of 3

2013-07-16 7:30 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Subject: RE: For the gun folks......
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by DanielG

I have some military experience. I used "impact area" for a reason, and "mounted" means the same thing to both of us. I have shot M16s, M50s, M203s and had some training calling artillery, just as a point of reference. This was 20 years ago, and the only stuff I've shot recently is all hunting related. I like learning about weapons, especially from people who know their chit, which you obviously do. I have never been in combat, so my understanding of real life applicability is limited, hence the questions.

Thank you, that gives me a point of reference. But did I answer your questions? Would you happen to have more? I've been an instructor of one sort or another my whole life, I actually enjoy this.

Well, yeah, one more question...wanna go shooting sometime?

I actually still have a weapons question--so you have these weapons that can shoot a chit ton of ammo in a short period of time.  Is there a point where more is just more for more's sake--you know, it's impressive, sure, but wholly unnecessary as a simpler weapon would do the same job and possibly more effectively? 

What weapon did the job of this weapon before this one existed?  How dramatic of an improvement is this?  Is it a game changer? At what point would additional iterations of this weapon for its current purpose be, well, just more iterations and not real improvements.

Dunno as I don't see the metal storm being fielded any time soon.

My guess is the actual take away from this isn't the million rounds per minute, it's the method of ammo, casing and firing control.
The only moving part is the bullet. No brass.

It's kinda like a runway model fashion show or a prototype car show. The odd looking dresses and funky cars aren't what's going to be on chicks or the street next year. It's a type of door, it's a specific cut, it's a type of motor and that which isn't part of the new model gets cut out of the new model.

2013-07-16 8:03 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I have some military experience. I used "impact area" for a reason, and "mounted" means the same thing to both of us. I have shot M16s, M50s, M203s and had some training calling artillery, just as a point of reference. This was 20 years ago, and the only stuff I've shot recently is all hunting related. I like learning about weapons, especially from people who know their chit, which you obviously do. I have never been in combat, so my understanding of real life applicability is limited, hence the questions.

Thank you, that gives me a point of reference. But did I answer your questions? Would you happen to have more? I've been an instructor of one sort or another my whole life, I actually enjoy this.

Well, yeah, one more question...wanna go shooting sometime? :)

I actually still have a weapons question--so you have these weapons that can shoot a chit ton of ammo in a short period of time.  Is there a point where more is just more for more's sake--you know, it's impressive, sure, but wholly unnecessary as a simpler weapon would do the same job and possibly more effectively? 

What weapon did the job of this weapon before this one existed?  How dramatic of an improvement is this?  Is it a game changer? At what point would additional iterations of this weapon for its current purpose be, well, just more iterations and not real improvements.

Dunno as I don't see the metal storm being fielded any time soon.My guess is the actual take away from this isn't the million rounds per minute, it's the method of ammo, casing and firing control.The only moving part is the bullet. No brass. It's kinda like a runway model fashion show or a prototype car show. The odd looking dresses and funky cars aren't what's going to be on chicks or the street next year. It's a type of door, it's a specific cut, it's a type of motor and that which isn't part of the new model gets cut out of the new model.
Hahaha! Perfect. Now we're back to this: boys, boys, boys. LMFAO!
2013-07-16 10:16 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Obviously this is for the military and not designed for any "home defense" type role.  I do want one, but I digress. 

In the military there are many different roles for weapons and this one would certainly fit a lot of them.  I don't know all the bells and whistles on this one, but I suspect it's a more reliable M60 replacement from a rate of fire standpoint.

In case you question the need for ~800 rds/min in a war zone, I'll raise you to 5000 rds/min.

Watch the extraction scene in "Act of Valor" (one of my favorite movie scenes EVER) you see the GAU-17/A minigun laying down some serious suppressive fire (~5000rds/min).  I would say the rate of fire is quite beneficial in this situation.    (oh, and I want one of these miniguns too(Santa, I've been very good this year)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz0kitcOegE

2013-07-17 6:58 AM

User image

Thanks to you both for the questions and answers, enjoyable reading.

2013-07-17 9:13 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by tuwood

Obviously this is for the military and not designed for any "home defense" type role.  I do want one, but I digress. 

In the military there are many different roles for weapons and this one would certainly fit a lot of them.  I don't know all the bells and whistles on this one, but I suspect it's a more reliable M60 replacement from a rate of fire standpoint.

