General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clearlake International Triathlon Anyone Going?? Feedback please?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-18 5:27 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: Clearlake International Triathlon Anyone Going?? Feedback please??
Guys

I notice i am free on August 24. I am expressing interest in attending Clearlake International Triathlon. I read
it is Olympic distance anyone going?? Feedback from previous years??
link:
http://www.out-loud.org/index.php/triathlons/clear-lake-internation...

Sincerely

Carl

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-18 5:30 PM

2013-07-18 7:00 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Clearlake International Triathlon Anyone Going?? Feedback please??
Hey Carl,

I did the sprint in 2010. It is the same RD who does Oilman, Du The Bear. Well put on race and I will be doing the Oly as well this year.
2013-07-18 8:42 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

No first hand experience with that race but my buddy at work really enjoyed the oly at clear lake. Mentioned the swim was particularly well set up.
2013-07-18 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Not a fan of that race at all.  I haven't done it in a couple of years but it was arguably one of the worst run races I've ever done.  Poorly policed intersections nearly got me and a few other people killed in 2009.  Then there's the 2011 race in which the bike course was 28.4 miles (the international/olympic distance is 24.8 miles).

Maybe it has gotten better.  They lost me as a customer though.

2013-07-18 11:00 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Not a fan of that race at all.  I haven't done it in a couple of years but it was arguably one of the worst run races I've ever done.  Poorly policed intersections nearly got me and a few other people killed in 2009.  Then there's the 2011 race in which the bike course was 28.4 miles (the international/olympic distance is 24.8 miles).

i believe you with the bike leg ill seriously bring it up to them. How's the swim leg? how are the kayaks spread apart?

thanks man
2013-07-18 11:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Originally posted by strykergt
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

i believe you with the bike leg ill seriously bring it up to them. How's the swim leg? how are the kayaks spread apart? thanks man

I believe the bike course is completely different now.  They took a lot of flak for screwing up the distance in 2011.

The swim is now in a marina.  It was actually in Clear Lake when I last did it.

Like I said, maybe they have gotten their sh*t together over the last couple of years and it runs smoothly now.

2013-07-19 8:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
I did the sprint last year, and they must have listened to the complaints. All intersections were policed to the max, zero safety issues on the bike course for 2012. The only mishap I saw was at the bottom of of the big bridge someone got out of control and caused an accident, but that was his fault. It was my first tri ever, so I didn't have much to compare to, but I thought the swim was fine (more loops for the Oly and I little farther out on the second loop) plenty of safety support (more than Kemah had this year), it is a ladder exit and I think there were about 6-8 ladders to climb, I was in the front of my group so I had no wait time there. The run was a run... not much to say, run around some boats, by and through some apartments and back to the finish. After completing a few more tri's since this one, I would say that this production company put on a very good race.

Justin

Edited by toodamnbroke 2013-07-19 8:04 AM
2013-07-19 8:54 AM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pro
CyFair
I've had the same experiences as Bob (Gman).  I did it the year before last and there was a ton of gravel on the bike course, poorly policed intersections, etc.  I swore I'd never do the race again.  That said it fit nicely into my schedule, and budget, this year and I'm back.  See you out there.
2013-07-19 10:41 AM

New user

Houston
my husband did it for three years and every year, they listened to feedback and made changes to the next year's race. The year with the poor bike course was the first time they'd held it in that location and may not have known about the issues out there. They seem to be the most responsive to participant organizers I've every seen and the other events they put on are great. I'm doing the sprint this year and don't have any worries (beyond the normal ones of drowning, crashing and tripping).
2013-07-19 4:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys/Gals

I really need to know how far apart are the Kayaks!

I believe i can pull off the swim portion. Dont ask me how lets just say I wont have a hard time looking for my bike at Transition.
Believe me I'll can make it up on dry land.

@Bob Thanks for the warning ill be careful with the bike ride. "I never sacrifice safety with speed"

@justin-Thanks for the feedback hows the new Tri bikefit going?

@Kati
Thanks for the info.,Goodluck to teh hubby , you are very supportive.

@Coach Scott
Thanks for the positive outlook.

I am almost certain ill be there since this is good practice for Oilman. I am even dragging friends along.

Cheers

Carl

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-19 4:12 PM
2013-07-19 5:15 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
I can't tell you exactly how far apart they are, but I can say that I thought there was a ton of them!! Also, the swim portion on the sprint (and most of the Oly) is right down the side of the boat docks. So if at any point you feel like you MUST get out/be saved, you can swim 10' over to the docks and hold on or climb out. It is not out in the open water of the lake, you are never far from land, albiet fake wooden land, but dry nonetheless.

My fit is awesome. I did a nice training ride Sunday morning and hit mile 50 for the 2nd time ever (atleast in the last 9 years) and had 0 fatigue, 0 issues with comfort. I thought, I'm going to go ahead and do 70 miles today.... Then at mile 54 I got behind some slower peeps, hit the front brakes too hard and Endo-d right over.... It hurt ALOT!!!! Luckily I was able to walk away and my bike was not even scratched... IT RODE ME.. I finished up another 8 miles and called it a day. Now 5 days later I am finally able to walk with only a slight limp and all the scrapes are starting to heal, but it still hurts when clothes rub on them... Shoulder is jacked and knee is a little messed up.. But nothing that shouldn't heal in the next few weeks. But the FIT was AWESOME!!!

Justin

2013-07-19 5:37 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by toodamnbroke

I can't tell you exactly how far apart they are, but I can say that I thought there was a ton of them!! Also, the swim portion on the sprint (and most of the Oly) is right down the side of the boat docks. So if at any point you feel like you MUST get out/be saved, you can swim 10' over to the docks and hold on or climb out. It is not out in the open water of the lake, you are never far from land, albiet fake wooden land, but dry nonetheless.

My fit is awesome. I did a nice training ride Sunday morning and hit mile 50 for the 2nd time ever (atleast in the last 9 years) and had 0 fatigue, 0 issues with comfort. I thought, I'm going to go ahead and do 70 miles today.... Then at mile 54 I got behind some slower peeps, hit the front brakes too hard and Endo-d right over.... It hurt ALOT!!!! Luckily I was able to walk away and my bike was not even scratched... IT RODE ME.. I finished up another 8 miles and called it a day. Now 5 days later I am finally able to walk with only a slight limp and all the scrapes are starting to heal, but it still hurts when clothes rub on them... Shoulder is jacked and knee is a little messed up.. But nothing that shouldn't heal in the next few weeks. But the FIT was AWESOME!!!

Justin

thanks for the intel Justin that helps. Take it easy man , We still have to orry bout the crazy drivers in town
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clearlake International Triathlon Anyone Going?? Feedback please?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Clear Lake International Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by x_caliber50
Views: 7087 Posts: 85

2009-09-04 6:46 AM craigvars

TriAmerica Clearlake June 14-15

Started by tajsss
Views: 799 Posts: 6

2008-04-23 11:42 PM Super T

rain, please go away...

Started by anth0424
Views: 822 Posts: 10

2007-07-04 4:13 PM aprils

Bike/Tri Shops Feedback/Input

Started by mkmbharris
Views: 947 Posts: 4

2006-09-22 3:19 PM itri2

Buffman & Squeaky International Distance Triathlon

Started by codytriguy
Views: 1511 Posts: 3

2006-04-04 6:46 PM sebjamesm
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : February 10, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors

date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.
date : March 9, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
"I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.
date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.