General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you own a road bike for training & a tri bike for races? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-20 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4809111

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Do you own a road bike for training & a tri bike for races?
I have both. Keep in mind most of us didn't run out and buy both at once. Usually, it's first comes road bike, then comes tri bike (then comes aero helmet and a set of $$$$ race wheels

I raced tris on my road bike for 6 years before getting a tri bike.

2013-07-20 9:18 AM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

I originally wanted to get a tri bike because I thought I would only train alone and didn't want to ride in group rides. I experienced a bit of price tag shock when I first looked and realized that the bikes are built for 1 specific purpose so there aren't any real entry level tri bikes. You can get a decent entry level road bike for half the cost that is much more versitle.

A year later and I've started to ride with a group of friends. We will probably enter a 60mile bike race in October and just have fun with it. ts something I didn't think I would ever do until the opportunity presented itself.

Good luck on your choice!
2013-07-20 4:51 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Regular
I use my tri bike for training and my road bike for commuting.
2013-07-20 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Cervelo P2 and S2. There is one hilly race where I use my road bike. Same course for next years Age Group Worlds ...
2013-07-21 8:33 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Depends on what you want to do, ultimately. I own both, Cervelo P1, just an entry level tri bike that I have started to upgrade, for racing and solo rides. Scott Foil 30 is my road bike for group rides, and just whenever I don't feel like riding the Cervelo. I say if you are just getting into tris, then use an existing bike, whatever you have or can borrow, and determine if you like it, before you go and drop $ on either a road or a tri bike. I have found myself in the middle of a race wondering why I do this as a hobby, when I could be sitting on the couch with a scotch or something, but I keep coming back for more. So, I figured that was enough to go and buy a bike.
2013-07-22 11:27 AM
in reply to: Wthore

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
I started with a a road bike and added clip on bars then this year getting read y for my 70.3 and taking it more serious I bought a Shiv and kept the road bike as well.

As most have said about 70% of my training is on the road bike due to riding with friends and a lot of my training is in the mountains.

2013-07-22 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I have both.  Started off with a roadie (Specialized steel frame Allez) and I still have a long lasting deep love with this special young lady.  Maybe I'm a little crazy to love my bike....

However, I found a great used Tri bike last fall that I had on my trainer all winter and now that is what I pretty much exclusively train on.  I even take it in group rides, but I'm very cautious.  I tend not to get into the pass lines until after the group starts to spread out.  Some of the really aggressive roadies like having me there cuz I'm a tri bike (d-bag).  They are kidding but they like how we can push the pace too.

I keep my roadie well tuned up and it is on my trainer now to hop on if there is rain or I just need a change of pace.  Also I keep my roadie becasue I like to do RAGBRAI, which unfortunately I won't be doing this year.

2013-07-22 12:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Started out with a road bike (Felt Z25) and then got into tris 3 years later. Immediately bought a P2 and loved that bike. About 7 weeks ago, I got hit by a car training on it, so I jumped at the chance to upgrade to a Cervelo P5.

I see lots of people in tris on road bikes. Some with aero bars and some without. Whatever it takes, just get out there and have fun.

I train mostly on my tri bike, but ride my roadie for slower, recovery rides and some interval work.

Edited by PHXATC 2013-07-22 12:32 PM
2013-07-22 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I own both. And nope, it's definite the economic way to go. But I will say that after months of hard training on my tri bike, rolling out on my road bike is a joy.

Probably the best compromise I've seen is a nice aero road bike with a tri setup. I've seen them frequently on the roads and then of course they were prominent in the 2nd time trial of the tour.
2013-07-22 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Currently I have five bikes, four of which see fairly regular use. I have listed them below in the order of importance to me and given the reason why each falls where it does in the priority list.

1) Cyclocross - this bike mainly sees use for cyclocross racing (which I didn't do last season and probably won't this year due to scheduling issues) however if I could only have one bike, this would be it. Add slicks and it is good for road racing/training, clipons for triathlon/TT and rack/fenders and it is good for commuting.

2) Road - most training is logged on this bike; very comfortable and I generally do lots of training in groups with youth and junior athletes. It usually has a set of clipon aerobars although I haven't done a triathlon on this bike because it is helpful when training these athletes how to draft in a triathlon.

3) Fixie - commuter - great for commuting throughout the year, most of my riding is on this bike

4) Tri bike - I've raced almost every triathlon I've done on this bike (got it in season 2 of racing) with the exception of draft legal events since I've gotten this bike as well as several TT's. It sees a few rides each year outside of racing but is generally just used on race day

5) Mountain bike - sees a couple of rides a year but I'm much more of a road rider than a mountain biker so this mainly collects dust

Shane
2013-07-22 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
I have:
1 Tri bike (Cervelo P2) - for going fast
1 Cyclocross bike that doubles as a roadbike (Scott Team CX) - for training
1 Comfort / mountain bike (Giant Cypress) - for riding with the kids and on some mild trails

I absolutely need a few more. I still need a 'climbing' road bike (a light Pinarello Dogma would do), an aero roadbike in case I sign up for a critarium (Cervelo S5 perhaps) , a 29" Hardtail, a Cross Country Mountain bike, a folding bike for when I travel. My wife thinks I have 2 or 3 too many already.

2013-07-22 1:20 PM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
BTW, there was a quote about this that was on some website or email that made the rounds a while back. It goes something like:

X-1= the number of bikes you need

where

X= the number of bikes it will take for your spouse to divorce you
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you own a road bike for training & a tri bike for races? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Who owns both a Tri and a Road bike Pages: 1 2 3

Started by dbrawders
Views: 2698 Posts: 53

2009-08-07 9:12 PM dbrawders

Train on road bike, race with a tri bike

Started by drtrouta
Views: 2189 Posts: 20

2009-01-27 10:19 PM agarose2000

To train on road bike or tri bike

Started by bartturner
Views: 2824 Posts: 18

2008-10-15 3:25 PM Daremo

Road bike or Tri bike for hilly race

Started by rzzqb8
Views: 1032 Posts: 4

2008-08-07 9:54 AM Ace5880

tri bike vs road bike for HIM and IM races

Started by smhammond
Views: 1100 Posts: 7

2008-02-15 2:33 AM RDub in Kona
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 3, 2009
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.