General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Para-Triathletes -- totally amazing inspiration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-17 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Para-Triathletes -- totally amazing inspiration
I did the NYC Tri on Sunday, and among the racers was a field of PT athletes including the current tri world champ, other national champs of various distances/race types, and a number of other competitors, ex-military, blind, and others with various injuries. It may have been the most inspiring, fantastic thing I've ever seen at a sporting event, tri or otherwise.

I was in the next group to hit the water after they started the swim, and watching them get to the barge, jump in and go was incredible. On the bike I had a chance to chat with a couple of the PT competitors and one comment has stuck with me. A gentleman who'd lost a leg in Afghanistan remarked "everyone has their thing, this is ours".

I can't imagine the heart, soul, and guts it would take to get out there and compete after suffering an injury like a lost limb, but to see these folks do what they do, it was freakin' incredibly awesome. It was an honor & privilege to be on the course with them.

2013-07-17 8:39 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Para-Triathletes -- totally amazing inspiration
Totally agree, Mike. In my first OLY I was really nervous about the swim. Several waves of para triathletes swam before I did, and their courage totally inspired me.
2013-07-17 8:47 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Mike_D I did the NYC Tri on Sunday, and among the racers was a field of PT athletes including the current tri world champ, other national champs of various distances/race types, and a number of other competitors, ex-military, blind, and others with various injuries. It may have been the most inspiring, fantastic thing I've ever seen at a sporting event, tri or otherwise. I was in the next group to hit the water after they started the swim, and watching them get to the barge, jump in and go was incredible. On the bike I had a chance to chat with a couple of the PT competitors and one comment has stuck with me. A gentleman who'd lost a leg in Afghanistan remarked "everyone has their thing, this is ours". I can't imagine the heart, soul, and guts it would take to get out there and compete after suffering an injury like a lost limb, but to see these folks do what they do, it was freakin' incredibly awesome. It was an honor & privilege to be on the course with them.

Micky D Congrats on your race and most of all on embracing what's best and most important in triathlon. Heart.

The very first tri I did was a benefit for the Challenged Athletes Foundation and it made a massive impression on me to see so many visually, audially, physically challenged athletes out there (usually as they where zooming by me!) Also those who had guides ... just everything about it was awe-inspiring.

Please see my sig line

Also because I love him so much and I finally found someone as crazy as I am, I'm now together with a guy that Michael Phelps could only hope to be like ... he dominated 5 Paralympics in swimming and that's honestly not even the most impressive thing about his person or accomplishments.

2013-07-18 6:01 AM

User image

it is seriously inspiring - at the Oly I did this past weekend there was a blind gentleman that I saw and the one the weekend before that where I volunteered, there was an amputee competing in the military division - seeing what they do, what they have overcome...
2013-07-18 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
I remember starting to feel tired and wondering if I'd finish a race, then just a moment later, ai caught sight of a paratriathlete coming the other way on the bike course, and just immediately telling myself "oh yeah? Tell that guy you're just too fat and tired."
2013-07-18 7:53 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I have done several races where I saw the physically challenged athletes in various potions of the course and am always left feeling like a whiny baby when I complain of a little ache/ pain after seeing the obstacles they contend with.

2013-07-18 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
My first triathlon was the C Different triathlon. C different is a foundation dedicated to supporting blind athletes. I was amazed by their bravery and it helped me overcome my fears.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Para-Triathletes -- totally amazing inspiration Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Para-triathlete Hector Picard to compete in Conchman 2010, Freeport, Bahamas

Started by islandflyer
Views: 558 Posts: 1

2010-10-25 5:54 PM islandflyer

Please tell me I didn't totally screw up my training

Started by NomadicDawn
Views: 956 Posts: 13

2005-06-20 11:46 AM Baseball1

Totally shameless post for myself Pages: 1 2 3

Started by max
Views: 3209 Posts: 65

2005-11-08 10:27 AM isis54

I am totally embarrassed to admit this....

Started by keepitup
Views: 1025 Posts: 15

2004-10-18 10:05 AM ODogg

Totally Pysched

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 969 Posts: 7

2004-03-01 10:09 AM montyb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.
date : January 8, 2010
author : tiridako
comments : 1
I had decided on doing an Ironman when I was in second grade, after my dad and mom left for Hawaii for two weeks so dad could do the Kona Ironman. Triathlon seemed to be the ultimate sport.

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
comments : 0
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : February 8, 2007
author : mscotthall
Everyone and anyone that has ever raced in a triathlon should take it upon themselves to volunteer at just one event next season. It is an eye-opening and inspirational experience.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Bill
comments : 9
Reflecting on the events in my life that led to my being waste deep in water wearing spandex with a latex cap over my freshly shaved head.
date : May 16, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
The word enthusiasm comes from Greek enthousiasmos or “inspiration by the presence of a god.” If you are enthusiastic about your sport, I encourage you to honor that inspiration by finding balance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Several years ago, I got the urge to do a triathlon. When my second pregnancy occurred almost immediately following the first, I mentioned to my sister-in-law that I would never get around to.