In case you question the need for ~800 rds/min in a war zone, I'll raise you to 5000 rds/min.

Watch the extraction scene in "Act of Valor" (one of my favorite movie scenes EVER) you see the GAU-17/A minigun laying down some serious suppressive fire (~5000rds/min).  I would say the rate of fire is quite beneficial in this situation.    (oh, and I want one of these miniguns too(Santa, I've been very good this year)

These are good points Tony.  Let's work from here.

Improvements to weapons, fewer moving parts, easier maintenance, more effective, efficient, etc...all of these things seem like reasonable things to shoot for (sorry, eh).  

As Daniel described, this weapon--this class of weapon--plays a role in a multilayered (this isn't the right term but it's been a long time since I've taken a weapons or strategy class, forgive me) approach.  As I understand it, it's good to have some overlap of effective area, but too much, and you're wasting power and resources. 

In an era of budget cuts, it seems prudent to look at the roles each of these weapons plays--its niche--and to purchase and integrate prudently.  So, part of my question(s) is to just try to understand what the niche, application and potential improvements are. 

I can absolutely see why 5000rds/minute could be needed.  Again, just trying to understand where the improvements come to our current weapons capabilities.

I appreciate everyone's patience with me on this.  Just a little girl, tryin to understand

2013-07-17 10:33 AM

User image

I can absolutely see why 5000rds/minute could be needed. 

Home defense, of course.

That's after the $200 tax, the 6 month background investigation and signing away your 4th amendment, basically.

2013-07-17 11:36 AM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs

• ..signing away your 4th amendment, basically.

• They took that one a while ago, and didn't even charge us.
    2013-07-17 11:54 AM
    in reply to: bcart1991

User image

Originally posted by bcart1991

• ..signing away your 4th amendment, basically.

• They took that one a while ago, and didn't even charge us.

Go buy an NFA firearm legally and see if you still believe it's as gone as it could be

2013-07-17 7:24 PM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

These are good points Tony.  Let's work from here.

Improvements to weapons, fewer moving parts, easier maintenance, more effective, efficient, etc...all of these things seem like reasonable things to shoot for (sorry, eh).  

As Daniel described, this weapon--this class of weapon--plays a role in a multilayered (this isn't the right term but it's been a long time since I've taken a weapons or strategy class, forgive me) approach.  As I understand it, it's good to have some overlap of effective area, but too much, and you're wasting power and resources. 

In an era of budget cuts, it seems prudent to look at the roles each of these weapons plays--its niche--and to purchase and integrate prudently.  So, part of my question(s) is to just try to understand what the niche, application and potential improvements are. 

I can absolutely see why 5000rds/minute could be needed.  Again, just trying to understand where the improvements come to our current weapons capabilities.

I appreciate everyone's patience with me on this.  Just a little girl, tryin to understand

Yeah, I couldn't begin to describe the improvements they're shooting for.  In general I'd say it's a company doing what they feel will improve on an earlier design and then trying to convince the military that every enlisted person on earth needs to be carrying one.  lol

2013-07-18 1:11 PM
    in reply to: powerman

User image

Veteran
    Elmira, ON
    Originally posted by powerman

I would love one...

But no way I coul dafford to shoot it. Rounding up 500 rounds of 7.62 isn't exactly easy these day.

marstar.ca

I got a lil over 1400 rounds for $300 of 7.62x39. so if you need the x51 it might be a bit more...

so that would get you what...3 seconds of absolute fun with this thing right?
    2013-07-28 12:23 PM
    in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Expert
    watched the video for a few seconds, at first I was like what the optics are on top of the feed door, that's not gonna be very accurate, then I saw how stable it is under use, then i wanted one, then I realized that even the couple thousand rounds of ammo I have tucked away would be gone in minutes at the range, and I would have gone to very happy face to very sad face, then I still wanted one.

2013-07-28 1:32 PM
    in reply to: magic

User image

Originally posted by magic

watched the video for a few seconds, at first I was like what the optics are on top of the feed door, that's not gonna be very accurate, then I saw how stable it is under use, then i wanted one, then I realized that even the couple thousand rounds of ammo I have tucked away would be gone in minutes at the range, and I would have gone to very happy face to very sad face, then I still wanted one.

