ride these roads plenty and am rarely nervous about vehicles (always a few idiots, but that's unavoidable).

Run is along the American River bike trail, a paved bike path. Some segments have a generous "shoulder" for off-pavement running if you prefer, but some don't. I'll add a couple pictures below.

Enjoy the race... Lake Natoma is a beautiful setting for a summer race because the water is still clear and cool. The bike can get hot, but the run course will have plenty of shade (as you can see from the trees in the picture). Still...respect the heat! It is most likely to be high-90s or into the low triple digits on race day.

Edited by Stillmanji 2013-07-16 10:06 AM

(ARBT-2.JPG)

(ARBT-1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
ARBT-2.JPG (178KB - 10 downloads)
ARBT-1.JPG (117KB - 12 downloads)
2013-07-16 10:41 AM
in reply to: Stillmanji

User image

Los Gatos
That's terrific info, thank you sir!

The run looks pretty flat - yes?
2013-07-16 11:06 AM
in reply to: smallard

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights
Yeah, pretty flat. A few rollers, but no significant climbs. Although after being out there for several hours...those little rollers sure seem steeper!

I raced the Oly last year, I love this location for swimming. Still haven't decided if I'm going to race the 70.3 or not this year... had a final "tune up" Oly this weekend, and really struggled with the heat during the run. I know I haven't been training hard enough in the heat to really be ready for it. I'm giving myself this week to think it over... registration jumps again after Aug 1.
2013-07-16 1:37 PM
in reply to: Stillmanji

User image

Los Gatos
Thank you!

I've been getting in some high temp racing without really meaning to. CIT in Pleasanton last month was above 100 degrees and I just did an oly in the UK which was close to 90 on race day (*very* unusual for the UK...)

I raced Pleasanton (both bike + run) with my Camelbak and I may well do the same again in Folsom.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Folsom Long Course Info Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for info on work:rest ratio for interval training

Started by jsnowash
Views: 2315 Posts: 3

2011-02-05 7:52 AM jsnowash

Short Course / Long Course

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1077 Posts: 6

2009-08-12 10:44 AM the bear

participation in triathlons for 08 / 09..looking for info

Started by trix
Views: 719 Posts: 8

2009-07-28 1:24 PM ScudRunner

Looking for info on race not on DB

Started by cobannero
Views: 625 Posts: 2

2006-08-01 1:44 PM rollinbones

my first long course - Australian Long Course Champs

Started by Kestrel
Views: 976 Posts: 1

2005-03-01 7:32 PM Kestrel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.