General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Bike Sizing Question? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-19 8:42 AM
in reply to: ptri1

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Ironman Bike Sizing Question?

Originally posted by ptri1 not trying to hijack this thread, but can a person's stack and reach measurements change (as they get older, stronger, more flexible, etc....)? thanks

Yes

2013-07-19 8:49 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Connecticut
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by ptri1 not trying to hijack this thread, but can a person's stack and reach measurements change (as they get older, stronger, more flexible, etc....)? thanks

Yes

Care to elaborate a little on what specifically causes stack changes and specifically causes reach changes? i think the OP was questioning this in the initial post on this thread. for example, if i can choose between a 54 and a 51cm P2 assuming they both fit my stack and reach numbers, should i lean towards buying the 54 or 51 given this is the first tri bike i have ever ridden on?

thanks again

cheers
2013-07-19 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
The changes = Flexibility in terms of the aggressiveness of the position, size of the rider (you can ride in a different position with less, er...mass in certain areas), and core strength. Generally, however, a frame that fits you well today can be adjusted to overcome these changes over time. We're not talking about several centimeters of change, we're talking about *maybe* 1 or 2.
2013-07-19 9:00 AM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by ptri1

Yes

Care to elaborate a little on what specifically causes stack changes and specifically causes reach changes? i think the OP was questioning this in the initial post on this thread. for example, if i can choose between a 54 and a 51cm P2 assuming they both fit my stack and reach numbers, should i lean towards buying the 54 or 51 given this is the first tri bike i have ever ridden on? thanks again cheers

In the OP's case, he is just starting out, so look for something that will work well now and give a little room for the future. He might be able to go a bit lower as he gets used to riding the tri position. Or he might not. It varies by individual. Some don't develop any more in this manner. Some don't really need to as their position may already be quite good.

2013-07-19 9:47 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Note in the article I linked before, a bike that "fits" was considered to be one that would work well with the saddle &bars selected with no head tube spacers and a flat stem of ~90-100mm in length.

Awesome. This is the type of info I am really looking for. I keep hearing guys say bikes are adjustable, so it doesn't matter EXACTLY which bike you get. But I know scabbing on a bunch of shims is just going to hurt handling and/or aerodynamics, so I haven't came around to that flavor of koolaid.

Having no spacers and a fairly minimal stem, basically means the stack and reach of the frame would be spot on for your body, right?

And yes, you're right about the Cervelo's, the P2/3 don't have a frame that looks like I'd ever be comfortable, by the time their reach comes short enough, I'd need a super long seat extension. No good.

The baby will be here within the week, so I won't be able to travel for a couple weeks to hit an independent pro fitter, but it's on the map so I can verify or disprove what the BG Fitter put me into at the shop.
2013-07-19 10:08 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
What I found with the Speed Concepts is that if you match frame type and components to other manufacturers you be about $1k higher with the Speed Concept, unless you get it on sale or some other type of discount. At least that's my perspective.

Disclaimer: I own a Speed Concept that I purchased during a model year end clearance sale.

Edited by 1Dude 2013-07-19 10:08 AM

2013-07-19 3:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
I just bought a medium SHIV this past weekend... the only numbers different were the reach numbers were different from my previous bike... but I also felt that the reach was too far on the Valdora since I had the seat post almost maxed out forward.

My size is almost like yours: 5' 9.5" height / 34" inseam... not quite as longed torso as you.

Valdora PHX2 540/430, aero pad drop 5"
SHIV 540/405, aero pad drop 4", but have room to lower another 1/2 inch, but for now my angles are really solid.

I'll start that I've had 3 fist sessions in 1.5 years and so my numbers are pretty well known.. I have them on paper and referred to them on the build up of the SHIV. I think that it's possible that you can't fit a medium SHIV and based on your smaller torso ratio than mine... I just finishing the build of it. I had to move the arm rest pads toward the seat by one hole position and move the elbows in a position. One thing that I didn't like after awhile was that the Valdora aero bars didn't allow for any pad repositioning in any direction... it was where it was, you had to fit the bar instead of the other way around. My only concern is that your seat post may be so far up on the SHIV small that it's, hopefull not, almost at the recommend max height of the seat post.

I don't think, but I may be wrong, someone can correct me... but I don't think that your elbows should be directly under your shoulder sockets, they should have an angle forward, the elbows should be a few inches forward of the shoulder sockets.

BTW, what number did you get for you aero pad to seat drop?

Here are pics between the 2 bikes:

PS: I need to shorten the cables now since I built this on my own (that way I can mind meld and learn about the bike and mechanicals)... now I take it back to the LBS and they'll finish the build and tune up and I'll be off.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-07-19 3:46 PM

(0707131100small.jpg)

(0719131336small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0707131100small.jpg (24KB - 20 downloads)
0719131336small.jpg (33KB - 19 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Bike Sizing Question? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

bike size - post your stats (height, build, brand, bike size) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by michael_runs
Views: 11897 Posts: 56

2011-10-11 11:40 PM Left Brain

Question about difference in leg size/foot size for running

Started by SamuelK
Views: 1777 Posts: 3

2008-01-16 9:38 AM amiine

Bike size question

Started by Fred D
Views: 997 Posts: 6

2007-02-13 12:51 PM Rocket Man

Bike fit question....basic size.

Started by FishrCutB8
Views: 2526 Posts: 10

2006-12-04 11:05 AM FishrCutB8

Question on Bike sizing

Started by Rencor
Views: 1305 Posts: 19

2006-01-19 3:51 PM camy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.