General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming from zero Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-16 10:58 AM

Subject: Swimming from zero
I can't swim. Heck I can't tread water very well. Not great for a 34year old with ambitions of doing Triathlons. I've been trying to teach myself along with a handful of lessons, but that isn't working so well...

At this point I'm done struggling in the water and am now looking for someone to coach/teach me to swim from zero. The few people I've talked to and used previously were more about fine tuning someone who had basic skills in the pool. I need someone to start from the very beginning. Focus on freestyle, but interested in learning the basics for the 4 major strokes.

I'm in Olathe KS, but for the right situation, I can travel around the KC Metro. I'm open to other suggestions on finding good swim instruction. FWIW, I just joined KCMultisport and plan on placing a plea for help there too.

Thanks,
John

2013-07-16 11:18 AM
in reply to: TazMinianDevil

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Swimming from zero
Welcome to BT John. Do you have a gym membership (place where you swim currently etc.)? I'm at Prarie Life Fitness in Olathe and I'm pretty sure they have lessons there. I swim with their masters group, great group by the way, and we've got many levels there at our 7-8PM TTH workouts. I can check for you if you like, we've got a workout tonight and I'll talk to our leader. I don't think he does private lessons but I can ask around. We've got a lady there now that when she first started she swam with her head up out of the water but she's now turning into quite the swimmer. No specific lessons per se but we all pitch in when a beginner starts the group. If you like beer/wine after workouts you'll fit right in. There's a good bunch of triathletes there, I've seen one or two wearing KC Multisport jerseys.
2013-07-16 11:40 AM
in reply to: reecealan

Thanks for the info.

Currently have a membership at Healthridge (close to and paid for by work). I haven't tried crashing the Masters Swim there. The person I've worked with before was recommend by the club when I asked about adult lessons.

I have considered joining Prairie Life too since I live only a mile south of there and it would make getting into the pool so much easier.
2013-07-16 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
And masters swim is included in your membership at PLF. I think it's $30/mo extra at Healthridge.
2013-07-16 1:18 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Welcome! I belong at HealthRidge as well and I think Ryan might be out there still - although he and I have yet to meet in person. Reece is correct the MasterSwim is an additional cost. However both swim coaches have solid reputations. My son was in the Junior Swim Program with Ginger and it is amazing how far he came and by the end of it he was doing 1,800 meter workouts.

I will likely be joining the Master Swim Program this winter.

You might look into seeing if one of the two coaches do private lessons.

Good Luck.
2013-07-16 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reece swims with a good group of people.  Can't go wrong if you choose that direction.  But from your description, you might need a bit more one-on-one attention.

2013-07-16 6:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Overland Park offers an adult beginner swimming class at the Matt Ross Community Center. I think it is only offered in the early spring as that seems to coincide with when most people are interested in learning to swim. If I recall correctly there are actually 2 levels: "total beginner" and something along the lines of "you can probably swim a lap or two but it ain't pretty". They also offer private and small group lessons. I think a key for you will be finding an instructor who has experience teaching people with similar experience and goals as you.

Edit: Oh yeah, welcome to the world of triathlon

Edited by mikec123 2013-07-16 6:41 PM
2013-07-16 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Yep, I attend Healthridge as well, thanks for the plug!

Coincidentally I'm branching out and taking the USAT level 1 coach certification asap (took the clinic, still trying to find the couple hours to wrap up taking the test). I'm out at Healthridge all the time and at varied times.

I do like masters swim groups, but they are right. If you are starting from scratch, you need a beginner group or one-on-one. After at least piecing together a hack job freestyle, I attended a masters swim group for a winter and improved dramatically. But, it was a painful process to figure out on my own.

Let me know if you ever want to meet up and chat about goals or anything. Since I'm newer to coaching, I'm cheap at the moment.

Disclaimer - I don't swim 12 minute 1000m like Patrick... yet.... maybe in 5 more years of training.
2013-07-17 8:48 AM

User image

New user

JoCo Kansas
Tazmin,

Last winter I took swim stroke lessons at the Prairie Life in Overland Park. There is an adult swim class on Sunday mornings at 10:30 (?) that helped me out tremendously. When I started it I swam like a barge. I was flat in the water with my head in the wrong position, and my body didn't move. It was maximum effort for minimum forward movement. Those classes worked wonders for me.

I enjoy swimming now. Love it. I plan on getting back in that class for a tune up on my stroke this fall once the summer schedule chills out. The OP Prairie Life also has a tri class every Wednesday evening that is terrific. the swimming part of the tri class ate me alive last year, and this year I look forward to it.

I live about a mile south of the Olathe P Life too. But work very close to the OP one.

And from my experience they don't necessarily need to be 1 on 1. I got lots of great instruction, and often it was just telling me what to work on and why, and then watching me do it over and over. Definitely go get the lessons.They will make your triathlon experience so much better.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
2013-07-17 9:10 AM
in reply to: Magnum Athletos

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like there are a few options to explore. Also getting out and meeting you all in person will probably help to

I did find out yesterday though that the swimming will have to take a break. I managed to get another abdominal hernia and need surgery. So my timing is a little off

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming from zero Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

COOL Swim Team Spring Swim Clinic

Started by atasic
Views: 1422 Posts: 4

2012-05-02 10:18 AM atasic

Swim for Ironman 70.3

Started by dfsifford
Views: 1534 Posts: 7

2008-06-11 8:15 AM dfsifford

Swim Coach

Started by gasoueagles6
Views: 1517 Posts: 4

2008-01-31 11:05 PM wingsfan

Where to swim in South Topeka

Started by Duane
Views: 916 Posts: 3

2007-06-22 5:45 PM AdamA

Open Water Swim Sunday May 20 Hillsdale Lake 4 pm Pages: 1 2

Started by geezerjock
Views: 4524 Posts: 26

2007-05-17 11:13 AM VeganMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
comments : 0
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...