General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Austin biking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-16 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Subject: Austin biking
I'm headed to Austin this week to see the in-laws, and was wondering if anyone from the Austin area had some recommendations for where to ride (and run). They live between Southwest Pkwy and the 71, close to William Cannon Drive, if there is anything close by there. We have a long ride scheduled for Saturday and some track work scheduled for Sunday, so if there is an available track in the area I would appreciate info on that as well. Thanks!

2013-07-16 3:11 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

Plano, TX
Subject: RE: Austin biking
You might give Jack and Adams (LBS that puts on a lot of tris in the area) a call regarding the biking routes. I believe they do weekend rides and might be able to give you some suggestions. I've never ridden in Austin (moved before I was into tris/cycling) except for races, so sorry for not being much help there.

For running, it's not a track, but my suggestion would be to skip the track workout and enjoy the scenery (albeit hot) around Town Lake. It will not take you long to get there from where you're describing. Local running groups even stock water under a couple of the bigger bridges. I look forward to my runs in Austin everytime I travel to see family there. There will be a bunch of people there Sat and Sun morning....maybe even a race, but not so congested that it's irritating. Sorry if this is not new information and you really just wanted a suggestion of where to find a track

http://www.townlaketrail.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=1...

Another running option is the Barton Creek greenbelt, but I'm not as familiar with this.
2013-07-16 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by Sarah73

They live between Southwest Pkwy and the 71

Is Austin far enough west to call it "the 71"? Shouldn't it be "route 71", or just "71"? Where is the dividing line for adding the "the"?
2013-07-16 3:46 PM
in reply to: jte463

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Originally posted by jte463

You might give Jack and Adams (LBS that puts on a lot of tris in the area) a call regarding the biking routes. I believe they do weekend rides and might be able to give you some suggestions. I've never ridden in Austin (moved before I was into tris/cycling) except for races, so sorry for not being much help there.

For running, it's not a track, but my suggestion would be to skip the track workout and enjoy the scenery (albeit hot) around Town Lake. It will not take you long to get there from where you're describing. Local running groups even stock water under a couple of the bigger bridges. I look forward to my runs in Austin everytime I travel to see family there. There will be a bunch of people there Sat and Sun morning....maybe even a race, but not so congested that it's irritating. Sorry if this is not new information and you really just wanted a suggestion of where to find a track

http://www.townlaketrail.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=1...

Another running option is the Barton Creek greenbelt, but I'm not as familiar with this.

I appreciate the info! I did the HIM in Austin last year, but I wouldn't wish that bike course on anyone. I'll give Jack and Adams a call.
2013-07-16 4:49 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Originally posted by mrbbrad

Is Austin far enough west to call it "the 71"? Shouldn't it be "route 71", or just "71"? Where is the dividing line for adding the "the"?

Ha! Apparently I've lived in too many regions of this country. I'm all messed up with my linguistic peculiarities...y'all!
2013-07-16 6:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Originally posted by mrbbrad

It's actually called "Texas 71" or simply "71" :-)

Loop 360 (Capital of Texas Highway) out your way is a great highway to ride on! Huge shoulder but there are cars whizzing by you fast, so you have to be comfortable with that.

Ranch Road 620 is also a pretty good ride.

How long is your "long ride?"

Edited by julio26pt2 2013-07-16 6:05 PM

2013-07-16 7:03 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

How long is your "long ride?"

Aha! Good question. "Long" for me these days is about 50 miles
2013-07-16 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I usually go by Mellow Johnny's to rent a bike when I'm there. They have a lot of maps for bike riding.Mellow Johnny's

I also have rented bikes from Bicycle Sports Shop. Bikes

They have a lot of information.

Even though Austin is probably one of the most bike friendly cities in Texas, it is still a city with lots of traffic and congested areas. I frequently will go to meetings that meet in the Arboretum. It's fun to do the Capital of Texas Highway. If you can make it along Bull Creek Blvd and then turn right on Jester, there's a pretty good hill climb.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Austin biking Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Stolen in Austin at CapTex Tri

Started by Cashmason
Views: 2047 Posts: 13

2008-05-28 10:04 AM Daremo

Bike Routes in Austin / Roundrock

Started by KPA
Views: 446 Posts: 2

2004-08-02 2:16 PM BMF

Swimming in Austin TX

Started by Revenaught
Views: 674 Posts: 4

2004-05-27 9:58 PM Antelope

austin danskin?

Started by hils
Views: 680 Posts: 4

2004-06-14 9:55 PM hils

MS-150 (Houston to Austin)

Started by bowers25
Views: 722 Posts: 5

2004-04-23 3:41 PM bandd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.