The, singular, drawback of a firearm with a giggle switch.

Keeping the thing fed. Too much money.

2013-07-28 1:33 PM

User image

Always.

2013-08-01 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
    SRQ, FL

I know it's only 4500 rounds per min but they are 20mm depleted uranium rounds..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgpQBZF2sZQ#at=41

2013-08-01 2:15 PM
    in reply to: TriRSquared

User image

Elite
    So back to reality.... I had my hands on a Walther PPQ M2 today. Read a bit about them, and certainly interested as a lefty... wow, what a nice pistol. Everything I read was true. The trigger is just about as nice as my custom one on my XD. My only problem is the next on the block is a XDs 45, and my anniversary is in 2 weeks... so not really the time to be bringing home some guns. Tongue out
    2013-08-01 5:16 PM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE
    Originally posted by TriRSquared

I know it's only 4500 rounds per min but they are 20mm depleted uranium rounds..

lol, I've personally shot one of those several times.  It's not too exciting because you just hold your finger on a button down in the bowels of the ship and it sounds nowhere near as cool.    I still have a pencil holder on my desk made form the brass on one of my shoots.

We would always oil up the barrels real heavy before a shoot to get a nice smoke tornado coming off the front of it while it was shooting.

2013-08-01 5:56 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

lol, I've personally shot one of those several times.  It's not too exciting because you just hold your finger on a button down in the bowels of the ship and it sounds nowhere near as cool.    I still have a pencil holder on my desk made form the brass on one of my shoots.

We would always oil up the barrels real heavy before a shoot to get a nice smoke tornado coming off the front of it while it was shooting.

Never dealt with those, I had to settle for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srWW1xf_5FY

Edited by DanielG 2013-08-01 6:08 PM
    2013-08-05 2:56 PM

CIWS

Captain it won't shoot
    2013-08-05 4:28 PM
    in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Wellp, the supply line has started filling up again. Found a few shelves full of various ammo so I had to pick up 500 rounds of 5.56 and 500 of .223. I didn't even clean them out.

Whole wall full of black rifles too. That was quite the difference from the bare shelves with gun hooks I'm used to seeing lately.

2013-08-05 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
    North Cackalacky
    I still can't find Primers for .308, though. Hopefully when I get back from my upcoming 3 month TDY.
    2013-08-06 6:10 AM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by DanielG Wellp, the supply line has started filling up again. Found a few shelves full of various ammo so I had to pick up 500 rounds of 5.56 and 500 of .223. I didn't even clean them out. Whole wall full of black rifles too. That was quite the difference from the bare shelves with gun hooks I'm used to seeing lately.

It is a refreshing site.  I'm still having a hard time finding .380 Gold Dots for my wife, but everything else we shoot is pretty well stocked now.

2013-08-11 10:16 PM

User image

Expert
    what my wife would look like with a giggle switch
    http://www.so.cl/#/post?i=2Gg1kuqiuO2Jatyi

BTW, I picked up a .308 Mossberg this weekend for budget friendly range fun. Might take it "hiking with guns" aka hunting at some point too.
    2013-08-12 5:15 PM
    in reply to: magic

User image

This is a drawing they sell at Ft Ruker and various other places.

Interestingly enough, that's 556. That specific aircraft was part of 4/17 Cav which became 4/2 ACR. My units, in other words. I've flown this tail number for God alone knows how many hours. I've always wanted that print.

2013-08-14 8:44 AM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by DanielG This is a drawing they sell at Ft Ruker and various other places. Interestingly enough, that's 556. That specific aircraft was part of 4/17 Cav which became 4/2 ACR. My units, in other words. I've flown this tail number for God alone knows how many hours. I've always wanted that print.

That's sweet.  I've been watching out for a good print of the Ship I was on.

2013-08-15 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
    North Cackalacky
    Any helicopter that I ever flew in combat is now a static display on a base or in a museum, or in The Boneyard.
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » For the gun folks...... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

STUDY: Using Guns for Defense Leads to Fewer Injuries

Started by DanielG
    Views: 2242 Posts: 20

2013-06-28 7:22 PM DanielG

Medical Groups Oppose Gun-Law Change To Share Mental Health Records

Started by DanielG
    Views: 1891 Posts: 11

2013-06-19 2:04 PM powerman